Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Else Equal, Pretty Matters -- Which Would You Choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Else Equal, Pretty Matters -- Which Would You Choose?

The sub-woofer box dimensions for my current project are dictated by the required internal dimensions. However, I think the grill cover might improve the appearance. I've modeled several in SketchUp and narrowed it down to two options.

Here are the variations that I'm considering. Which would you choose?

Option #1: Square grill cover

Front View Click image for larger version

Name:	Cicada Sub #3 Grill #1a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1191006 Oblique View Click image for larger version

Name:	Cicada Sub #3 Grill #1b.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1191007

Option #2: Not square grill cover

Front View Click image for larger version

Name:	Cicada Sub #3 Grill #3a.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1191008 Oblique View Click image for larger version

Name:	Cicada Sub #3 Grill #3b.jpg
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1191009

Of course, feel free to suggest alternative ways to improve the WAF.

Re: All Else Equal, Pretty Matters -- Which Would You Choose?

Honestly, there's not much difference. That said, however, the "Not Square" grille makes the cabinet look a bit less wide, which may appeal to your spouse.
    Paul

Comment

I can see no difference in your images. But when it comes to bigger/better I prefer more petite but louder. Interpret that as you will...
      "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

True, very small diff, but I like #2. More asymmetrical. Depends a lot on surrounding furniture though.

Comment

I choose option one, equal measurement of grill to speaker edge on three sides, expect the port below. On the whole looks more "complete" or "together" for lack of better words.

Comment

How about an elliptical grill that covers both the driver and the vent?
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

I prefer the square grill, but they are both pretty similar

Comment

If there's an option 3 I would vote round grill. IMO Will look more modern and have higher WAF

Comment

Non square is always better IMO
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

How about no grille? Who wants to hide the drivers? Otherwise option 1 looks more correct to me.
                    Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

I prefer one. I think having an equal space around three sides looks more "put together" if you know what I mean.

Comment

In one he's measuring equidistant from the outside and in two starting from the round overs. The grill construction appears to be the same.

If the round overs will be finished the same as the baffle, and the baffle will be finished differently than the sides then go with two (for symmetry as mentioned). If the baffle will have a different finish but the round overs will be finished the same as the sides go with one. Otherwise, differences are subtle.

If these will be used primarily with the grills on do the round overs serve a purpose? I always thought that the round over/chamfer/whatever were done for higher frequency diffraction which in this case would be influenced more by the grill frame, would it not? An honest question.

Comment

Originally posted by knowledgebass View Post
                          If these will be used primarily with the grills on do the round overs serve a purpose? I always thought that the round over/chamfer/whatever were done for higher frequency diffraction which in this case would be influenced more by the grill frame, would it not? An honest question.
                          You're right, the round-overs are strictly cosmetic. I was keeping the sub in the same theme as the MTM's in the set. Also, I figured the ROs would give it a slightly narrower appearance.

Thanks to all. If my count is right, #1 is the winner by 1. I was leaning towards #2 myself so it's back to a tie. Guess I'll flip a coin. Or I could ask the wife.

Edit: Actually, I think I'll model the round grill cover as suggested before deciding.

Comment

number two, no pun.

Comment

golden ratios rule, so 2 is closer, but still could be better.
                              -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                              My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                              The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Working...
                              X