Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finalists Build

Hey All,

I decided to build Jim and Curt's Finalists for my first project. I have a couple questions. How high should I put the speakers above the floor? I was thinking around 20". I noticed that a few people on the forums, and the original design, use stands to elevate the Finalists. I was also considering extending the cabinet so that it looks like a floorstanding speaker. What are your opinions on the visual appeal of either of those options? Are there any other options?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks :]

-far

Re: Finalists Build

I prefer a floor stander style--a cabinet that large atop a stand seems a bit scary to me with the children that visit occasionally.

Comment

The tweeter should be about ear height of your listening position.

Comment

My Finalists are on stands about 20.5" high with the tweeter height coming out to about 42" - which is ear level for me sitting on my couch.

I would probably prefer the look of the speakers as floor standing towers but it didn't occur to me at the time of the build. That said, stands can have their benefits. There is a fair bit of open space in my stands and I stack Xbox games in them. If I planned ahead I could have made the stands even more useful with drawers or shelves or something. I may replace my current stands with small subs in the future - but you could just as easily build a small sub into the base area of the floor-stander versions.

If you check out my build thread link, note that I overcomplicated the process by imposing the restriction that I built a completely sealed box first so I could veneer before cutting the driver holes. I had my reasons for this approach, but looking back I think it added much more complexity than it was worth.

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to your build thread!

Comment

Jim Holtz said the Finalists' design was optimized for the center of the tweeter to be around 39-40" above the floor FWIW.
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
            My Finalists are on stands about 20.5" high with the tweeter height coming out to about 42" - which is ear level for me sitting on my couch.
            Thanks for the feedback, I will redo my measurements with that in mind.
            Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to your build thread!
            I look forward to sharing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
              Jim Holtz said the Finalists' design was optimized for the center of the tweeter to be around 39-40" above the floor FWIW.
              Paul
              Paul K, are you the same Paul from a couple threads on htguide? My friend pointed me to this thread earlier today. There is some really good information in there and the other thread you linked. Thanks. :D

Comment

Man, he might beat me to finishing these MLTL's! I see on the other forum he asked for a potential xover layout i managed to fit it all on one board and it fits through the woofer hole no problem!

If someone could link this to him i dont have an acct there! Link is my finalists thread the first 3 pics are the xover.
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...59#post1979259
                My Build Thread's
                Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Yep, that's me and, in fact, there are 3 threads on that forum related to the Finalists in which I participated.
                  Paul

Originally posted by farover View Post
                  Paul K, are you the same Paul from a couple threads on htguide? My friend pointed me to this thread earlier today. There is some really good information in there and the other thread you linked. Thanks. :D

Comment

Nice, I will try to find the other one this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by farover View Post
                      Hey All,

I decided to build Jim and Curt's Finalists for my first project. I have a couple questions. How high should I put the speakers above the floor? I was thinking around 20". I noticed that a few people on the forums, and the original design, use stands to elevate the Finalists. I was also considering extending the cabinet so that it looks like a floorstanding speaker. What are your opinions on the visual appeal of either of those options? Are there any other options?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks :]

-far
                      http://speakerdesignworks.com/Finalists_3.html ). Anyone know the manufacturer / model number?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMVA View Post
                        There are some very nice Finalist speaker stands shown in the photo on Curt’s website (see: http://speakerdesignworks.com/Finalists_3.html ). Anyone know the manufacturer / model number?
                        Those are mine and I don't remember where I bought them. I've had them for 10-15 years or more. Sorry! If I had to guess, I'd say they were Paradigm or Parasound which were both carried by a local audio shop.

Jim

Comment

Im stilling working on the TL floor standing version if all goes as planned i will be listening to them in about a week! Im hoping i can make some progress this weekend.
                          My Build Thread's
                          Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

I'll be looking for the pics, Mike!

Comment

Working...
                            X