OT: Power Outages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Power Outages

Ordinarily I prefer to stick to audio related topics on this forum, but, given we're in yet another extended Downeast power outage, I'm curious about the frequency and duration of outages people in other parts of the US experience.

I'll appreciate anecdotal as well as factual information describing best and worst case examples.

Thanks, tna

Re: OT: Power Outages

Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
    Ordinarily I prefer to stick to audio related topics on this forum, but, given we're in yet another extended Downeast power outage, I'm curious about the frequency and duration of outages people in other parts of the US experience.

I'll appreciate anecdotal as well as factual information describing best and worst case examples.

Thanks, tna
    Here in central Indiana I only lose power if we have bad storm, or a squirrel gets into a transformer:eek:. Both a pretty uncommon around here. I haven't lost power for anything since Spring.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Thanks,
      Are you near Vincennes? My father did instrumentation there in the mid 80s. He thinks well of the area.

We have short squirrel outages too, but the weather related failures can be a week or so.

Comment

OT: Power Outages

I live in NC and work for Duke Energy. The only widespread outtages we have are weather related. Then there is the occasional squirrel or snake caused outtages, and fallen trees/limbs. And rarely some of our wires will corrode at connections that need to be replaced, but those are isolated. I cannot speak for all companys, but we are all hands on deck and around the clock when it comes to storm duty for outages.

Comment

Out here in the hinterlands of central Arkansas, anything that takes down tree limbs causes 6-12hr outages. At least a couple of times a year.

Bob

Comment

We live in Denver. When we first moved here our local power line down the alley would go down with ice storms, but that has been rectified. One area went out due to a fire in the distribution center. But usually no widespread major power outages associated with severe weather. (crosses fingers)

Comment

Thanks,
              Are you near Vincennes? My father did instrumentation there in the mid 80s. He thinks well of the area.

We have short squirrel outages too, but the weather related failures can be a week or so.
              No, Vincennes is a few hours south west of me. A typical storm outage will be 2 - 6 hours, that's once or twice a year, I'm guessing. We've had ice storms where we lost power for two or three days, but that's a once in a decade thing for that length of time. I don't ever recall anything approaching a week.
              Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Thanks, tna

A couple of notable ice storms that caused major power outages in the Northeast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decembe...York_ice_storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._storm_of_1998

There is also this... a good reason to have adequate backup, especially in cold climate.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-att/?page=all
                "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

I think it was during the 98 ice storm that JRT linked to that we lost power for about 3 weeks.

Since we're on well water having a generator is almost a necessity. I typically need to use it 2-3 times each year, mosty in the winter.

I have friends in Bethesda Md ,near D.C., a few years ago they (the dc area) were losing power so often with delays that the local power company caught a lot of grief.

From what I can tell, at one time power companies around here had many more power company linemen for maint. and repair, but at some point the power companies decided to outsource many of those jobs to line maintenance companies that cover a wider area.

The long delays for repair happen when a major storm happens and those maint. companies get spread thin, or repairs get contracted to the first utility which contract their services, the other utilities (areas) then have to wait their turn.

Comment

On the upside, it's become a bit of a family ritual to play Risk during power outages.

Comment

Spent 30 years in Southern NH. Several outages each winter.

Been in North Texas since 2007. No power outages.
                      I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                      OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                      Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                      Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                      Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                      LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Thanks, tna
                        I've only lived in two areas that have had prolonged outages of more than like a day. One was in upstate NY. There was a bad ice storm the year I was there and there were some people without power for about a week with the temperatures in the teens the whole time. The second is where I'm at now. The first summer some storms knocked out power for about 5-7 days in some of the areas. It was easy to tell when the power was fixed, because the stop lights would be out until the power came back on. This has happened here about 4 times during the summer and once in the winter since I have lived here. I don't know what the problem with the lines are here.
                        -Kerry

Comment

In my neighborhood we have small outages lasting only a few seconds numerous times a year but almost always during a big storm we lose power for hours about 3 times a year. Sure is annoying.

Comment

Here's a good plan for power outages......

1. Buy generator.
                            2. Put in sub panel and all electrical work to use generator.
                            3. No power outages!!!!

Seriously. Since buying and installing my generator, we went from an average of two to three outages to zero.
                            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Sympathies...I have a nephew studying in Orono ME. He reports 18 inches on the ground. Welcome Winter!

Comment

Working...
                              X