Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polk SDA reproduction?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Polk SDA reproduction?

    My SDA 2B TL's image very well. I think proper placement and proper amplification are critical for almost any speaker. I seemingly have great synergy with my gear, cables and room. My imaging and soundstage is/are better than 95% of any system I have listened to.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Polk SDA reproduction?

      Yea headphones do also cancel the interaural crosstalk, the intention of SDA, in what I think is a too abrupt, forced manner.
      The crossovers are easily upgraded which gives the speakers much better clarity.
      http://www.gimpod.com/
      Newer, better replacement tweeter are also available.
      This further enhances the sound stage and smoothness of the hi frequencies.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Polk SDA reproduction?

        Originally posted by craigk View Post
        the biggest problem with the SDA speakers was the issue with finding an amp that could handle the load. the speakers ate amps. even with high powered amps I never did think they sounded very good. there was always something just not right. polk pushed them really hard for about 7 years, but I do not think they really sold that many of them.
        SDAs were sold during the 9 year period 1982-1991. Polk continues to offer parts and technical support 23 years after the SDA series was discontinued. I don't think they would do that unless there was a substantial customer base.

        You are correct about the issues with proper amplification. SDAs were marketed as being an easy amplifier load and that low power receivers were adequate to drive them, but they sounded their best with high power, high current amplifiers.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Polk SDA reproduction?

          Isn't this essentially just Dynaquad built into a pair of speakrs?

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Polk SDA reproduction?

            Originally posted by clydethecat View Post
            Isn't this essentially just Dynaquad built into a pair of speakrs?
            not really, dynaquad was just a funky way to hook up your speakers. SDA sends signals from left and right to both speakers to eliminate crosstalk.
            craigk

            " Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Polk SDA reproduction?

              Originally posted by craigk View Post
              not really, dynaquad was just a funky way to hook up your speakers. SDA sends signals from left and right to both speakers to eliminate crosstalk.
              ...both using essentially the same method of obtaining the L-R and R-L signals...

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Polk SDA reproduction?

                Originally posted by clydethecat View Post
                ...both using essentially the same method of obtaining the L-R and R-L signals...
                Not really, Polk's method is passive in the crossover of SDA models, actively in SRTs.
                "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

                http://www.diy-ny.com/

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Polk SDA reproduction?

                  Originally posted by craigk View Post
                  not really, dynaquad was just a funky way to hook up your speakers. SDA sends signals from left and right to both speakers to eliminate crosstalk.
                  ...both using essentially the same method of obtaining the L-R and R-L signals...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by clydethecat View Post
                    Re: Polk SDA reproduction?



                    ...both using essentially the same method of obtaining the L-R and R-L signals...
                    I fount it a "novel" idea, but one that solved a problem, uh that was not a problem to begin with.

                    Everything hinges on what the Polk white paper says...."For example, suppose we go to a concert and put a microphone at each of our ears to record exactly what we are hearing."



                    But it fails to acknowledge that MOST recordings are NOT made in that manner, hence what is it really doing to the image, other than exaggerating it for 95% of rock and pop recordings.
                    If recordings were made in the manner the white paper describes, it would have a great purpose for existing. But as is I see it as a novel enhancement, not a fix.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by kevintomb View Post

                      I fount it a "novel" idea, but one that solved a problem, uh that was not a problem to begin with.

                      Everything hinges on what the Polk white paper says...."For example, suppose we go to a concert and put a microphone at each of our ears to record exactly what we are hearing."



                      But it fails to acknowledge that MOST recordings are NOT made in that manner, hence what is it really doing to the image, other than exaggerating it for 95% of rock and pop recordings.
                      If recordings were made in the manner the white paper describes, it would have a great purpose for existing. But as is I see it as a novel enhancement, not a fix.
                      A friend was a Polk dealer in the '70s and '80s, I've heard all of the 1st-generation SDA speakers, and I'd describe the effect as "swimmy". Kind of like the Carver "Acoustic Holography" effect.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by clydethecat View Post

                        A friend was a Polk dealer in the '70s and '80s, I've heard all of the 1st-generation SDA speakers, and I'd describe the effect as "swimmy". Kind of like the Carver "Acoustic Holography" effect.
                        Certain recordings "Benefit" from it, and I have heard it many times where it sounded simply like a "Swimmy" wider effect that artificially widened the sound stage.

                        Many admire that sound, but on most stuff, when the SDA cable is removed, to create normal stereo sound without the out of phase dimensional speakers, it sounds much more natural.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by kevintomb View Post

                          Certain recordings "Benefit" from it, and I have heard it many times where it sounded simply like a "Swimmy" wider effect that artificially widened the sound stage.

                          Many admire that sound, but on most stuff, when the SDA cable is removed, to create normal stereo sound without the out of phase dimensional speakers, it sounds much more natural.
                          Agreed. See my post from 5 years ago

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X