Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

    So, I have a pair of SB15CNX30-4 which i got as door prize during IOWA DIY. Yipppeeee and now i am looking to pick up more dirvers!!!

    I need some help and driver suggestions to mate with this. I am looking at doing a 3 way with the SB15s as the mid, though at this point I am open to suggestions.

    So, a good tweeter for the top end and something for the bottom end (single / dual / multiple). I would most probably go active to start off with, just cause i don't have any experience with crossover design, but learning to do so and taking measurements is my goal for the winter and in spring move the drivers into a nice enclosure.

    So, lets have it folks - let the sparks fly. Oh, and don't hesitate to suggest outrageous designs or configurations - i might build it if it's eccentric enough. I am fine with big or compact, TL, etc ... no set criteria, but looking for a full range as there are some excellent 2 way designs.

    Regards
    Ani

  • #2
    Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

    I'll ask the same questions I ask everyone I've built a speaker for - how big do you want it to be and how much do you want to spend?

    Those are real nice mids, you could go with a SB 10 or 12" woofer to keep visual consistency of drivers, and if you want to stay SB throughout you could go with one of their tweeters as well SB29 or SB26 depending on your budget. I prefer the small flange tweeters so you can tuck them in a bit closer to the mid. For woofers you could use something like SB34NRX75 which looks to be designed specifically to be the bottom end of a 3-way, although the SB woofers are a bit pricey. The cheap alternative would be Peerless SLS.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

      Originally posted by dcibel View Post
      I'll ask the same questions I ask everyone I've built a speaker for - how big do you want it to be and how much do you want to spend?

      Those are real nice mids, you could go with a SB 10 or 12" woofer to keep visual consistency of drivers, and if you want to stay SB throughout you could go with one of their tweeters as well SB29 or SB26 depending on your budget. I prefer the small flange tweeters so you can tuck them in a bit closer to the mid. For woofers you could use something like SB34NRX75 which looks to be designed specifically to be the bottom end of a 3-way, although the SB woofers are a bit pricey. The cheap alternative would be Peerless SLS.
      No restriction on size or budget, but smaller and cheaper is always better. This would be music only, so not expecting sub teen output, 30's-40s would be good. The emphasis would be drivers that would mate well and complement the SB15 nicely.

      on the compact side - a SB26 / SB29 + SB15 + dual Anarchys in around 30-35 Liters gets F3 under 40
      on the larger side - SB26/Sb29 + SB15 + SB23 / SB 29 / SB34

      the peerless are an option - especially the SLS 8 / 10 / 12

      so, looking for driver alternatives that would have good performance vs cost for the built. budget say around 500-600 for the additional drivers. It will be active for now, later passive - so if the driver response are easy to work with, that would be a plus....

      Regards
      Ani

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

        SB drivers are in general easy to work with, response and distortion profile as well. If you go with SB26/29 + SB15 + SB29 you have very very smooth drivers to work with, making for a simple crossover.

        The SB29NRX75-6 is a 6 ohm 10" woofer with 11mm of xmax and [email protected], it looks ideal and will take all kinds of power without breaking a sweat (3" VC):
        Vented box of 2.0 cubic feet with a 3" diameter vent by 12" long for an F3 of 28Hz.
        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
        exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

          Originally posted by dcibel View Post
          SB drivers are in general easy to work with, response and distortion profile as well. If you go with SB26/29 + SB15 + SB29 you have very very smooth drivers to work with, making for a simple crossover.

          The SB29NRX75-6 is a 6 ohm 10" woofer with 11mm of xmax and [email protected], it looks ideal and will take all kinds of power without breaking a sweat (3" VC):
          Vented box of 2.0 cubic feet with a 3" diameter vent by 12" long for an F3 of 28Hz.
          Sounds good. Any preference on the SB 26/ 29. Looks like a few models are available. I don't have any experience with any of the TB drivers.

          Any chance the SB 10' can be turned into a TL / MLTL?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

            Looks like in Tweeters there the following available:

            SB29RDC - 54.25 - ring Dome
            SB29RDCN - 60.30 - ring dome, neo magnet
            SB26STAC - 43,83 - Textile Dome
            SB26STCN - $34.85 - neo magnet
            SB26ADC - $52.92 - Aluminium Dome

            Thanks and Regards
            Ani

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

              the sb26stcn is what i had with the hivi f6's the tweeter was easy to work with (more so than the woofer)

              on the value front, the LD22c is available as factory seconds for $40 a pair +$10s&h. I cant remember if JR used the F or C version in the vermilions that he had at Dakota and Iowa
              "As you start traveling down that road of life, remember this: There are never enough comfort stops. The places youíre going to are never on the map. And once you get that map out, you wonít be able to refold it no matter how smart you are." -kermit the frog

              a good place to check out http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

                Thanks Bryan. Where is the LD22c available? That was a nice design with the SB26stcn and the Hivi F6

                Regards
                Ani

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

                  you have to get it from creative sounds website, i dont know if anyone else carrys them
                  "As you start traveling down that road of life, remember this: There are never enough comfort stops. The places youíre going to are never on the map. And once you get that map out, you wonít be able to refold it no matter how smart you are." -kermit the frog

                  a good place to check out http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

                    Creative Sound, Solen, Meniscus, and Stereo Clarity sell the CSS products, as listed on their website.
                    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

                      In my Sonatello I used the SB23NRX 8" woofer in a 25:1 tapered TL having a line volume of ~2.2 ft3, and the resulting F3 was 32 Hz.
                      Paul

                      Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                      No restriction on size or budget, but smaller and cheaper is always better. This would be music only, so not expecting sub teen output, 30's-40s would be good. The emphasis would be drivers that would mate well and complement the SB15 nicely.

                      on the compact side - a SB26 / SB29 + SB15 + dual Anarchys in around 30-35 Liters gets F3 under 40
                      on the larger side - SB26/Sb29 + SB15 + SB23 / SB 29 / SB34

                      the peerless are an option - especially the SLS 8 / 10 / 12

                      so, looking for driver alternatives that would have good performance vs cost for the built. budget say around 500-600 for the additional drivers. It will be active for now, later passive - so if the driver response are easy to work with, that would be a plus....

                      Regards
                      Ani

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

                        Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                        Any chance the SB 10' can be turned into a TL / MLTL?
                        Highly likely. In fact, I'm pretty sure I modeled one for someone several years ago.
                        Paul

                        Correction: I was wrong. That design was for the SB34NRX, but based on published specs, the 10" woofer should work well in either a tapered TL or ML-TL.
                        Paul

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

                          Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          Highly likely. In fact, I'm pretty sure I modeled one for someone several years ago.
                          Paul

                          Correction: I was wrong. That design was for the SB34NRX, but based on published specs, the 10" woofer should work well in either a tapered TL or ML-TL.
                          Paul
                          Hi Paul.

                          Thanks for repling. Could I bother you to model a mltl for the SB29nrx75? I still do not have the driver on hand.

                          I will look for your Sonatello design.

                          Regards
                          Ani

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

                            Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                            Looks like in Tweeters there the following available:

                            SB29RDC - 54.25 - ring Dome
                            SB29RDCN - 60.30 - ring dome, neo magnet
                            SB26STAC - 43,83 - Textile Dome
                            SB26STCN - $34.85 - neo magnet
                            SB26ADC - $52.92 - Aluminium Dome

                            Thanks and Regards
                            Ani
                            If you are seriously considering the SB26ADC, you should see measurements and analysis by me next week. I can't say much about it until I test it, but the tests here look good: http://www.audiogurman.com/1.htm#sb26adc
                            Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                            Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 3 way driver recommendation needed for SB15CNX30-4 mid

                              Thanks Jason

                              I will definitely look forward to your tests.

                              Regards
                              Ani

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X