OT: This Week, I'm a Sexagenarian...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: This Week, I'm a Sexagenarian...

So I decided to join this elite group of AARP card holders this week. Major time in my life, full of challenges such as career, health, but overall, I'm very happy with my life. Some significant life events: first, escaping from Vietnam and landing on the shores of this country in 1975, second, getting a degree in nursing and using that same knowledge to diagnose my Type II Diabetes before dropping dead. Didn't want to start a family when I was poor, so I still have a 14 year old daughter who needs to finish high school and start college. Retirement is just a dream at this point, but so what? On the flip side, I've been married to the same beautiful lady for 20 years, have a steady job with a horrible 2-hour commute each way, but it pays for everything, including the indulging speaker and amp building hobby. And let's not forget the many friendships and knowledge derived from this incredible forum. So much of my free time, after career and family obligations, is spent on this hobby, so it's only right to give credit to the one person who contributes the most to my speaker building knowledge: Jeff Bagby, with his software and valuable articles, so thank you sir for giving away your secrets for free and providing me with countless hours of fun, enjoyment, and personal pride ("Look honey, I did this in my garage!"). To put everything in perspective, life's great, not without its challenges and stress, but I'd rather "suffer" from these "calamities" in this great country than in some places called Vietnam, North Korea, or Syria. Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever???

Hong
    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
    Sonata Soundbar Project
    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Re: OT: This Week, I'm a Sexagenarian...

Congrats Hong and a happy birthday. I agree with you, being an immigrant myself, this is the best country in the planet. If you work your **** off in this country you will be rewarded.

Comment

Congrats and thank you for the reminder. I was born here and seldom think about how well off I have it compared to other parts of the world.

On a totally different topic I just scored a really cool scrap heat sink that would make a killer Gain Clone
      Craig

Comment

Happy bday neighbor! and thanks for the reminder of what it means to be an American!

Comment

Craig, let me know if you need help building the gainclone.

I hope you know I'm kidding.

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
          Congrats and thank you for the reminder. I was born here and seldom think about how well off I have it compared to other parts of the world.

On a totally different topic I just scored a really cool scrap heat sink that would make a killer Gain Clone
          Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
          ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
          LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
          Sonata Soundbar Project
          The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Congratulations! Reaching the big "6-oh" is like winning the lottery in itself - surprising how many peeps don't
            I totally agree - "retirement is just a dream", but at least I'm still making it.
            Thank the "great maker" (Bab5 reference)

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Hong,

Happy birthday, my friend.

Perhaps a pint of Anderson Valley Boont Amber at Heroes is a good way to celebrate?

Just name the evening.
              Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Happy Birthday! My Vietmamese bud moved here from Stuttgart and then away from NJ to South Carolina after I taught him Amerikanski.

I miss him a lot!

Comment

Congrats Hong.
                  "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                  of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                  - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                  A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                  (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Congrats Hong and thank you for the reminder of how great we actually have it in this country.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

A toast to you Sir. one word for all, "IMAGINE"

Comment

Wow, I am really honored, but I don't really believe deserving. It sounds like you have overcome some tremendous obstacles to achieve the American Dream - Congratulations to you! and Happy Birthday!. It's people like you who are an inspiration to me. I wish you many more wonderful years to enjoy your family and your hobby.
                          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Happy to know you.
                            Happy Birthday Hong.
                            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              Happy to know you.
                              Happy Birthday Hong.
                              Well said. I'd not have guessed 60- you're a good man Hong!

Comment

Working...
                              X