Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought I had OCD on audio....then this dude comes along....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought I had OCD on audio....then this dude comes along....

Dick Burwen's music system just shows that I am never going to get "there". I shall still plow forward, but would really, really like to hear this.

I am sure there are folks here that will argue there is something wrong with it. However, I would still like to hear it to see what, if anything, I am missing.

A picture of his "preamp"
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 3.41.08 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	1189522

Burwen's Sound System

Re: I thought I had OCD on audio....then this dude comes along....

[QUOTE=tc;2004321]Dick Burwen's music system just shows that I am never going to get "there". I shall still plow forward, but would really, really like to hear this.

I am sure there are folks here that will argue there is something wrong with it. However, I would still like to hear it to see what, if anything, I am missing.

A picture of his "preamp"
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 3.41.08 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	1189522

“Never ask people about your work.”
    ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

Holy cow! I guess that he doesn't subscribe to the "keep the signal path as short as possible" camp.
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Well,,,, one of the components is a cable box. I have one just like it. The other crap? As was said,,,,, too long of a signal path for me!

Comment

So that's the secret to great sound -- mirror b a l l s.
          "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
          –Robert Wilensky

Comment

I don't get why he has a seismograph and a lie detector in his system? Looks like a control panel from the China syndrome, or any crappy old sci-fi movie.

Comment

Originally posted by tmhutson View Post
              I don't get why he has a seismograph and a lie detector in his system? Looks like a control panel from the China syndrome, or any crappy old sci-fi movie.
              How else will you get truth in audio reproduction without a lie detector?!

Comment

I'm sure it sounds good, but ... even if I had the long green I don't want to be that obsessive about a hobby or anything else.
                1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                2: Computer > Schiit Übered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

I think it's safe to presume he's not using zip cord for speaker wire.

Ed Henderson

Comment

If he had better speakers, he wouldn't need all that, stuff.
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

My idea of "heaven" is the guy here who built a preamp in a cigar box with about 4 components.
                      Was that Lowell?
                      Keep It Simple, Stupid

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

How does he know when it's sounding "right"?

Comment

"this dude comes along ...."
                          Really?
                          Do you have any idea who Dick Burwin is? Take a look:
                          http://www.burwenaudio.com/Sound_System.html

http://www.burwenaudio.com/Biography.html

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
                            "this dude comes along ...."
                            Really?
                            Do you have any idea who Dick Burwin is? Take a look:
                            The morons posting ridicule of Burwin and his accomplishments are probably of the opinion that Enzo Ferrari didn't know anything about race cars......

So their greatest claim to fame will be posting on Tech Talk

Comment

I'd have to take out a 2nd mortgage to replace seventeen amps. This guy must be made of money.

It is a very interesting approach.

Next time my wife gives me grief about having to operate our system with iPeng (on the iPhone) controlling a Squeezebox ("why does it have to be so complicated?"), I'm going to show her a picture of this system.

Comment

Working...
                              X