Dayton B652-AIR IMPROVED

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dayton B652-AIR IMPROVED

Congrats JRS on your first stab. Looking forward to seeing the results of your future plans for them.

With my 8 inch powered sub, the modded AIR's rivaled my Intimates with the original SS tweeters (~ 1K/pr to build). I've now replaced the SS tweeters with Vifa XT25 Ring Radiator tweeters and definitely got more sparkle.

The AMT thing though has intrigued me. I'm now thinking about getting a pair of Mundorf AMT's. One model is a drop in fit to my SS tweeter holes as the Vifas were. Hmmmmmm...
    Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Thanks. Nice to get my feet wet again with a simple project and extract respectable results with a few hours effort.

Mundorf's? Interesting as they definitely have a following (esp in Europe) but some say overpriced. But drop-in I get!

Beyma's also popular over on DIY: an 1100+ page thread IIRC on an OB build:eek:

Other candidates I am now considering (a sub reinforced 2 way) are the Etons, the PE's AMTPRO4 (just wish it had a little more extension on the top--may still be workable by adding a supertweeter? or just ignoring that top octave as my own hearing is likely sawed off somewhere short of a flyback), and the AC's. Apart from hifiRalph's review of one of the AC's, not much out there except for reviews of the commercial AC loudspeakers using their drivers--people frequently suggest that the QC may not be that good and so dropping 800+/pair for the bigger aerostrictions seems risky to me. But I got time to do the due diligence thanks to the tiny Daytons and the fact I need to replace my plasma flatscreen first. At least they arrested the guy who robbed us. All of the stuff long gone unfortunately.

Comment

The Feb. 2015 issue of Stereophile contains a follow-up review of the Dayton B652-AIR by none other that John Atkinson himself. He does his best to treat it well. The review includes his usual battery of measurements and accompanying text.
        Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Carl is right, I love these things. It's kinda' funny when you spend more on the replacement drivers than the 652's, but what the heck? A half ton of cab stiffening, some polyfill, some outrageous new drivers, cab feet, L-Pads, Phase reversal switches, real crossover, yup, lots of fun. I like some of the Auto offerings for the woofer, many are cheap yet sound pretty darn good in the small enclosure. All the best Mike

Comment

Is this terrible sketch the way you have it laid out Carl? I'm getting ready to do all the mods onto my speakers.

Comment

Working...
            X