Review and Recommendation for Fusion-Alchemy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review and Recommendation for Fusion-Alchemy

Alright, I built and have been breaking in my alchemys for several weeks. I was going to review after 2 weeks but I am glad I didnt. I am horrible at dialing in my Denon AVR-891. I dont know where I got lost coming out of the 80's and 90's but trying to set up my receiver manually was difficult and a learning experience. Let me narrate my progression over the past several weeks and ask for the help from the awesome guys who have helped me so far.

I finished the alchemys and plugged them in right away. I was patient because every review said they need a good break in period. First impressions were ok and I really pumped the jams to break them in. They were set up in my garage and I can get loud in my garage. Thing was the Denon was not set up right so they werent able to fully shine. I thought I f##ked up the crossovers or something else but after reading the batpig info I was able to understand the language that I had been lost in, sort of. Note: I bought my receiver as a floor model and I did not get a remote or audyssey mic or anything for that matter so I was left with manual set up.

At present my set up with the alchemys is a 15" sub that I handbuilt with help from this forum which is powered with a crown xls 1000 in a 2 car garage with 10ft ceilings. The alchemys are situated with waveguide about 5.5ft right and left of the tv in the middle of the garage. The sub is right under the tv.

I listen to alot of metal music out here as well as tv and movies and I am missing that mid thunk/snap when listening to my hard stuff. The set up sounds great with tv/movies but my beloved hard rock is suffering. The denon is set up with the alchemys at small and the sub LFE 120hz. I put the crossover freq at 80hz. per the batpig info. I have changed every setting up and down many times just to hear the difference and I am lost at sea. I am great at dialing in live sound and setting up my amp in my truck but I cant get my garage right.

Any suggestions?

Re: Review and Recommendation for Fusion-Alchemy

Sounds to me like small-room-nulls. Have you measured the steady-state response at the LP?
    :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

First thing I'd try, honestly would be to scrounge up the missing mic and let the Audyssey MultEQ do its' thing... have you tried Denon support?

Ed Henderson

Comment

Getting a sub right in a room can be tricky. You probably have a room node. A sub in the center of a room is usually not optimal. You might try moving it around. Also you may want to check phase and be sure the polarity on your Alchemy is correct.

You might also want the sub crossover frequency to overlap your mains. Subs all roll off different depending on the driver and the sub crossover adds to the natural rolloff of the sub.

Comment

The other suggestions about subwoofer placement are bang on target. Getting that x-over part between the subs and the mains (that includes not only the HP on the mains and the LP on the subs, but also the SPL level of each at the x-over point) is key.

With the Alchemy 8s, you may also want to try something that seems to work well for me with my Blastoramas, which use the same midbass driver and similar tuning - add some boost @60 Hz, around 3~6 dB, with a Q of around 2 (you may be able to do that with your Denon if it offers graphic EQ options.) and push the HP filter down to 60 Hz or slightly below. This extends the FR down a bit without much impact on power handling at higher levels
          Brian Steele
          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post
            First thing I'd try, honestly would be to scrounge up the missing mic and let the Audyssey MultEQ do its' thing... have you tried Denon support?

Just ordered the mic off of ebay. Its time to let Audyssey do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkitup View Post
              Just ordered the mic off of ebay. Its time to let Audyssey do the work.
              Cool. As the others recommended above, you'll probably still have work to do with placement... but FWIW I've got the XT32 version of Audessey MultiEQ in a Denon 4311, and it was a definite help in getting the room calibration into the ballpark.

Ed Henderson

Comment

How did it go after letting audyssey calibrate? Curious minds want to know

Comment

Keep in mind that good recordings will sound good......but bad recordings will sound pretty bad on these types of speakers. That could be the problem you're having.

Comment

Working...
                  X