The Continuums - the saga continues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here you go:

"Internal height of the MLTL is 40". Internal cross section is 6.5" X 5.5". Woofer is 7.75" from the top mounted on the wide face. Port is 2" x3" mounted 2" above the bottom (internal). Stuffing is .75 lb / sq ft in the top 1/2 only."

Post #27 from http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-tl-done/page2
    "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

• Thank you. I will do that.

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
      I don't know what Maynard's dimensions are, but yes, the actual position of the woofer and port are critical in a MLTL design. I would PM Wolf to get Maynard's email address.

Comment

• Thank you. Yes I am referring to this. The 7.75 I assume is to the center of the woofer. Looking at his pictures and drawing it out makes me think that is the case. But the port on the other hand looks at least 2 inches from the bottom so I am guessing that is measured to the bottom of the port hole. These are guesses however.

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
        Here you go:

"Internal height of the MLTL is 40". Internal cross section is 6.5" X 5.5". Woofer is 7.75" from the top mounted on the wide face. Port is 2" x3" mounted 2" above the bottom (internal). Stuffing is .75 lb / sq ft in the top 1/2 only."

Post #27 from http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-tl-done/page2
        Last edited by stephenmarklay; 02-21-2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• I pinged Maynard with a link to this thread. Hopefully, he'll chime in....
          Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Sure thing. All measures in the MLTL are internal measures to centers. There are no real braces. I have a small dowel placed half way down the line to hold up the poly.

Comment

• Originally posted by maynardg View Post
              Sure thing. All measures in the MLTL are internal measures to centers. There are no real braces. I have a small dowel placed half way down the line to hold up the poly.
              Thank you so much! Time to start making some dust I was thinking about adding a couple of braces and making it a tad deeper. Will this work if the volume is the same on a MLTL?

EDIT: I think I found the answer in an older MLTL thread http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-mltl-question

Comment

• Given the small side dimensions, I don't really think you would hear a benefit from a brace. Either way, I don't think light bracing will change volume enough to matter. You are not going to rattle the walls with these. You will find Xmax the hard way first.

Comment

• Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                  Given the small side dimensions, I don't really think you would hear a benefit from a brace. Either way, I don't think light bracing will change volume enough to matter. You are not going to rattle the walls with these. You will find Xmax the hard way first.
                  Thanks Maynardg. I am not really worried about that either and bracing not be extensive at all. I am going to use batons of hardwood that the top front and rear will be removable. I hope I can do them justice.

Comment

• I started cutting the panels for the MLTL Continuum today. I am working a ton so this might take me some time but this will be fun.

Comment

• Is the exact woofer placement, in this case Maynardg specified 7.5” integral to the MLTL design? I was working on this today and realized my Continuum is a bit lower than that. I understand the woofer/tweeter separation can matter but I was unsure if the MLTL makes the 7.5” an integral part of the design.

Comment

• Yes.

Comment

• Thanks djg. I am glad I asked.

Comment

• Once the woofer's location is determined, the port's location is optimized via modeling based on the woofer's location and the internal height (line length) of the cabinet, resulting in the smoothest possible overall response shape. If your woofer location is only a "bit" lower, like 1/4" to 1/2", it will unlikely make any audible difference, but if you can locate it the same, that's the better choice.
                            Paul

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                            Is the exact woofer placement, in this case Maynardg specified 7.5” integral to the MLTL design? I was working on this today and realized my Continuum is a bit lower than that. I understand the woofer/tweeter separation can matter but I was unsure if the MLTL makes the 7.5” an integral part of the design.

Comment

• Comment

• I have been working a ton over the last month and have not had a huge amount of time t work on this MLTL Continuum. I was able to get some done last Sunday and today so the project is underway.

The box is glued but the battens and panels are just set there. I allowed some space on the baffles for veneer.

The front lower section will be screwed to the battens from the inside to make the front clean looking. The upper baffles will be bolted to the rear baffles with a sorbathane gasket. Something I have wanted to try to eliminate some of the box vibrations. The rear lower panel will be screwed in from the outside.

That is plan A anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X