Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extrapolated Theorization: "Xenoliths"....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bkeane1259
    replied
    Re: Extrapolated Theorization: "Xenoliths"....

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    The Oversights were listened to vertically at InDIYana, but do you listen to them on their sides at home? I did wonder about this.

Thanks for the compliments,
    Wolf
    The guy I sold them to has them that way flanking his TV which is like 5' away from his couch (small apartment). I never had a chance to fuss with them after my DQ at Indy. One of my coworkers snatched them up and loved them as is....so off they went.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

I got to listen to them at Ben's place before we left for KY. Though they were sitting well below ear level, I was only about 5-6 ft from them and the bass was pretty darn good. If you know how much of a bass head I am, then you know how much of a compliment that is. In our hotel room running of Rory's class d amp, they sounded very full bodied and balanced.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
    They sounded really smooth at the show, little lite on the bass. Would have figured more out of it, otherwise nice tonal quality. So what kinda finish ya thinking?
    Since these are going in Boog's bedroom, the wife wants purple. More on that later....

It was a really big room, so there was no reinforcement for something so small. Closer to walls they fill in nicely in the lower ranges. I don't really find them light, but just not really low extended. F3 is only 62, but F10 is 44 Hz(sim). Closer to the listener the bass is better too.

Glad you liked them!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• 6thplanet
    replied

They sounded really smooth at the show, little lite on the bass. Would have figured more out of it, otherwise nice tonal quality. So what kinda finish ya thinking?

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    This was an interesting design and didn't sound half bad at Kentucky. I wondered how they might fare in a nearfield setup for a DJ or music editor....that's what came to mind as I saw them horizontally at the show. Reminds me much of the ones I tried to knock out for the black box competition.

I like horizontal monitors......That's totally biased though.
    The Oversights were listened to vertically at InDIYana, but do you listen to them on their sides at home? I did wonder about this.

Thanks for the compliments,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

This was an interesting design and didn't sound half bad at Kentucky. I wondered how they might fare in a nearfield setup for a DJ or music editor....that's what came to mind as I saw them horizontally at the show. Reminds me much of the ones I tried to knock out for the black box competition.

I like horizontal monitors......That's totally biased though.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Okay- PICTURES!!!

The resistors left to right are: 20/3.3/30/2.0(1.8 is what I used). Strapping them around the 15uF Solen allowed mucho breathing room, and also made it easier to reach and solder to the rest of the parts in the circuit.
    Here's the layout for the xover:

If you use NPE caps for at least the larger values, you may be able to shoehorn the xovers into the boxes behind the woofers- mounted to the inside rear wall. Since I used the 47uF Q4's, I was not able to do so. I'll make a semicylindrical cover for it to keep it isolated. The drivers cost ~$150 for all 6, so you make the choice about what parts suit you.

Chambers:
    I used 1/2" scrap for the main wall, and 1/4" hardboard for the top of the chamber:

I used 1/4" holes and dowels for alignment, 3 to be exact. 2 in the top, and one in the front-bottom to keep the corner aligned while gluing. It also added a clamp-point for a spring-clamp to hold while the glue sets:

Since I used the knock-down's rear baffle as the inside front baffle, I had to cut it away in a scalloping style manner to remove enough material for the 3" and 6.5". The hole dimensions and rebates are written on the woofer sketch of what I had to cut into the front-outer baffles.

Cut out:

Port:
    I used a 3/4" radius on the exit, but apparently pictures have not been shot of that yet. I sanded the perimeter, and notched the mounting edge to provide a grabbing point for the glue to hold and adhere. It only passes the mid chamber by about a half inch. I placed the port at half-height of the box, and against the chamber on the inside.

I used 3 oz. of polyfill in the woofer sector, keeping a path open to the inner port end. I used Ultratouch shredded denim in the midrange chamber, loosely filled.

As they currently sit:

More info to come!
    Thanks for looking,
    Wolf

PS- these are very easy on the ears. Matt heard them late Saturday night after CKY-DIY, and sat rather close at higher levels. He recommended them for nearfield monitoring.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Pictures later.....

Had the midrange chambers constructed over the weekend before this one.
    11/9/14 cut holes for drivers in inner baffle. Glued in ports.
    11/10/14 screwed up outer baffle, made new one. Cut Mid and Tweet rebates and through holes in outer baffles. Gouged hand with awl. Glued on back baffles.
    11/11/14 flush trimmed to inside of port and backs to box. Rounded port exit. Cut out through holes and rebates for woofers. CHECKED FIT- phew... Glued on outer baffles.

11/12/14 will be flush-trimming outer baffles and rounding over remade outer baffle. Drill for screws, attach xover to back of box- more on that later.... Run wires and hopefully solder last joints.

These will be going to KY!!!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by kevinr View Post
    nice , thanks for sharing .
    a small form factor 3 way is something folks are looking for. It looks like a tempting and affordable project.
    Right now I'm doing xover layouts... It's hard to get this one to meet the 5" requirement to get inside the woofer cutout, but I did it!
    I think the port will have to automatically be in the higher position so the xover can sit on the floor of the enclosure, or placed far enough from the back wall so the xover can sit on edge behind the port against the back wall. Time will tell....

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• kevinr
    replied

nice , thanks for sharing .
    a small form factor 3 way is something folks are looking for. It looks like a tempting and affordable project.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Xenolith Schematic (Preliminary):

Not bad for a 3-way,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Meteorite Schematic (Preliminary):

There it is,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

Cool project Wolf. Hopefully I can hear them in Indiana.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
    Is it somewhat safe to assume if the .15mH 16 ga. foil inductor is NLA, the next closest air core will work? A new full-blown schematic for the three-way for the heathens here would be muchly appreciated. Would you say that's a "6 ohm" nominal speaker? I know it's better than a 5 ohm and with only two small and brief dips below 5 ohms is my ask-it. Wolf, except for the DC-165's woofer spikes, that is one of the flattest impedance designs using normal priced drivers I've seen in a long time, and Bravo! $145.46 worth of drivers and I hope under $60 worth of XO parts would put this design in the budget class.
    I'm not using the Jantzen Cross-Coil this time around, but the gauge is likely okay with 15/16-air. PE does stock the Foil, last I checked. I will make a newer schematic when I get around to it. The DCR of the circuit may hit closer to 4.3 in the bass range, but above that I suppose 6 ohm nominal is a close guess. Heck- commercial designs might call this 8 ohm nominal. Mine will have more than $60 in xover parts, but you are welcome to trade off where you want to. It will still be budget class at MWAF, as xover parts are not factored into cost.

Yes- these will be bricks, small and heavy bricks.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

Is it somewhat safe to assume if the .15mH 16 ga. foil inductor is NLA, the next closest air core will work? A new full-blown schematic for the three-way for the heathens here would be muchly appreciated. Would you say that's a "6 ohm" nominal speaker? I know it's better than a 5 ohm and with only two small and brief dips below 5 ohms is my ask-it. Wolf, except for the DC-165's woofer spikes, that is one of the flattest impedance designs using normal priced drivers I've seen in a long time, and Bravo! $145.46 worth of drivers and I hope under $60 worth of XO parts would put this design in the budget class.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X