Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought I had OCD on audio....then this dude comes along....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I thought I had OCD on audio....then this dude comes along....

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
    "this dude comes along ...."
    Really?
    Do you have any idea who Dick Burwin is? Take a look:
    http://www.burwenaudio.com/Sound_System.html

http://www.burwenaudio.com/Biography.html
    I was watching this thread with some sadness that people here would attack and insult a DIY system and not have the curiosity to investigate where this system came from and by whom it was made.

A sad state of affairs;

People have no perspective when they make a comment about the "preamp" which is an active crossover, equalizer and multi channel hand built device, in a time when there was no store bought options.

All I have to say...nice surround system!!!! another audio genius who gets it ...lol
    “Never ask people about your work.”
    ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

I was an owner of the DNF-1201 Dynamic noise filter,worked well for me for many years,He was a highly accomplished prolific engineer.
      NLA

Comment

Really?

You guys sure can be sensitive. This is what is considered poking fun. I don't think anyone is cutting the guy down.

Comment

Originally posted by tmhutson View Post
          I don't get why he has a seismograph
          How else do you measure bass response? Your sub must not be big enough.
          Copy of Lou C's speaker pages: http://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speakers.html

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
            You guys sure can be sensitive. This is what is considered poking fun. I don't think anyone is cutting the guy down.
            You mean comments like "other crap"? was poking fun?
            “Never ask people about your work.”
            ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

Originally posted by relder View Post
              How else do you measure bass response? Your sub must not be big enough.
              Pfffffft, whatevs. I gots a Sony xplode sub. It don't shake. It goes BOOOOOOOOOM, YO! Just like the dynamite.

I was initially so busy looking at all the fancy twisty knobs, that I didn't see the laptop in the photo. :D I just got my first P4. Can I be a techy nerd now, too?
              I kid. I couldn't even afford the floor mats for an enzo. :D

Comment

Originally posted by DE Focht View Post
                I was watching this thread with some sadness that people here would attack and insult a DIY system and not have the curiosity to investigate where this system came from and by whom it was made.

A sad state of affairs;

People have no perspective when they make a comment about the "preamp" which is an active crossover, equalizer and multi channel hand built device, in a time when there was no store bought options.

All I have to say...nice surround system!!!! another audio genius who gets it ...lol
                I don't think anyone here is personally attacking the guy. I guess it is a "sad state of affairs" when not everyone can name drop every audio engineer. But I'm glad this thread gave you an opportunity to feel better about yourself.
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by tc View Post
                  ... but would really, really like to hear this. ...
                  I remember when the 1976 article came out and I showed it to my friends ( musicians and music aficionados ) and the response was universal - We ALL wanted to hear it ( Still do )
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by DE Focht View Post
                    You mean comments like "other crap"? was poking fun?
                    No I took it as saying that is a lot of crap. It's a crude blue collar way of saying a lot of stuff. I have a lot of crap in my garage. Some of it is good crap and some is bad crap.

Comment

Really?

...dude......

I posted the link from his site. But thanks for the troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                        I don't think anyone here is personally attacking the guy. I guess it is a "sad state of affairs" when not everyone can name drop every audio engineer. But I'm glad this thread gave you an opportunity to feel better about yourself.
                        Well said sir. Well said.

I actually thought about the trolls coming out when I posted this. However, I weighed that against what I thought was cool, different than what I had seen before, and went ahead with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                          I remember when the 1976 article came out and I showed it to my friends ( musicians and music aficionados ) and the response was universal - We ALL wanted to hear it ( Still do )
                          I would sure like to hear what all those tweeters sound like. Can they possibly sum into a coherent single source and be free from comb filtering / "phasing" effects at the listening seat?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinN View Post
                            I would sure like to hear what all those tweeters sound like. Can they possibly sum into a coherent single source and be free from comb filtering / "phasing" effects at the listening seat?
                            I thought perhaps being mounted within the horn itself, with all those amps and the advanced signal processing at Burwen's disposal ( perhaps shading? ) that...
                            But the proof would be a taste of 'is pudding ;)
                            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

reading through this post makes me think it must be that time of the month for a lot of people. just because some one was an EE that designed noise circuits means you can not poke a little fun at the wall of electronics, that is ridiculous looking by any standards, even if it does sound great. if this post truly makes you sad, you have other issues you need to deal with. come on, lets have a reality check time out.
                              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

The thread title is just odd, with no reference to his accomplishments or bio.

The thread just seems odd to me, but who cares this is the internet.
                                Burwen is a legendary designer, not just an EE - you don't know what you are
                                talking about or you are trolling to inflame more people. You look ignorant to
                                me to be making such statements, but really I think you are trolling.
                                "EE that designed noise circuits " haha, nice bait for trolling.

Comment

Working...
                                X