Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with an Optimus LX5 II speaker augmentation

Re: Help with an Optimus LX5 II speaker augmentation

You are in over your head. An off the shelf crossover will not be a any better than the original. A crossover er must be optimized for the individual driver. If you could just use an off the shelf crossover and some random drivers we would all have high end speakers.
    Second a pro driver will have way more sensitivity than the stock and will be very harsh if not padded correctly.

Comment

Your best chance of improving what you have there is with this blast from the past.
      I THINK these are the same speakers.

http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=rslx.html

Comment

Thanks for the pointers, killa, particularly about the padding. I'll have to add that to my notes.

Yes, cmac, these are the same speakers used in his mod. I already have this one in my notes -- appreciate the validation.

Comment

You are bound to get lots of very different opinions, but the nice thing about this board is that people are very helpful and friendly. It's tough getting steered away from the idea you had in mind, but cmac and killa are spot on.

Throwing a horn at it and and some generic crossovers will leave you likely disappointed and out the cash. Save that money and idea and build a ground-up pair of new speakers. Be a fun project, give lots of satisfaction, and people here will help you along the way. There are guys here that have been known to throw together quick crossover schematics for basic designs for people, and they are worlds better than an off the shelf unit.

Now, in the mean time. You are on a great track with what you have by using a small sub. The wiring thru the sub is taking off the lows that are only plaguing your optimus units anyway. Give the murphyblaster crossover a shot (even if it is the cheaper version). Parts will be relatively cheap (no need to buy crazy expensive caps for this project, just the least expensive polys you can find for the tweeter and an electrolytic (bipolar of course) for the one in parallel for the woofer. Remember though, his schem shows resistors before the inductors, those are not really there, they just sim the resistance of the inductor itself. The 10 ohm resistor before the cap really exists.

Then to further mod your optimus', feel free to try to wedge and glue some wood dowels in from front to back and side to side to sturdy up the cabs. Then play around with different amounts and types of cabinet lining materials to further help you voice the speaker to your liking.

Again, lots of opinions, that is mine

Comment

IIRC, there's an air leak where the wires go through to the tweeter plus the front baffle leaks. Some silicon rubber will fix those issues. Also, IIRC, they sound better with the the port tightly plugged. Oh... and IIRC, there's no stuffing in the box so adding a little may help.
            "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

dynamo and Tin_Ears, thank you for the additional information. Not to discount the valuable contributions by cmac and killa, kudos to you, Dynamo, for the encouragement. Indeed it is difficult to accept what in your mind is a really "cool" design, but reality is the better teacher. I'll incorporate all of the suggestions so far, and will let you know how it's going. The wedging of wooden dowels to firm up the cabinet is a new one. Of all the mods I've collected regarding the LX5's that was the first I've read of that.

Again, many thanks!

Comment

FWIW, I like the Linaeum tweeters and I think the LX5 sound quite nice once the leaks are sealed though they could probably use a minor crossover upgrade. Just a simple/inexpensive 2nd order crossover would make a nice difference, I think, but it's not nearly as important as sealing the air leaks. Now that I think about it, later models may not have the leak problem... I don't know.
                "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

While I really like the Linaeum dipole tweeters and would do a build with them if I could find them cheap, there are just better OB/ 2-ways out there. So have fun, but my advice would be not to spend too much time and $ before you try a new proven design.
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                  X