Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

    These are currently still in progress and I normally wait until my builds are done to post them. I figured I would put it out now since I need a break from plugging away at things in general. Lots of work on my house recently as well as speaker builds. I have the minions I just built, im working on the Speedster TMM's, Finalist TL's and soon another floorstanding TL. Turns out I will have 3 TL's designed by Paul K, which I'm probably catching up to how many he actually has of his own!

    Also, shout out to Bryan Keane since he has been giving me suggestions and tips via texts.

    My dad came to give me a hand ripping this long 4x8 sheets. It was a PITA running those through and I have a decent size tablesaw. I also needed a good sliding miter sled for these finalist tl's since they are longer than my sliding chop saw's reach. I made this, it's kinda big but works well.






    I got all my cut lists prepared and just went to town. In a few hours we had 2 flatpacks (speedster tmm's and finalist TL's)






    Also, if you don't have one I would invest in these tornado dust collectors. I have the Oneida one. All of this would have been in my garage. Also, no filter on my shop vac and nothing is in the shop vac. Don't pinch the house though you will crush your bucket!






    Cut's all turned out great!








    This is where the sanding blade can hurt you. When ripping the long panels I had to keep stopping briefly to adjust my grip. It actually starts to burn the mdf if you rest at one spot. Thankfully it didn't cut in at all it just scorched the surface







    I use a foam brush to apply the glue and make sure it gets into the endgrain and spreads evenly.





    For squeeze out I let the glue start to dry then use a scrapper to peel it off easily. No wet towels to make the glue bleed over.






    Exterior complete






    Time to make the braces. Normally I prefer window braces but I literally had like 40-50 strips of 1" to 1.5" mdf sitting around from squaring up the panels. So I felt I should use them. It was a lot of extra work to do it this way and windows would have saved me time for sure. Hopefully this is more rigid and deadening. they are a max of 1.25" pieces by 3/4" and are rounded over on all sides. It's under the 5% volume margin of error. It's approximate equivalent to 2 window braces.










    Everything turned out pretty nicely the cuts were all good for doing everything at once. I did however mess up the baffle because I didn't account for the veneer and glue so they ended up a tad to small and I needed to cut new ones.





    I bought Acoust-x from acryltech to try out. It's pretty cool stuff and easy to use but do yourself a huge favor and apply it before the braces are installed. It turned out kinda sloppy because It was so difficult to get into the cabinet nooks. took 3 coats to get most of everything good enough.

    First coat with foam brush was really bad and messy my hand was a sticky mess and getting it out of your finger hairs was not the most pleasant experience. It does actually come off with water though. My last experience with stuff I couldn't get off my hand was "great stuff" and that stuff is absolutely brutal and needs to wear off your hands.

    1st coat (and I SHOULDN'T really say coats because for each coat I was just getting areas that were light or I had previously missed)



    2nd coat


    3rd coat




    Got the wires cut and twisted





    Bought a 4x8 sheet of Walnut for these. Talk about an akward piece to drag around and try to cut alone. It kept rolling itself up and not cooperating. Hopefully my xbox one was watching me.







    I saved some time doing 2 at once. I taped the sides all around to not get the contact cement on the new veneer or raw mdf. I put these back to back so that I couldn't "slip" with the roller and get it on the veneer. Trust me I came close a few times.






    Looking good!








    Remember those baffles I said I messed up? I used them to cut the veneer as a backing (razor knife). Then I repurposed them again to make a stand for the speaker and use the underside of the stand to mount the crossover. network.






    I got the tweeter networks done. I just need to make the woofer one however it has 3 coils very close together so I need to work on a better layout for it that wont interfere. I plan to connect the terminals to this base and then the tweeter network toward the front of the base and the woofers toward the rear of the base. The speaker wires will feed through the center (hot glue the holes before installing the baffles) and all the terminals will face the center of the base.




    Also, I've been spending so much time doing this somebody is really not happy with me. I came in today and this is the look I got....He is clearly not happy. Usually he is bouncing up and down when I come in.

    My Build Thread's
    Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

  • #2
    Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

    Reserved for updates
    My Build Thread's
    Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

      Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
      These are currently still in progress and I normally wait until my builds are done to post them. I figured I would put it out now since I need a break from plugging away at things in general. Lots of work on my house recently as well as speaker builds. I have the minions I just built, im working on the Speedster TMM's, Finalist TL's and soon another floorstanding TL. Turns out I will have 3 TL's designed by Paul K, which I'm probably catching up to how many he actually has of his own!

      Also, shout out to Bryan Keane since he has been giving me suggestions and tips via texts.

      My dad came to give me a hand ripping this long 4x8 sheets. It was a PITA running those through and I have a decent size tablesaw. I also needed a good sliding miter sled for these finalist tl's since they are longer than my sliding chop saw's reach. I made this, it's kinda big but works well.






      I got all my cut lists prepared and just went to town. In a few hours we had 2 flatpacks (speedster tmm's and finalist TL's)






      Also, if you don't have one I would invest in these tornado dust collectors. I have the Oneida one. All of this would have been in my garage. Also, no filter on my shop vac and nothing is in the shop vac. Don't pinch the house though you will crush your bucket!






      Cut's all turned out great!








      This is where the sanding blade can hurt you. When ripping the long panels I had to keep stopping briefly to adjust my grip. It actually starts to burn the mdf if you rest at one spot. Thankfully it didn't cut in at all it just scorched the surface







      I use a foam brush to apply the glue and make sure it gets into the endgrain and spreads evenly.





      For squeeze out I let the glue start to dry then use a scrapper to peel it off easily. No wet towels to make the glue bleed over.






      Exterior complete






      Time to make the braces. Normally I prefer window braces but I literally had like 40-50 strips of 1" to 1.5" mdf sitting around from squaring up the panels. So I felt I should use them. It was a lot of extra work to do it this way and windows would have saved me time for sure. Hopefully this is more rigid and deadening. they are a max of 1.25" pieces by 3/4" and are rounded over on all sides. It's under the 5% volume margin of error. It's approximate equivalent to 2 window braces.










      Everything turned out pretty nicely the cuts were all good for doing everything at once. I did however mess up the baffle because I didn't account for the veneer and glue so they ended up a tad to small and I needed to cut new ones.





      I bought Acoust-x from acryltech to try out. It's pretty cool stuff and easy to use but do yourself a huge favor and apply it before the braces are installed. It turned out kinda sloppy because It was so difficult to get into the cabinet nooks. took 3 coats to get most of everything good enough.

      First coat with foam brush was really bad and messy my hand was a sticky mess and getting it out of your finger hairs was not the most pleasant experience. It does actually come off with water though. My last experience with stuff I couldn't get off my hand was "great stuff" and that stuff is absolutely brutal and needs to wear off your hands.

      1st coat (and I SHOULDN'T really say coats because for each coat I was just getting areas that were light or I had previously missed)



      2nd coat


      3rd coat




      Got the wires cut and twisted





      Bought a 4x8 sheet of Walnut for these. Talk about an akward piece to drag around and try to cut alone. It kept rolling itself up and not cooperating. Hopefully my xbox one was watching me.







      I saved some time doing 2 at once. I taped the sides all around to not get the contact cement on the new veneer or raw mdf. I put these back to back so that I couldn't "slip" with the roller and get it on the veneer. Trust me I came close a few times.






      Looking good!








      Remember those baffles I said I messed up? I used them to cut the veneer as a backing (razor knife). Then I repurposed them again to make a stand for the speaker and use the underside of the stand to mount the crossover. network.






      I got the tweeter networks done. I just need to make the woofer one however it has 3 coils very close together so I need to work on a better layout for it that wont interfere. I plan to connect the terminals to this base and then the tweeter network toward the front of the base and the woofers toward the rear of the base. The speaker wires will feed through the center (hot glue the holes before installing the baffles) and all the terminals will face the center of the base.




      Also, I've been spending so much time doing this somebody is really not happy with me. I came in today and this is the look I got....He is clearly not happy. Usually he is bouncing up and down when I come in.

      Your buddy is waiting to hear "Who
      let the dogs out" on the speedsters,then he will cheer up!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

        How long does it normally take people get complete a build start to finish (completely finished with paint/veneer etc)?
        My Build Thread's
        Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

          That walnut veneer is gorgeous!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

            Looking great Mike. You need to get the boxer in the garage to help. I bet he sits around all day licking his....well, nevermind.

            Looking forward to hearing these soon.

            BTW: It takes me usually 4-weeks to finish a build....sometimes longer. You've been knocking these out really quickly, especially considering you're working solo. Great job man.
            Bryan K.

            Midwest Audio Club

            Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

              BTW - just placed an Amazon order for an Oneida dust deputy cyclone. After working on my son's car (body work) for the last week, I've managed to completely kill any "neatness" that existed in the garage prior to the project. Bondo dust everywhere.
              Bryan K.

              Midwest Audio Club

              Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

                Cool. Get a metal bucket or build a wooden box with removable top for the cyclone. My home depot bucket is totally crushed.
                My Build Thread's
                Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

                  Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                  Cool. Get a metal bucket or build a wooden box with removable top for the cyclone. My home depot bucket is totally crushed.
                  Well....your vacuum must really suck. :rolleyes:
                  Bryan K.

                  Midwest Audio Club

                  Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

                    I have a dust deputy and it works wonders. As for the question on time of completion of a project. My statement Monitors have been a work in progress for a long time...
                    My Statement monitors
                    My Piccolatas
                    My LM3886 amp

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

                      Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                      Cool. Get a metal bucket or build a wooden box with removable top for the cyclone. My home depot bucket is totally crushed.
                      I feel so dumb. I've been using a shop-made one (my father in law has an HVAC business), and it works great. But the 5-gallon plastic bucket underneath it bends and falls over all the time. It didn't occur to me to use some OTHER, more sturdy container to collect the dust.

                      I learned something new today :D
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

                      Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

                        Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                        Cool. Get a metal bucket or build a wooden box with removable top for the cyclone. My home depot bucket is totally crushed.
                        I feel so dumb. I've been using a shop-made one (my father in law has an HVAC business), and it works great. But the 5-gallon plastic bucket underneath it bends and falls over all the time. It didn't occur to me to use some OTHER, more sturdy container to collect the dust.

                        I learned something new today :D
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

                        Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

                          Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                          I feel so dumb. I've been using a shop-made one (my father in law has an HVAC business), and it works great. But the 5-gallon plastic bucket underneath it bends and falls over all the time. It didn't occur to me to use some OTHER, more sturdy container to collect the dust.

                          I learned something new today :D
                          haha, well I'm glad my suggestion will benefit you specifically; I've been a pilot fish to you for a few builds.
                          My Build Thread's
                          Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

                            Updates, The wires are run, the crossovers are assembled and I have sanded the couple coats of sealer to 1200 grit before the finish.

                            Still need to attach the baffle and duratex it, duratex the base and attach that, fill with stuffing, put on all the connectors and cut the port to size then apply poly! I bought 4 ports because there was two response curves in the info I got for the build with 4" and 5" so I figured I could test both and see how it goes.
                            My Build Thread's
                            Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Speedster TMM Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

                              Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                              Your buddy is waiting to hear "Who
                              let the dogs out" on the speedsters,then he will cheer up!
                              I feel sorry for anyone looking at this on their phone.
                              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

                              Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

                              http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X