Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

plugging a rear port for near wall use... any issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plugging a rear port for near wall use... any issues?

I have a pair of RS microbes using the RS-125 and RS tweeter in a small rear ported enclosure. Due to room constraints I need to place them close to a wall now... maybe 6in from the wall. Can I just plug the port to convert these to sealed designs and get a natural rolloff in bass extension? Will that fix the boomy muffled bass issues? I am using a sub so I'm not too concerned with losing much bass output, I just want to keep the excellent midrange clarity.

Also what do you suggest to use to plug the port. The port is 2" and the plugs must be removeable for future use.

Re: plugging a rear port for near wall use... any issues?

Nerf ball, sock, foam rubber. Try it and listen yourself.

Comment

Re: plugging a rear port for near wall use... any issues?

I've got a pair of Microbes. They do sound a bit muddy when they're really close to a wall. Never thought to try and stuff the ports but yea stuffing them probably won't hurt them and just about anything will work. I'm at work, but it shouldn't be hard to model the driver ported vs sealed in WinISD to see what the response difference would be. It's probably fine. If you've got DSP you could always high pass them at like 80hz anyways also.

Comment

Working...
      X