Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linehopper: An Esoteric build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

    Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
    Yes, my tweeters did suffer a little bit from this issue. On one driver, the plus & minus terminals were symmetrical with respect to the mounting holes. On the other, however, the negative terminal was fairly
    close to one of the mounting holes. My workaround was to simply move my terminal clearance routing over just a little bit so that the flange mounting hole & gasket did not interfere with the asymmetrical terminal.

    Bill
    "Fairly close" is what worries me. Mine had one almost exactly aligned with a mounting hole. If yours and mine do not have an identical issue with this then it means my fears are correct, it's a random placement. That means it's not a matter of just rotating the face plate 120 deg. It also means you could never mass produce a speaker with these since the baffle would need to be custom cut for each tweeter. Hopefully they will get this under control for the next batch.

    How is it otherwise? The impedance curve implies its a ported design with the double peak. I'm pretty sure that's a flaw too and not a feature. I'm beginning to wonder if these are worth worrying about the mounting issue. SB Acoustics and others make Ring Radiators so maybe one of those will be a better option.

    mk

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

      Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      May I propose a pair of dowel rod joiners to run from the foot to the bottom of the 'cab' to brace/stiffen the ankle joint? These may very well be 'springy' at least a bit in finale without it.

      Later,
      Wolf
      Thanks for the tip, Wolf. I will add an internal brace to
      strengthen the knee joint to stiffen this up. Or are you
      suggesting external dowel rods?

      I have two side panels cut and I just tested them for spring
      by pushing down on them against the cement floor. They do bend
      and spring back just a little. Not too bad, though.


      Bill
      SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
      Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
      Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
      Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

        Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
        I love that cabinet design. Can't wait to see how it goes.

        Originally posted by JasonP View Post
        The design is wild and stunning, I can't wait to seem what they look like in the end.




        Thanks for the kind comments & encouragement. It will be a slow process of custom cutting each angle and board to fit the profile.

        Bill
        SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
        Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
        Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
        Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

          Looking really good so far, Bill, and I really enjoyed working on this for you.
          Paul

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

            No doubt a cool design !! I dig it, this will be a fantastic build.
            A mains
            The Ventures
            Open Invit8tions
            RSR
            Sound Troopers
            Acorns
            442
            DGBG's
            The Monuments

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

              Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
              Name: dcibel commented that my speaker looks like its going to
              hop away. I replied that, hopefully, it will not hop away
              before I have a chance to build & measure it. :p
              Hehe, great name. I can assure you, if you crank speakers loud enough on hardwood floor they will learn to walk ;)
              "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
              exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

                Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
                Thanks for the tip, Wolf. I will add an internal brace to
                strengthen the knee joint to stiffen this up. Or are you
                suggesting external dowel rods? Bill
                External. Minimally acoustically problematic.

                Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                *InDIYana event website*

                Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

                My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

                  I'm loving the build so far. Its going to be a unique build for sure. That woofer had good thump to it in its original sealed box so i expect it will be quite nice as a tl.
                  My Build Thread's
                  Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

                    I was following this design on the Esoteric thread. Looks good, though i can't imagine, how you are going to cut out each little piece and make sure the angle is correct so that two angles joints line up. I have given up struggling to set the angle on my el cheapo circular saw!

                    Paul's tapered TL design is really good, and looks compact and on completion would look like a small book shelf on stands...

                    -Ani

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

                      Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                      Looking really good so far, Bill, and I really enjoyed working on this for you.
                      Paul
                      Thanks Paul! I just finished cutting all 4 side profile
                      panels from the template and they are extremely accurate. Using
                      your original drawings, I am able to hold a tolerance of 1/16" or
                      less with respect to your dimensions. This is very good considering
                      that I scaled your drawing up by a factor of 5 in photoshop. My
                      finished speakers should match your alignment quite well.


                      Bill
                      SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
                      Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
                      Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
                      Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

                        You're welcome. I thought scaling up my drawing as you did to make full-scale templates was very inventive. I did my best to make my scaled down drawing accurate but I didn't expect you to be able to use it as you did.
                        Paul

                        Edit: Just had a thought. We both have talked about the stability issue and what you might consider to make it not fall over easily on its face. Granite cutouts from counter-top makers might be worth considering. Granite that's about 1-1/8 or so inches thick weighs about 22 lb/ft2, I believe. I don't know how much a pair of the size you need might cost, especially if the counter-top maker would cut them for you, but that sure would help using them for the bottoms of the cabinets.
                        Paul

                        Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
                        Thanks Paul! I just finished cutting all 4 side profile
                        panels from the template and they are extremely accurate. Using
                        your original drawings, I am able to hold a tolerance of 1/16" or
                        less with respect to your dimensions. This is very good considering
                        that I scaled your drawing up by a factor of 5 in photoshop. My
                        finished speakers should match your alignment quite well.


                        Bill

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

                          Ani, I appreciate your compliment, but the TL design concept is all Bill's, as he showed it in his first post of this thread. What I did was to massage it to make its performance more optimal while maintaining its shape and look.
                          Paul

                          Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                          I was following this design on the Esoteric thread. Looks good, though i can't imagine, how you are going to cut out each little piece and make sure the angle is correct so that two angles joints line up. I have given up struggling to set the angle on my el cheapo circular saw!

                          Paul's tapered TL design is really good, and looks compact and on completion would look like a small book shelf on stands...

                          -Ani

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

                            Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                            Ani, I appreciate your compliment, but the TL design concept is all Bill's, as he showed it in his first post of this thread. What I did was to massage it to make its performance more optimal while maintaining its shape and look.
                            Paul
                            Well, compliments to both of you, Bill and Paul - this one place where form meets function and in a good way....!!!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

                              Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                              No doubt a cool design !! I dig it, this will be a fantastic build.

                              Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                              I'm loving the build so far. Its going to be a unique build for sure. That woofer had good thump to it in its original sealed box so i expect it will be quite nice as a tl.


                              Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                              I was following this design on the Esoteric thread. Looks good, though i can't imagine, how you are going to cut out each little piece and make sure the angle is correct so that two angles joints line up. I have given up struggling to set the angle on my el cheapo circular saw!

                              Paul's tapered TL design is really good, and looks compact and on completion would look like a small book shelf on stands...

                              -Ani


                              Thanks for the positive feedback. I have completed all 4 side profiles
                              and am now ready to make a special fixture to clamp the side profiles into
                              perfect alignment.

                              Bill
                              SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
                              Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
                              Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
                              Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Linehopper: An Esoteric build

                                Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                                Hehe, great name. I can assure you, if you crank speakers loud enough on hardwood floor they will learn to walk ;)
                                Walking is OK because then I can catch them and bring them
                                back. ;)
                                SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
                                Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
                                Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
                                Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X