RS180P-8 and RS28F

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS180P-8 and RS28F

has anyone already worked with these drivers ?

as i am still voicing my towers i have begun to think about my next project , surrounds for the towers and i think this combo will work well ...
    Paper Towers
    RS180P/28F surrounds
    Boombox

Re: RS180P-8 and RS28F

In that combination, not sure, but I know one person did a an rs180p+sb acoustics sb26 project, and someone else did a WWMTM rs-p project.

They have limited bass, of course, but I would expect for a surround speaker that combo would work well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by civit View Post
      In that combination, not sure, but I know one person did a an rs180p+sb acoustics sb26 project, and someone else did a WWMTM rs-p project.

They have limited bass, of course, but I would expect for a surround speaker that combo would work well enough.
      thanks civit , i am the wwmtm rs-p project and want to do these for the surrounds ....
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

I have baffles cut for this, but no time for a few weeks to work on it.
        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Yes, Jon March did a version of his Modula TM with RS180 and several tweeter variants, including RS28's. The impedence chart leads me to believe he used RS180-8.

I've looked into using the RS180-4 in a surround application, for it's higher voltage sensitivity compared with RS180-8-based MTMs. When using room EQ software with low sensitivity surrounds, I noticed the SW would drop the signal to my fronts by 10dB to match sound output for all speakers. I didn't think it a good idea to send 10x the power speakers with the least power handling in the system, thus the search for comparable sensitivity. Mount the surroungs on the wall, and the lack of BSC, combined with higher sensitivity, should to the trick... if I ever build them!

Not sure why civit thinks bass would be limited... Jon ported his build with a 34Hz tune, and my MTM towers are tuned at 30Hz.

Have fun,
          Frank

Comment

Originally posted by fbov View Post
            Yes, Jon March did a version of his Modula TM with RS180 and several tweeter variants, including RS28's. The impedence chart leads me to believe he used RS180-8.

I've looked into using the RS180-4 in a surround application, for it's higher voltage sensitivity compared with RS180-8-based MTMs. When using room EQ software with low sensitivity surrounds, I noticed the SW would drop the signal to my fronts by 10dB to match sound output for all speakers. I didn't think it a good idea to send 10x the power speakers with the least power handling in the system, thus the search for comparable sensitivity. Mount the surroungs on the wall, and the lack of BSC, combined with higher sensitivity, should to the trick... if I ever build them!

Not sure why civit thinks bass would be limited... Jon ported his build with a 34Hz tune, and my MTM towers are tuned at 30Hz.

Have fun,
            Frank
            I believe he is referring to the paper cone version - RS180P.
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

there are too many RS180's out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                I have baffles cut for this, but no time for a few weeks to work on it.
                this might be good as i probably have another month on the towers ...

Originally posted by fbov View Post
                there are too many RS180's out there...
                lol
                Paper Towers
                RS180P/28F surrounds
                Boombox

Comment

I don't know why you think limited bass. Not too different from RS180. A quick box model in 19 liters net w/ 47Hz tune gives F3/F10 45/36. 43Hz tune gives F3/F10 41/33.

These are pretty typical numbers for the RS180 metal cones so I don't get the limited bass comment.

Originally posted by civit View Post

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                  OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                  Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                  Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                  Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                  LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

fastbike , was your quick sim sealed or vented ?

i would not be looking for a whole lot of extension as mine will be surrounds and was thinking sealed for a smaller cab ...
                    Paper Towers
                    RS180P/28F surrounds
                    Boombox

Comment

Every project I've built with the RS180 is anything but bass-shy. I'm talking about the alu version, but it doesn't seem that much different from the paper version, spec-wise.
                      Line Array: IDS-25 Clone, FE-83.
                      2-2.5 Way:
                      Zaph Audio's winning entry: ZA5+SB29. - Microliths: RS125+RS28. - Small Bangs: TB W4-1658SB+SEAS 27TBFC/G. - Monoliths: Peerless 830884+SEAS 27TBFC/G.
                      3-3.5 Way:Miniliths: SEAS P21/CA21REX+Neo8 PDR+Neo3 PDR. - Megaliths: 2xDayton RS270+2xT-B W4-1337SB+SB29. - ZDT3.5 +: 2xDayton RS180+Dayton RS52+Vifa DQ25. Reflexos: OB 4xDayton RS150 + Neo3 PDR.

Comment

I have built with the RS180 alumin version, as well. The bass is well balanced and can go deep. It is not overwhelming, but seems very accurate to source. I wonder, Civit, if you added enough baffle step compensation?
                        Jay
                        Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall.

Comment

i pulled the trigger on the drivers today and built two box's outta the scrap pile ...

i know there have been a couple others asking about these , i have worked with the 28F and have all the files and could use some help with 180's if you'd like to share info ...

do y'all want another long newbie don't knowshit build thread ?
                          Paper Towers
                          RS180P/28F surrounds
                          Boombox

Comment

got the drivers in today and are already in box ready for testing ...

Paper Towers
                            RS180P/28F surrounds
                            Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
                              has anyone already worked with these drivers ?

as i am still voicing my towers i have begun to think about my next project , surrounds for the towers and i think this combo will work well ...
                              I'm using this tweeter and the original RS180 midwoofer in a tower. The biggest problem I had with that combo was the extreme response peak the MW had. It was a pain building just the right notch filter to take that peak out, but once done the two drivers worked very well together.
                              I see this new RS180 doesn't have that response peak, making it much easier to use. If it had been available when I built
                              my project, I would have gotten it.
                              I'd have to say this would make for an excellent sounding combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X