Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing Q's: Re: High-Heat Automotive Paints....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chad1376
    replied
    Re: Finishing Q's: Re: High-Heat Automotive Paints....

I always assumed the cure required for these type of paints was only needed prior to exposing them to more intense heat - I might be wrong though. Is the finish not as you expected? Maybe try a scrap test construction, with your materials, to see how it fares. Most importantly, don't let your wife catch you with a speaker in her oven.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied
    Re: Finishing Q's: Re: High-Heat Automotive Paints....

I know that MDF can be "baked" for powdercoating, so that should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    started a topic Finishing Q's: Re: High-Heat Automotive Paints....

Finishing Q's: Re: High-Heat Automotive Paints....

I just finished laying out some paint on a project with VHT High-Heat Burnt Copper, and went to look at the label (I know- shoulda read it FIRST!), and it said for best results to bake at 200* for 1 hour.

I would obviously remove the xover, all wiring, drivers, and stuffing before attempting this.

Now I'm contemplating doing it to get the full cure and hardness of the paint for durability's sake. I've just been looking up items on-line to see if they can tolerate the heat:

Adhesives:
    Elmer's Glue-All
    Gorilla Glue

Media:
    MDF
    1/2" thick cardboard tubing
    1/4" Hardboard
    Particle Board/Formica
    Biscuits
    Screws
    Clay kitty litter

Paints currently on the cab:
    Krylon variety enamels testing for color, small spots
    Krylon Flat Chalkboard Black
    Krylon Matte finish
    VHT High-Heat Burnt Copper

Now- I remember Aaron Hero used to 'bake' his boxes via a 1000W fluorescent bulb and a couple fans piping the heat through the inside of the enclosure to prevent seams and cure the glues, etc. (Not OSHA approved, but it worked under watchful eye!)

Do I have anything I need to be concerned about in the cabs as they are currently containing the above items if I were to bake the cabs?
    Thanks for any insight any of you can offer,
    Wolf
Working...
X