Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

72mm Tweet? CAT408? SB26STCN? LD22C? SB29RDNC? Opinion/measurements? Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72mm Tweet? CAT408? SB26STCN? LD22C? SB29RDNC? Opinion/measurements? Recommendation?

I've been listening to my Last Hurrahs for months now, and never listen for a long time. I've concluded the CSS LD25X just is not doing it for me. There is an edge toward the low end of the tweeter range that just has me beat. My first pair had wildly mismatched fs and were obviously part of the QC issues. Got another pair from a friend on the board here. They measured well, but still, these are not the tweeter I expected from the early hype.

Before I drag these speakers out to the shop and start drilling and routing for other tweeters, I'd like to hear experiences with other tweeters that would fit the cutout. What do I like in a tweeter? Hiquphons always please. Smoothness over a detailed edge.

Need to cross about 2200ish, but could go a bit higher.

Opinions solicited and most welcome! Willing to buy some tweets and save some labor. But, if that does not work, in go the Hiqs.

Seems Morel CAT408 and some higher priced Morels would fit. Also CSS LD22C, but not sure I want to try CSS again. SB26STCN is getting good reviews. SB29RDNC will also fit

Your thoughts??

Thanks,
    MG

Re: 72mm Tweet? CAT408? SB26STCN? LD22C? SB29RDNC? Opinion/measurements? Recommendat

Hi maynardg,

I used the SB29RDCN-0004 and the LD25x back to back. Having said that, my LD25x's were very early models and I'm not sure what the story is about the QC issues (did this come up during a second run? or...). The LD25x was a nicer tweeter from my perspective although the SB29 had a ton of power handling and output on it. The SB29 could cross lower, louder, and cleaner when pushed down into the 1500hz range. 2200hz is on the high side for that tweeter! What the LD25x did better (from my poor audio memory) was sound clearer and cleaner. A very transparent sound.

Based on that, I don't think the SB29 is your tweeter unless you wanted to really drive the XO point hard, or try 2nd order slopes (acoustic). And I do like the SB29 very much.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Re: 72mm Tweet? CAT408? SB26STCN? LD22C? SB29RDNC? Opinion/measurements? Recommendat

Maynard, with experience with all of the tweeters you mentioned, my first recommendation would be the SB26STCN. It has extremely flat response, very low distortion, can cross over quite low, and in my opinion is quite a step up from the CSS LD22C. I like it better than the SB29 too, especially at the crossover point you mentioned.

Sorry the LD25X didn't work out for you. My original set were wonderful, but there were some significant issue with some batches that caused the tweeter to easily become mismatched in response and impedance.

Here's the response of the SB26STCN on my Soprano baffle. Most the response deviations are diffraction effects, showing just how smooth this tweeter is on its own (ignore the SPL, it's not calibrated to anything):

Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I like the LD25X above the XO point. The harshness is below. Even crossing up at 2800, the harshness remains. Audible distortion of some kind in vocals and some instruments. Don't hear it in the mid at all. In the overtones perhaps. How else can one explain the destruction of otherwise angelic voices?

Re: the SB26STNC, you have said great things about it and I certainly believe you. Haven't been within easy driving range of IN or IA the past couple of years, so have not heard it. It is great to know there is still a great 5 cent cigar.

I may try to take a week off and make IA this fall. May sneak along some large bookshelf speaks I am noodling.

Anyone else on the 72mm tweets?

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
          Thanks Jeff. I like the LD25X above the XO point. The harshness is below. Even crossing up at 2800, the harshness remains. Audible distortion of some kind in vocals and some instruments. Don't hear it in the mid at all. In the overtones perhaps. How else can one explain the destruction of otherwise angelic voices?

Re: the SB26STNC, you have said great things about it and I certainly believe you. Haven't been within easy driving range of IN or IA the past couple of years, so have not heard it. It is great to know there is still a great 5 cent cigar.

I may try to take a week off and make IA this fall. May sneak along some large bookshelf speaks I am noodling.

Anyone else on the 72mm tweets?
          The problem with the LD25X came from the way it was made with the removable faceplate. When the faceplate was installed it could create varying amounts of clamp load on the dome assembly and this pushed the Fs of the tweeter all over the place. It also tended to increase distortion if the coil / dome assembly wasn't secured properly. It was unfortunate that this happened because when assembled correctly it was an excellent tweeter.

Comment

The Vifa NE25 series are the same size I believe though I think only the silk dome version is available now. I have the aluminum one and really like it. Not harsh but still detailed. Another option for you.
            I think augerpro has listened to all the versions including the silk.
            Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
            Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
            Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
            Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
            Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Well, that would be a 66mm flange, but Thank You!

Comment

If you can open up the tweeter recess a little . . .

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...former-Tweeter
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Oops sorry about that. For some reason I thought the the SB26 was the same size...thats what 12 hours of total sleep for the whole week gets ya.
                  Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
                  Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
                  Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
                  Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
                  Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Thanks for the idea, Pete. I think, though, that if I am doing surgery on the already finished boxes, I'll just put in my Hiquphons.

If you can open up the tweeter recess a little . . .

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...former-Tweeter

Comment

No love for Morel eh? Morel tweeters are what got me into this hobby actually (MDT-30 build several years ago). I can't imagine them not stacking up against modern offerings (except in cost). I need to revisit them soon in a build to confirm this though.
                      Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                      Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

It does not seen they get much chatter any more. My second build many years ago used the larger version MDT32. Seemed fine at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
                          No love for Morel eh? Morel tweeters are what got me into this hobby actually (MDT-30 build several years ago). I can't imagine them not stacking up against modern offerings (except in cost). I need to revisit them soon in a build to confirm this though.
                          I have the ET-448 here now to test out. The CAT308 recently did an excellent job for me.

Jeff

Comment

I'll be interested in what you find and hear on the ET448 esp. compared to lower priced alternatives - SB26STCN in particular. That is about as much as I would spend. Sometimes $$ buy a bit more, other times, not so much.

Yes, Morel is a range we don't hear about as much.

Comment

Thought I'd bump this and see if anyone else has some thoughts. I think I'll go with the SB26STCN unless I hear a last minute appeal for an alternative from Morel perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X