8 ohm woofer and 4 ohm tweeter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 ohm woofer and 4 ohm tweeter?

can i run a 4 ohm tweeter with a 8 ohm woofer?

thanks for any help

Re: 8 ohm woofer and 4 ohm tweeter?

Originally posted by ikymagoo View Post
    can i run a 4 ohm tweeter with a 8 ohm woofer?

thanks for any help
    yes
    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Yes. But you should read up on speaker design before you buy anything. Check out the speaker building bible at the top of the page.

Comment

thanks,
        unfortunately i bought the drivers already, GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" and Dayton Audio ND25FA-4 1", i didn't realize the tweeter was 4 ohm, i was just going to use Speaker Crossover High-Pass 8 Ohm 3,000 Hz 100W, will this work?

Comment

i was just going to use Speaker Crossover High-Pass 8 Ohm 3,000 Hz 100W, will this work?
          No, it will only work with 8 ohm drivers.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

so, i could use this Goldwood GT-520 1" instead?

or could i use the 4 ohm tweeter and make my own, high pass filter?

any ideas?

Comment

so, i could use this Goldwood GT-520 1" instead?

or could i use the 4 ohm tweeter and make my own, high pass filter?

any ideas?
              Actually this would be the better way to go anyway.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I just remembered something that was really funny. I was on another forum a year or so ago when someone asked a similar question. One responder said you can't mix driver impedances because the drivers' sensitivities won't be appropriate. When I told him, of course you can because the crossover design takes care of that, he responded by saying he's been designing speakers for years and publishing about them, alluding to be some sort of recognized expert, and you just can't do that! I asked him where has he been for the last 30 years? I think he was in Europe somewhere.
                Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                  ...for the last 30 years? ...
                  Well I know someone who got around having to attenuate the more sensitive 4 ohm tweeter by using a pair of 8 ohm woofer in parallel - and that was 40 years ago ;)
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Well, the GRS is rated 91 db and the tweeter is rated 90 dB but after you account for BSC, the GRS may be down to 85-87 dB after 1000 Hz or so. So, the tweeter will still have to be padded down a little but I doubt by an additional 4 ohms. Probably half that.

Comment

My comment about "30 years" was just to question the guy's veracity about him being an "expert" since his position was so incredulously stupid and wrong.
                      Paul

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                      Well I know someone who got around having to attenuate the more sensitive 4 ohm tweeter by using a pair of 8 ohm woofer in parallel - and that was 40 years ago ;)

Comment

https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...iverimpedances
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          ...since his position was so incredulously stupid and wrong.
                          Lest it be misinterpreted, My comment was to affirm this. His illogical argument was so old it has a Latin name :p
                          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

No problem; I realized your comment was an affirmation. I should have asked the guy if he was living in a parallel, but backwards alternate universe. :eek:
                            Paul

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                            Lest it be misinterpreted, My comment was to affirm this. His illogical argument was so old it has a Latin name :p

Comment

Working...
                            X