Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now that I'm done with my wedding.... new projects I have free time to work on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that I'm done with my wedding.... new projects I have free time to work on!

Just wanted to share two new projects that I should be getting done over the next couple of months.

The first is being completed with the help of forum member TN_Allen, who is making the waveguides/baffles. It uses the Vifa OC25 flangless tweeter and a buyout Peerless HDS 5 1/2" woofer I got from rpb. This speaker is for a friend, who will be using them in his living room to replace a pair of cheap Polk speakers he has now.

TN_Allen sent me two baffles to test. The first had a slight ovalling of the throat around the tweeter when it routed on the CNC. The second was a tighter fit. I can't get the actual pictures of the waveguide throat to upload right now (I think they're too big), but trust me, the amount of ovaling was not much. However, you can see from the frequency response graphs below that there is quite a bit of difference in response.

Waveguide with ovaling:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Baffle_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	1189482

Waveguide with no ovaling:

Name:	Baffle_2.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1189483

Comparison:

Name:	Baffle_3.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1189484

I don't have any of the modeled responses for the crossover on this computer, but the two drivers meshed very well together. The HDS woofer has a smooth, extended response and I was able to come up with a preliminary crossover that looks really good (on paper at least) using only 3 or 4 components (can't remember if the tweeter has an inductor or not off the top of my head). It makes for second order acoustic slopes in the pass band with the tweeter rolling off a little faster lower in frequency. Crossover point was around 2-2.5khz.

I'll post more info on this when I get time to log on at home and pull up the simulations.

We finished the boxes (PE .25 cu ft knock-downs), with the exception of the baffle. Here is what they look like so far:

Name:	photo.JPG
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	1189485
    Last edited by Navy Guy; 07-16-2014, 09:56 AM.
    -Kerry

Re: Now that I'm done with my wedding.... new projects I have free time to work on!

These are the others that I'm working on:

Name:	bedroom.JPG
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	1159126

They will replace a pair of Overnight Sensations in my bedroom. I contracted Joeybutts to build the cabinets. He's done an awesome job. Way better than I could do on those facets. The cabinet has the same footprint as the Overnight Sensation but will be 14" tall. It is a small 3-way design (yes, there seems to be a lot of these here lately) that should be pretty cheap to build. It uses the ND105-4 as the woofer (bought on sale at $18/each) the Vifa TC9 (wich I got off a rpb for $5 each) and the Vifa XT25SC90 (which I got off another forum member for $10/each). Obviously it will be a little more at retail prices, but as of now, it should be around $115 in drivers for new parts.

No measurements yet. I should be picking up the cabinets in about 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Navy Guy; 07-16-2014, 10:02 AM.
    -Kerry

Comment

Re: Now that I'm done with my wedding.... new projects I have free time to work on!

You a funny man.You JUST got married and think you will have time for other projects?!?!

Both projects look very nice BTW. looking forward to updates.
      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Wait to you see the projects your wife will cook up for you.... I get a list taped to the fridge every week.

Comment

More important, why would a newlywed want to spend any of his spare time building speakers instead of doing you know what with his wife?;)
          Paul

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
          You a funny man.You JUST got married and think you will have time for other projects?!?!

Both projects look very nice BTW. looking forward to updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
            More important, why would a newlywed want to spend any of his spare time building speakers instead of doing you know what with his wife?;)
            Paul
            +1000
            Why play with square corners when you can be knee deep in curves?

Comment

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
              Wait to you see the projects your wife will cook up for you.... I get a list taped to the fridge every week.
              My wife isn't really into speakers so I don't she doesn't leave me with a lot of lists for projects she wants completed :D Oh, wait, those aren't the projects you are talking about...
              -Kerry

Comment

Interested in that small 3 way you're building....
                Good selection of drivers.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                  Interested in that small 3 way you're building....
                  Good selection of drivers.
                  I've used the Vifa TC6 and the flangless Vifa OT19 together in another design and really liked them. Last time I used some RS series woofers, but I figured I didn't really need to go with the pricier RS drivers for the woofer since it wouldn't be covering much of the range and the ND series will go deeper in a smaller box. I'm hoping for good things.
                  -Kerry

Comment

Congrats Kerry on the nuptials.

I'm interested in the little 3-way too. I'm looking for something I can split into a very small 2-way and a small bassbin. I'm aware of several designs including your Brohaus. I would have thought a pair of 105's or 140's would have been better given the relative sensitivity of the ND drivers. Either way, the trio on that baffle looks outstanding. Way above it's low cost.
                    - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
                    www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

oops
                      Last edited by HareBrained; 07-17-2014, 12:32 AM. Reason: the dreaded double post
                      - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
                      www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

Originally posted by HareBrained View Post
                        Congrats Kerry on the nuptials.

I'm interested in the little 3-way too. I'm looking for something I can split into a very small 2-way and a small bassbin. I'm aware of several designs including your Brohaus. I would have thought a pair of 105's or 140's would have been better given the relative sensitivity of the ND drivers. Either way, the trio on that baffle looks outstanding. Way above it's low cost.
                        When I looked at sensitivity, these were the things that I factored into the decision to go with a single ND104-4:

1) I looked at doing a pair of ND105, but the volume requirements made it bigger than what I was wanting in the bedroom. To get the 40hz out of them like Chris Roemer did in the Nano Neos, you need about .3 cu ft per driver. A .6 cu ft enclosure is already fairly large for a bookshelf, and that is before you even factor in a chamber for the mid.
                        2) The impedance comes into play here, and I would have probably had to go with the 8 Ohm version to parallel the drivers and get a sensitivity boost. The 8 Ohm version just doesn't model as well as the 4 Ohm.
                        3) This was going to be used in my bedroom only, powered by my NAD C316bee. I will never really be cranking these and the amp should be plenty stout to drive them at the levels I will be listening
                        4) These will get some boundry reinforcement based on where I am using them so I hopefully won't have to use full BSC.
                        5) Lastly, the ND105 will take a lot of power before hitting any mechanical limits

I toyed with the idea of rear mounting the ND105 to get even more boundry reinforcement but ultimately decided against it.

This could easily be made into a multiple woofer design once I get measurements though. I'm thinking 4 ND105-4 per side in a series/parallel would make a nice floorstander.
                        Last edited by Navy Guy; 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM.
                        -Kerry

Comment

Working...
                        X