RS180P-8 and RS28F

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RS180P-8 and RS28F

Pete , that sim and curves were not the final crossover but very close to it, my post with the off axis curves was though . these are designed to be on wall surrounds witch did present some challenges . as far as distortion , i posted a near-field (2" off the plug) shot that showed 3rd order . i'll have to go back through my files to see if i kept more . i also just moved and haven't had time to set up testing gear yet but i'm getting ready for a pro-driver 3way and when i get set up would be glad to run some more distortion sweeps ....

post # 67 is final XO and # 25 shows 3rd order ...
    Last edited by filmslayer; 02-23-2015, 08:41 AM. Reason: added post #'s
    Paper Towers
    RS180P/28F surrounds
    Boombox

Comment

ZOMBIE ALERT :

finally started putting a finish on these ! these have become me reference when voicing , they would make a perfect desk top monitor X'ed to a small sub .

Click image for larger version

Name:	180p28ffinish.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1381759
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

filled primed and sanded . not sure what color i want to go with yet .

Name:	surrounds.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1383024
        Paper Towers
        RS180P/28F surrounds
        Boombox

Comment

was hoping to get these painted this week as my buddy is going to be spraying a Nissan truck with dark metallic charcoal . BUT upon inspecting them the primer has had a adverse effect . all the bondo'ed seems have shrunk and are visible and it appears to have stressed my 1" baffle to the point of cracking it just before it rounds over ... Click image for larger version

Name:	primercrack.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1384340
          Paper Towers
          RS180P/28F surrounds
          Boombox

Comment

looks pretty sweet. wish i saw this thread before. I've gone the same woofer with the peerless tweeter, fingers crossed they turn out like yours.

Comment

I didn't realize the bondo would shrink - perhaps the MDF (or ply) did instead of the bondo? Either way, tough break!

Comment

Originally posted by scottvalentin View Post
                I didn't realize the bondo would shrink - perhaps the MDF (or ply) did instead of the bondo? Either way, tough break!
                thats what i'm starting think , the mdf swelled . those seems were bondo'ed twice and blocked smooth . they sat unfinished in a climate controlled room for almost 4 years and the two weeks they were at the shop it rained all day every day . not to mention the high humidity that we have anyway in FL .
                Paper Towers
                RS180P/28F surrounds
                Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post

thats what i'm starting think , the mdf swelled . those seems were bondo'ed twice and blocked smooth . they sat unfinished in a climate controlled room for almost 4 years and the two weeks they were at the shop it rained all day every day . not to mention the high humidity that we have anyway in FL .
                  Yeah that might do it - hopefully an easy fix and ready for paint soon

Comment

plan going forward is to wait until the day they're going to be painted and i'll skim coat and sand all the seems one more time . then prime , sand and paint . this morning i injected super glue into the crack to bond it together . tonight i'll sand that then inject some TitebondII into it.
                    Paper Towers
                    RS180P/28F surrounds
                    Boombox

Comment

injected the crack with super glue and clamped ... skim coated bondo and sanded over the weekend . they're back in the booth !!! hoping for pearl white tomorrow ...
                      Paper Towers
                      RS180P/28F surrounds
                      Boombox

Comment

i am stoked ! pearl white going on ...

Paper Towers
                        RS180P/28F surrounds
                        Boombox

Comment

Paper Towers
                          RS180P/28F surrounds
                          Boombox

Comment

Wow - that is outstanding! Nice result!

Comment

got em home at lunch , they will be back together tonight ... can't wait it has been awhile and some of my better XO work .... Click image for larger version  Name:	180p28ffinish5.PNG Views:	1 Size:	113.6 KB ID:	1388790Click image for larger version  Name:	180p28fxo.jpg Views:	1 Size:	256.5 KB ID:	1388791
                              Paper Towers
                              RS180P/28F surrounds
                              Boombox

Comment

drank a bit last night so i got up early this morning and got them back together and a quick play . will measure tonight to make sure everything is right ...

Name:	180p28ffinish6.PNG
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1388890Click image for larger version

Name:	180p28ffinish7.PNG
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1388891Click image for larger version

Name:	180p28ffinish8.PNG
Size:	131.5 KB