Summer Vacation III: Next phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summer Vacation III: Next phase

Your working pretty quickly! The build looks great in primer! I fear starting these threads before I'm finishing up or already complete with the build process. Im not sure why though i just do! Keep up the good work.

I need to find a good painter in my area that has a shop. I want to try some painted builds as well. Or a combo off paint and veneers.
    My Build Thread's
    Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Big, loud and flaming Orange!!!

that's a whole new level of awesomeness....!

Comment

They're looking good.

I know you wanted to get them done for MWAF, but you did the right thing taking the extra time to finish them 100%. Those are too big to re-paint half a year down the line because of seams starting to show. They're going to look fantastic when finished.

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
          They're looking good.

I know you wanted to get them done for MWAF, but you did the right thing taking the extra time to finish them 100%. Those are too big to re-paint half a year down the line because of seams starting to show. They're going to look fantastic when finished.

TomZ
          Tom, these were never meant to be done for MWAF 2014. If they are received well in Iowa I will bring them to MWAF 2015.
          I hope to have the crossovers finalized by the end of July or so, so I can take them to the Painter and get them back by the end of September to re-assemble and have them in Grinell the middle of October.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
            Big, loud and flaming Orange!!!

that's a whole new level of awesomeness....!

Yeppers!
            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

Comment

Originally posted by arlis_1957@yahoo.com View Post
              Tom, these were never meant to be done for MWAF 2014. If they are received well in Iowa I will bring them to MWAF 2015.
              I hope to have the crossovers finalized by the end of July or so, so I can take them to the Painter and get them back by the end of September to re-assemble and have them in Grinell the middle of October.
              Will be looking out for these in Iowa!

Comment

Oh, okay, I misunderstood.
                Can't wait to see them in the flesh.

TomZ
                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

That's a lot of filter peaking on the mid, which is the cause of the low impedance there. It's possible the mid isn't loud enough for this or your simulated woofer level may be set too high. Just guessing, but it looks like you have next to no baffle step here, which may be intentional. You are losing some woofer spl with what looks like at least 1.5 ohms DCR. why? Also, I see you are fighting diffraction ripple on the tweeter. I'd recommend not compensating quite so much, in light of off-axis considerations, and just crossing the tweeter lower. If you have to stick with the mid, you can try shallower slopes on the low side. I've worked with the DA175 a lot, and I wouldn't consider it a mid, more of a nice low-output subwoofer that plays ok to 2k.

And for something nice to say- Damn, that's a great-looking speaker!
                  "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

I think alot was measuring conditions. I will take them to the living room this weekend and do it again. I will also try to lower the tweeter crossover.
                    Filter peaking?

Comment

If you look at the transfer function, centered between 500 and 600Hz there is a peak. This is usually from creating a passive "boost" to fill in a blank spot, and warrants a look at moving the crossover frequency around to see if you can smooth things out.

Lowell, this is a beautiful speaker and I am very much looking forward to Iowa!
                      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Oh stop! You have never turned out a bad product. You have been part of my motivation for a long time now and you know it.

Thanks.
                        I'm not sure what to say, but thank you. What a nice thing to say!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                          If you look at the transfer function, centered between 500 and 600Hz there is a peak. This is usually from creating a passive "boost" to fill in a blank spot, and warrants a look at moving the crossover frequency around to see if you can smooth things out.

Lowell, this is a beautiful speaker and I am very much looking forward to Iowa!
                          JR, someday you and I should talk about filter transfer function because my understanding is weak. Maybe I'll send you a copy of my latest and you'd be willing to critique it?

Comment

I'll take better measurements on Saturday and try again.
                            If my understanding is correct, with actual measurements, Baffle loss is included. True?

Comment

I'll take better measurements on Saturday and try again.
                              If my understanding is correct, with actual measurements, Baffle loss is included. True?
                              Yes, baffle loss is included in your measurement as long as your mic distance is two times the baffle width or greater. Near field measurements do not accurately show the effects of the baffle step loss or diffraction.
                              Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X