The Continuums - the saga continues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Continuums - the saga continues

The popularity of the little Continuums has been fun. So, I thought that maybe I could improve the experience for some potential owners. I took my idea to Erich at diysoundgroup, because when it comes to getting things like this done Erich is totally awesome.

Well, he liked my idea and after tossing back and forth different ideas we settled on the following. A professionally made CNC cut cabinet made of solid Bamboo. Bamboo is a very hard, strong, and dense wood and it turns out it machines beautifully with a very smooth surface. Since the cabinet will be fully assembled from the manufacturer we went with a conventional front flush mounting of the drivers. The recesses are CNC cut and fit the drivers perfectly. It is a very professional looking speaker.

Erich has sent me a pair of the prototypes and in order to adequately test everything I ordered a full Continuum kit from Meniscus. I figured it was the easiest way to get all that I needed, and even a few extra parts to put back. The kit has everything a person needs except the cabinet (wire, screws, gasket material, binding posts, egg-crate foam, etc. all included)
    This was the first time I have seen the way the kit comes and I was surprised at the way Meniscus did the crossovers for the kit. I found it very interesting. It comes with pre-cut boards that fit through the woofer opening with no problem. These come with a peel-away decal that you peel off and stick to the board. The decal shows where every part for the crossover needs to be placed and instructions show how to wire it. It’s a nice little feature for the guy putting the crossover together.

The next surprise I got from the kit was how it turned out. I made my original set of Continuums in 2006. They were introduced in 2007 at Richamond IN gathering and by 2008 I was authorizing other people to make them. There are a lot of them out there now. However, this is 2014 and things can change a lot in 8 years. I was concerned that the drivers, since they are Chinese made, may be different now. I know the cone of the woofer looks a little different than my cones look. So I built a set the bamboo cabinet with the new drivers to compare with my original set. I was also concerned about the different offset with the woofer.

First, I found that the difference in offset makes almost no measurable difference at all in the summed response, probably due to the low crossover point. Second, I found that the new drivers do measure slightly differently than my original set. The new “bamboo” Continuum has slightly smoother frequency response, which was a real surprise. So response differences worked out to make the speaker a bit more linear. I have been listening an tweaking and have decided to leave the crossover unchanged from the kit. This give the best overall balance and sounds like, well, a Continuum. And finally, what the new woofer gave up in a little sensitivity it gave back in bass extension, as the new speaker extends about 10 Hz lower on the bottom end (flat to 60 Hz and good bass to 50 Hz and below).

All in all I am very pleased with the sound from the bamboo Continuum. In fact, I still think this is the most balanced sounding mini-monitor I have ever heard, and it may be a little better now. The BBC acoustic scaling of this speaker is right on the nose and midrange and high end distortion are very, very low. vocals have such a natural balance that on some material it's uncanny.

We're still working on details and I have no idea about pricing, but I really enjoy this little speaker. This cabinet, and the fact that I can now officially endorse front mounting of the woofer, will make it a lot easier on builders. Erich has an idea for a solid Corian cabinet too, which will have mass that will probably easily exceed my original maple cabinets (the bamboo are lighter than my maple ones). This could be an nice upgrade, even over the bamboo. I am looking forward to checking that out too.

Here are a few pics of the bamboo cabinets.

Jeff B.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Re: The Continuums - the saga continues

Those look absolutely fantastic. Glad it all worked out!

Comment

They are beautiful cabinets. I have heard so many good things about the sound I am sure they are fantastic.

Comment

Wow, those are some nice looking cabinets!!! I actually like the woofer front mounted, but I'm sure others will totally disagree.

+1...Bamboo Cabinets from Erich, I think I would have to invest in a pair of those.
        Paul

The "SB's" build page
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Beautiful Jeff, just beautiful... a classy little speaker and I hope to get a chance to hear them someday. I have been intrigued by your continuum design for a few years now. I am a big fan of the Harbeth lineup and history and house sound of that speaker line, and I have always thought your Continuum was a real contender with the P3esr and if I am not mistaken you have hinted at some real confidence in your design given any opportunity to go head to head. I would not be surprised at all if you have managed to humble that commercial product with this design.

As I press forward with my own over the top project (The Javelin), I have to live with stuff like this hanging over my head, thanks a bunch, I have enough self-esteem problems as it is As good as your speakers are, I hope my wife never hears them and then adds up the value for dollar between this kit and my own project...

Comment

Darn I thought you were going to add a woofer :( :D I did sim the ac130f1 in my current 3way project but I didn't feel like trying to modify the baffle and I got the current mid to play nice. The AC would be very easy to work into a three way for anyone who would care to try it. It can be easily shaped with second order high/low pass electrical.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
              Darn I thought you were going to add a woofer :( :D I did sim the ac130f1 in my current 3way project but I didn't feel like trying to modify the baffle and I got the current mid to play nice. The AC would be very easy to work into a three way for anyone who would care to try it. It can be easily shaped with second order high/low pass electrical.
              I have been asked for a three-way Continuum or three-way Kairos more than anything else. One of these days I will have to do this. It's just a matter of coming up with the time to work on it. There always seems to be a backlog of projects to complete.

Comment

Jeff,

Great looking Speaker

I love the sound of ls3/5a, I owned several of them (from diff't manufacturer) and also the harbeth p3.

I am hoping that someday you'll design a compact big woofer 3 way with bbc sound gen

in the mean time , Is there any plan for something like ls3/5a Bass extender?

best regards

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                  I have been asked for a three-way Continuum or three-way Kairos more than anything else. One of these days I will have to do this. It's just a matter of coming up with the time to work on it. There always seems to be a backlog of projects to complete.
                  I was just kidding. While it would be cool I would rather try to build my own sometime in the future. I am curious if you have any thought as to what woofer might work well? I have found that finding three drivers that work well together is much harder than finding two that work together.

Comment

now that is what a speaker is suppose to look like. great job on the cabs.
                    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Awesome cabs. I prefer the front mount as well.
                      My Build Thread's
                      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

I dig it. I suppose the bamboo can be finished with some sort of oil, such as Danish oil or Tru-Oil? I think that would make the grain stand out and would look fabulous.
                        1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                        2: Computer > Schiit Übered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Originally posted by johnhenry View Post
                          Jeff,

Great looking Speaker

I love the sound of ls3/5a, I owned several of them (from diff't manufacturer) and also the harbeth p3.

I am hoping that someday you'll design a compact big woofer 3 way with bbc sound gen

in the mean time , Is there any plan for something like ls3/5a Bass extender?

best regards
                          Yes, I have given that some thought. I did make the Continuum subwoofer already, but I have also thought about a passive low frequency unit that can double as a stand. I have considered that CSS SDX-10 for a driver, and if it looks like it might have availability issues then maybe an SB29NRX or a Scanspeak woofer.

Comment

Yes, I have given that some thought. I did make the Continuum subwoofer already, but I have also thought about a passive low frequency unit that can double as a stand. I have considered that CSS SDX-10 for a driver, and if it looks like it might have availability issues then maybe an SB29NRX or a Scanspeak woofer.
                            any chance of a MTM version ?
                            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Yes, I have given that some thought. I did make the Continuum subwoofer already, ....
                              Is a Continuum sub available as a kit?

Like others, I would also love to see a 3-way version of the Continuum and Kairo.
                              1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                              2: Computer > Schiit Übered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Working...
                              X