MLTL Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLTL Question

I am looking at modifying a MLTL design and want to see if it is possible.

I would like to build the Docero MLTL design (http://meniscusaudio.com/images/Docero%20MLTL%20Box.pdf). This design has interior dimensions of 7" x 9.5" x 38", with an 8.5" exterior width. This design also has a cross-sectional area of 66.5 sq. in.

What I would like to modify is change the interior dimensions from 7" x 9.5" to 6" x 11.08". This would have the same cross-sectional area. I would not change the woofer locations, port length, interior height, stuffing details or port location. Would this change in interior dimensions change the tuning of the MLTL.

Just as an FYI, my reason for the change is I'm trying to get more of a Joseph Audio Pulsar (http://www.josephaudio.com/pulsar/) look, with the wood panels on the sides. By changing these interior dimensions, using 1/2" MDF on the sides, and then putting 3/4" wood panels on the sides, I can keep the 8.5" exterior width so it won't change the baffle step in the crossover.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated on this.
    Steve

Re: MLTL Question

The design of the Docero (aka Docere) MLTL was to maintain Jeff Bagby's bookshelf enclosure exterior width of 8.5" which allows his crossover design to be used without changes. With your suggested changes you maintain that width and maintain the design cross-sectional-area of the MLTL design so you should be good to go.

I too like the use of real wood side cheeks as you suggest. Makes for a very impressive enclosure design.

Comment

Jim,
      Thanks for the follow-up. I hoped that was the case but I lack experience with MLTLs and didn't know how critical dimensions within the TL are.
      Steve

Comment

+1 to what Jim said.
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
          +1 to what Jim said.
          Paul
          NOW, you can build it! Have Fun, Mark

Comment