Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for car audio door speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for car audio door speakers?

I'm in the beginning stages of building some custom door panels for my old Honda Prelude Si 4WS. I'm about to pick up an extra set of panels to modify, so that I can leave the stock ones on the car while I take my time with this project.

I'm considering doing a 3-way set up: tweeter, ~3 1/2 midrange, and a 6 1/2 mid-bass.

But some of the 3-way component systems available are WAY over priced. I'm pretty sure that a comparable system can be assembled for much less money. I was looking at some of the Dayton offerings that might work, but I'm not really sure how to choose the exact right drivers, or set up the crossover for them... other than a basic electronic crossover.

I plan to either bi-amp or even tri-amp the doors.

Currently I've got an ancient Alpine 4 channel amp that runs about 80 watts RMS per channel that I'll probably incorporate in the set up. Also have an old Rockford amp that I can use too.

The current setup in the car includes for Rockford 8" subs in a sealed enclosure = very tight bass.

What drivers and crossover set up would you suggest?

Re: Suggestions for car audio door speakers?

The Dayton drivers I was looking at:

- RS100P-4
    - DC160-4

Not really sure about a tweeter choice.

Comment

Do you have a budget and goals in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
        Do you have a budget and goals in mind?
        Budget for speakers themselves - maybe $250 total? Give or take.

Goal - Superior sound quality, very fast "punch". Crisp. Clear.

I'm listening to mostly classic rock (Hendrix, Steely Dan) but also a lot of classic jazz (Herbie Hancock), and contemporary jazz/funk.

The final product does not need to be crazy loud, but I do want a lot of headroom, so I'm not against adding more power. My car is already wired for all of this - I've got a high output alternator and 0 gauge power wire, and 0 gauge grounds all around.

Comment

I would stick to a known brand car speakers: Audison, Hertz, Pioneer, JBL, RF, Infinity, Polk. Just to name some. A car is a very difficult space to work with, I don't think expensive speakers pay off in this case. Preferably component, but coax would work too. Are you powering them with a HU? You could try to EQ some bumps and dips out of the response by ear. Or, as you said, bi-amp and get a DSP to play with.

Comment

Assuming it will fit, you may want to look at : SEAS Prestige CA18RNX (H1215) 7" Coated Paper Cone Woofer
            Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Will all the drivers be mounted on the door? Any thought of mid and tweet in the a pillar?

Comment

The biggest issue I've had in finding suitable "home" speakers for a car is the mounting depth. You should probably see how much room you have and work from there.

Comment

Will all the drivers be mounted on the door? Any thought of mid and tweet in the a pillar?
                  The thought is, yeah, all the drivers mounted in the door.

Certainly no room for a mid in the A pillar. If I put the tweeter there, it would have to protrude as there's not enough depth behind the A pillar panel to counter sink it. The other complicating factor with an A pillar tweet is that the instrument gauge cluster would block much of the tweet unless I mounted it really high. On top of that, I don't think it would look good in this car.

I should have plenty of depth for most of what I want to do. I just can't get crazy with the depth of a 6 1/2. It's a factory 6 1/2 location, but not for a huge basket or magnet. There will actually be more depth available for the midrange than for the 6 1/2. I'll have to post a picture later.

And I checked out that SEAS driver, but it's 8 ohms. I think I need to stick with 4 ohm drivers.

Comment

You might also consider the 6.5" silver flute woofers as well. There are also a few 5.25" SB acoustics drivers to look for as well.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

If you are looking for punch, i would start looking at a beefy midbass. Are you limited to a 6 1/2" midbass or can you do a 7", or possibly 8". To me, that is where your "punch" will come from. A driver like the anarchy is a great example.

Comment

If you are looking for punch, i would start looking at a beefy midbass. Are you limited to a 6 1/2" midbass or can you do a 7", or possibly 8". To me, that is where your "punch" will come from. A driver like the anarchy is a great example.
                        Although I am building custom door panels, I'm not willing to cut the metal in the door itself. So I'll have to still with the factory 6 1/2" location. There is enough depth to the panel itself to mount an average sized 3.5" or 4" midrange, without cutting the door.

And as mentioned before, I'm running four 8" woofers in the trunk, so that helps out a ton with the punch and midbass... as opposed to larger subwoofers.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGoodTexan View Post
                          Although I am building custom door panels, I'm not willing to cut the metal in the door itself. So I'll have to still with the factory 6 1/2" location. There is enough depth to the panel itself to mount an average sized 3.5" or 4" midrange, without cutting the door.

And as mentioned before, I'm running four 8" woofers in the trunk, so that helps out a ton with the punch and midbass... as opposed to larger subwoofers.
                          You might want to head over to diymobileaudio, they have a lot of experience with this. From what I've read there , a 3 way passive is a big project!

On to your questions, you really have to find out how much space you have in front and behind to be able to look at choices. Also, I gathered that you want to mount the midrange to the door panel. That doesn't sound like a great idea, I've tried it and found it's not a stable place to mount and is prone to vibrations and resonance.

I'd suggest a 2 way with the silver flute and a great tweeter. If you decide to go 3 way, the Exodus anarchy would be a better choice. Fwiw, I have two rigs that I haven't installed : anarchy/vifa xt, and sls8/fr89.

PS
                          you don't need to limit yourself to 4 ohm drivers, check out "the real deal with 8 ohm"

Comment

Suggestions for car audio door speakers?

I wouldnt use your subs for midbass duty, they will be easy to locate that way. I would cross no higher than 100hz to your subs to help with that. And i second te motion to check out "the real deal with 8 ohm drivers" at diyma. Its a great read. I have used 8ohm drivers in my car and have been very pleased

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...m-drivers.html
                            Last edited by ameuba10; 06-18-2014, 05:00 PM. Reason: forgot url

Comment

For your budget and goals I think the anarchy found at diysoundgroup for $126/pair, the vifa tc9fd at $24/pair, and nd20 at $30/pair totaling $180. Well under budget. And again there are infinite combinations of drivers to choose from.

Comment

Working...
                              X