Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packed pretty tight, but Last Hurrahs sounding very fine now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packed pretty tight, but Last Hurrahs sounding very fine now.

So much better after having replaced the LD25X tweeter with the SB26STCN. Measures pretty much like it models. All air core, except the 8.2mh on the woofers. The XO point to the tweeter ended up higher than what I expected, but that is where it wanted to be. Had some Clarity SA in the house for the tweeter. Erse or Jantzen, paralleling where needed, to get the big values.

Woofer is 8.2mh18ga steel core, 100uf shunt, 2mh 18ga - two Usher 8955A
    Mid high pass is 6/6/6 parallel Mills for 2 ohm pad, 82/39uf for 121uf, 3.3mh 18ga air core shunt
    Mid low pass is 2.25mg 18ga air core, 9.1uf shunt. - Seas U18
    Tweeter is 2.5ohm pad, 6.2/2.2 for 8.4uf Clarity SA, .15mh 20ga shunt, 8.2uf Clarity SA, 2ohm/.07mh in series to bring down the very top. SB25STCN

Oh yes, you know the RS225-8 models similarly, I suppose one could build with that pretty easily.

Last edited by maynardg; 06-27-2014, 02:27 PM.

Re: Packed pretty tight, but Last Hurrahs sounding very fine now.

good for you sir. nice work.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

They look great Maynard and I'll bet they sound as good as they look.

Jim

Comment

Looks great. I knew you'd like the SB tweeters. Question: what's the tube amp with awesome transformers but no tubes?
        Craig

Comment

It is an all pentode single-ended amp. It has 6SJ7 and KT88 in ultralinear singleended. Pretty nice sounding with the right speaks, which I don't have just now. Maybe 8-10W output. Tubes are boxed to avoid accidents.

Comment

"The XO point to the tweeter ended up higher than what I expected, but that is where it wanted to be."

There's something to be said about your approach Maynard. You know I've always admired the way you voice your designs, never forcing the issue and letting the drivers work the way they're intended. We all should incorporate that philosophy in our projects.

Congratulations!

Comment

Just because you can do a thing, does not mean you should.

You know, I kept trying to take it down to the 2200 range and I could get models that looked good, measured flat with good phase - but did not sound right. So I went back to the Malbec XO and darned if that wasn't clear up at about 2800 as well with the U18 to the Hiquphon. I think it is where the U18 wants to roll easily.

Conventional wisdom, I think, would say to cross a bit lower to a 6.5", but, I am not knowledgeable enough to speculate why this is not the way to go here.

I was very happy to have all the XO parts in the parts box(s) - of which there are now nine well organized ones.

Guess I need to use them up.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                So I went back to the Malbec XO and darned if that wasn't clear up at about 2800 as well with the U18 to the Hiquphon.
                It is entirely possible that it isn't what you hear or what is actually going on here, but have always suspected a crossover at 3 khz puts a power response dip at 2 to 4khz, where our ear is most sensitive and that just sounds good.
                Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Maynard, the cabinets are gorgeous and I bet they sound super, but why did you use such small-gauge wire between crossover and drivers? :p
                  Paul

Comment

Very nice work. Those are some impressive reverse nulls in your simulation.

Comment

I typically use outboard XO's. The connection with the speakers are using 8X13ga cable and Speak-ons. Internal wire is typically a good quality 16ga.

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                      Maynard, the cabinets are gorgeous and I bet they sound super, but why did you use such small-gauge wire between crossover and drivers? :p
                      Paul

Comment

I think I can actually read on the cable jacket that it's 16AWG, but the jackets are really thick and make the wire gauge look much larger than that.
                        Paul

I typically use outboard XO's. The connection with the speakers are using 8X13ga cable and Speak-ons. Internal wire is typically a good quality 16ga.

Comment

Paul, I also have other quirks, like I always use white for woofers, black for mids, and grey for tweeters. Just helps me stay organized!

Comment

Hey, nothing at all wrong about being organized. I make detailed drawings with pencil and paper before ever starting, then as I go through the build process, after cleaning up my mess at the end of each work day in the shop, I make a series of notes about what I think I can accomplish the next day and in what order.
                            Paul

Paul, I also have other quirks, like I always use white for woofers, black for mids, and grey for tweeters. Just helps me stay organized!

Comment

I tend to sketch out the box on one of the quarter sheets of MDF, and then the challenge is not to cut that one up! Planning for the next day? Rarely.

Comment

Working...
                              X