Back to my roots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to my roots...

I have slowly been acquiring parts to do a 8" 3-way, cosmetically similar to these (and a million other such 8" bookshelfs):

I will be mirror imaging the baffles, however.

Drivers are...

GRS 8" poly

GRS 5" sealed back mid

GRS 1" mylar tweeter

I am going to build a cabinet with the same dimensions as the 0.56 cubic foot flat pack currently on sale at PE.

I have really been missing playing in the budget sandbox lately, and if they do not find a permanent home before October they will make an appearance in Grinnell.

That is all I know so far, and construction is still a few weeks out. Will update soon!
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: Back to my roots...

Sub'd - nice budget friendly build JR!
    See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Nice! Bring back those vintage designs.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

That 5" isn't really a bad driver at all. Sounds like a fun project.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Yeah, I have used that midrange twice and was surprised both times. I really couldn't find fault with it, actually. No Revelator of course, but between 600-700 and 4K it is nice.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Looks good!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Awesome JR! Love your project man.

Comment

This is juicy, subscribed.
                Last edited by kenny_k; 07-06-2014, 04:07 PM. Reason: oops
                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Sweet!!! Looks like a fun build.

Comment

Despite being a budget design it looks like it should whoop up on a LOT of store offerings. Thanks for getting back into the budget stuff us poor folk missed you.

Comment

in it for bacon
                      "As you start traveling down that road of life, remember this: There are never enough comfort stops. The places youíre going to are never on the map. And once you get that map out, you wonít be able to refold it no matter how smart you are." -kermit the frog

a good place to check out http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/

Comment

"Despite being a budget design it looks like it should whoop up on a LOT of store offerings. Thanks for getting back into the budget stuff us poor folk missed you. "

+1

Comment

Nice, i had a pair of Yamaha speakers with a very similar layout, 8" three way. looking forward to how this turns out. subbed.

Comment

I am always interested in what can be done in budget builds. Please keep us updated sir!
                            Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                            Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Welcome back to your "Calling" Johnny.

Nowadays, my ears not being what they once were, I get more pleasure out of these kind of builds than the very costly ones. I prefer using budget and close-out drivers to get a respectable result rather than using very expensive drivers and components to get a great result.

These are the type of builds that make great gifts and are easy to do for family and friends who don't want to spend too much money, as well as entice newbies to jump aboard.
                              Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Working...
                              X