Best route for Subwoofer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffreynoel
    started a topic Best route for Subwoofer?

Best route for Subwoofer?

We just purchased our first home and it's time to build a new sub. Our living room is about 20x14x12 (LxWxH) and I need as small as a box as possible, so says the wife. I'm not looking for foundation shattering bass, just something to make me grin!

I'd like to keep the amp/sub combo under $300. Could you please offer some suggestions?

Would a Dayton RS 12" be a capable sub?

I appreciate the help!

• tf1216
    replied
    Re: 11' cube

This thread may be of some interest. There are links to some cheap passive radiators that may work well with your project.

<A HREF="http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...5935&highlight">http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...5935&highlight</A>=

Leave a comment:

• brianwalter
    replied
    Re: Best route for Subwoofer?

> Yes I have considered an IB. No way will my
    > wife let me cut a hole in the wall of our
    > new house. Grrr! : )

Don't ask, just do and then ask for forgivness.

Leave a comment:

• jeffreynoel
    replied

Max, I greatly appreciate your responses and your offer to listen to your sub, however I live near Kansas City, Kansas so it would be quite a drive! : )

Because of your statements though, I believe I will purchase a 12" HO sub and try it sealed. I can always build a new box to try it ported, also.

I did build a sub a few years ago that consisted of a 12" DVC, the 250W plate amp, a 15" Passive Radiator, and roughly a 3cu.ft. box. It was large but my goodness did it sound/feel awesome! Someday I will have a large sub again...someday!

Thanks again!
    -Jeff

Leave a comment:

• max
    replied

Sorry guys I meant to write "sweeper" instead of "seeper"....
    Jeff if you are lucky to leave in the Panhandle area...you are welcome to come and listen to it, I am leaving in Wichita Falls, TX
    Max

Leave a comment:

• max
    replied

Jeff,
    the sub is not a "seeper", so don't expect stuff coming off the walls but it is extremely controlled and it doesn't bottom and doesn't reach max excursion, so under heavy demands (polar express...train, nemo...Darla tapping the aquarium, XXX.....snow avalanche,...those are a couple of my tests) it just gives whatever it has, without any distorsion or bottomout...blablabla... and beleve me it's a nice sub... As far as music... absolutely unbelivable...soooooo clean
    the Titanic I had was the PE Kit with the 250W 6db boost version and I did not like it, you could hear a "bottomout type", People says it was the amp going out of juice... don't know... I only know that now I have a fantastic sub... For a few more bucks you might think to get the RS12" HO, however you need a bigger cube...
    BTW..don't think you can get smaller than 11' as mine...
    Hope that was helpfull and sorry for my bad English 'cause I am Italian
    see 'ya
    Max

Leave a comment:

• jeffreynoel
    replied

Thanks for the response Max!

How does your sub do for home theater? I won't be using it much for music, just for movies.

What made you choose the 10" over the 12"? Size?

Thanks!
    -Jeff

Leave a comment:

• max
    replied
    11' cube

Hi there,
    I built an 11" cube with a Dayton RS10"HO ($96 if bought by 25th may) sealed, very clean, deep and it actually shakes the floor.
    I have a rythmik audio 380W rms amp ($159)and it sure uses all of them...
    The 270Wrms ampli myght do the job as well and you save $50....
    ..BTW my room is a 15' x 28' x 9'
    I also think the titanic 10" is a good sub for the money $360 free shipping but the box is a 14"cube. I prefer the RS but my projectis 90% music, I think the Titanic is more HT oriented.
    Max

Leave a comment:

• jeffreynoel
    replied

Yes I have considered an IB. No way will my wife let me cut a hole in the wall of our new house. Grrr! : )

Leave a comment:

• davidyohn
    replied

> We just purchased our first home and it's
    > time to build a new sub. Our living room is
    > about 20x14x12 (LxWxH) and I need as small
    > as a box as possible, so says the wife. I'm
    > not looking for foundation shattering bass,
    > just something to make me grin!

> I'd like to keep the amp/sub combo under
    > $300. Could you please offer some
    > suggestions?

> Would a Dayton RS 12" be a capable sub?

> I appreciate the help!

Of course the smallest "box" possible is none at all. Have you considered IB in the ceiling or a wall?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X