No announcement yet.

The Continuums - the saga continues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick overview. Starting with the tweetes. The Morel tweeter had a more realistic top end. More air and better reproduction of cymbal, and drums being played with brushes. The mids were very even, and both very good. The Continuum had deeper slightly deeper bass, but not quite as articulate. So you can't go wrong with either one. If I was going to use a sub the Viva Voce would be my pick. No sub the Continuum. The Morel tweeter just had something the Dayton doesn't.
    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

• Thank You! I’d say your review is worth 100x what mine is. I haven’t heard either and when I finally put the scratch together to enjoy a Jeff Bagby design continuum was NLA. I will order the Viva Voce kit and plan on a sub, or maybe the mandolin kit. Wow that was easy!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by jacobwayne154 View Post
        Thank You! I’d say your review is worth 100x what mine is. I haven’t heard either and when I finally put the scratch together to enjoy a Jeff Bagby design continuum was NLA. I will order the Viva Voce kit and plan on a sub, or maybe the mandolin kit. Wow that was easy!?!

i am sure you will like it. it is a nice sounding speaker.
        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

• They both sounded very nice to me as well. I preferred the Continuum by 'splitting hairs' margin.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Originally posted by craigk View Post

I was there ... how much is a review worth ????
            Unending gratitude and no Chillicothe jokes?

Comment

• Frankenstein lives! I am nearing the completion of my Continuums. Today I admit to testing them with no back cover and the baffle just stuck in place. The box is not exactly air tight

The mids are there. The tweeter is smooth the music is cohesive. I really just wanted to make sure my crossovers were functional. I do have more cabinet resonance than my LS3/5a even though they are very similar construction. I will address that after I get them a little closer.

Fun fun.
              Last edited by stephenmarklay; 01-13-2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• One is done (well I have to make the grill yet.) I have to get a resistor that I broke for the other one. I have been doing some listening to make sure it is acting normal. It is. I have been playing it along side a natural comparison Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2

These two speakers are certainly from the same ilk. The Continuum is a little more sensitive though. I will have to wait for any real comparisons but it looks and sounds promising.

This is my very first build and while it was not “easy” for me with pretty primitive tools, I am very satisfied with the outcome. I learned a lot and will do better next go around.

This was really fun and I hope to take the next step up this year.

Thanks Jeff for for the continuum and thanks everyone for answering my dumb questions along the way.

Comment

• I think they look great, wish I could give them a listen.

Comment

• Originally posted by philthien View Post
                    I think they look great, wish I could give them a listen.
                    Thank you Philthian. For sure not up to the level of a lot of you veterans but I am really happy it all did not turn into a heap of wood and such in a scrap yard

Comment

• I am calling this one done! I still have to make some grills however. I am going to play with the stuffing. They sound a little “tight” and I think that I may be taking out too much of the bass hump that make the LS3/5a variants magical. They do however sound great. Just a little tweaking yet.

Comment

• Nice!

You've provided motivation for me to get cracking on mine.
                        Bill Schneider
                        -+-+-+-+-
                        www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                          Nice!

You've provided motivation for me to get cracking on mine.
                          It took me like 8 years to start and 2 weeks to finish

Comment

• I am interested if toe in on these is recommended? It seems to produce better imaging in my room.

Comment

• Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                              I am interested if toe in on these is recommended? It seems to produce better imaging in my room.
                              From what I have read, they have a pretty decent power response. That being said, seems like you have answered your question. If toe in sounds good, then go for it. I heard pair over the weekend. Totally amazed by this speaker.

Comment

• I ended up removing some fiberglass and the sounds is more open and relaxed plus it did make them louder. Makes sense. However, I do think they sounds a tad over damped. Right now I have 1” dense poly on all the walls except for the baffle. I would not think this would be too much as I do not have any loose fill at all.

I feel like the bottom is not as good as it could be. Suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X