X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marvin
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Oct 2005

Ultimate bang for your buck

If I can believe this report, maybe I should abandon my ultimate DIY design search and settle for Hsu HB1 Mk2 with a good sub! I have only seen good reviews so far.
    At the show, I had the opportunity to compare the sound of a Hsu-based speaker system to pricey systems from a number of other brands; it was an ear-opening experience and a reality check.

I'm sure I would miss the satisfaction of building my own, but for the price I can use Dr. Hsu's drivers and xovers and put them in my own cabinets and still have a fine budget priced speaker.

Has anyone heard the Hsu HB1 Mk2? Opinions?

Marv
  • doctormorbius
    • Dec 2005

Re: Ultimate bang for your buck

I have not, but the Hsu ULS-15 sub looks very impressive for the price. The driver is ginormous! :eek:

Last edited by doctormorbius; 11-08-2014, 10:17 PM.
    1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
    2: Computer > Schiit

Comment

• Ron_E
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Oct 2009

Sounds like a good buy and I like a designer who demos with basic gear and zip cord speaker cables. Here's a review with some measurements. http://stereomojo.com/HSU%20HB1%20Mk...akerReview.htm

Ron
      C-Note Iron Driver Build
      The Cherry π's

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
        Obsessed & Proud of It
        • Nov 2006

As good as the Hsu are compared to other manufactured speakers there's no reason to think that you can't beat them for the same or less $$ DIY.
        the Hsu ULS-15 sub looks very impressive for the price. The driver is ginormous!
        No more so than the Titanic 15 or Ultimax 15 or any of a dozen other drivers using that same frame. Any of the PE kits using those drivers can be expected to work just as well as, if not better than, the ULS-15.
        Last edited by billfitzmaurice; 11-09-2014, 09:25 AM.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• r-carpenter
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Aug 2008

They are quite good for the price. If you are just a consumer, looking to buy a small pair of bookshelves, it's a very good deal.
          As far as DIY goes, shame on you. Get of you arse and build a better speaker. :D
          http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

• marvin
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by r-carpenter
            They are quite good for the price. If you are just a consumer, looking to buy a small pair of bookshelves, it's a very good deal.
            As far as DIY goes, shame on you. Get of you arse and build a better speaker. :D
            LOL! I'm a builder but not a designer. So which one do you recommend I build?

Comment

• marvin
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Oct 2005

BTW, how does he manage 92db efficiency in a small 2way? Is it simply because he isn't trying to include anything below 60 hz?

Comment

• dcibel
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by marvin
                BTW, how does he manage 92db efficiency in a small 2way? Is it simply because he isn't trying to include anything below 60 hz?
                Same way every other manufacturer does - by lying. Remove all baffle step and report the highest peak in the response curve.
                I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

• Wolf
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by marvin
                  LOL! I'm a builder but not a designer. So which one do you recommend I build?
                  Ya know, Marv- what is it you're looking for- EXACTLY. Seems like you've listened to a lot and haven't really settled on one you like since your in-walls.
                  I know you like the DM Phils, but I'm curious what you are looking for and what it is you want so maybe we can help narrow that down for you.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• ---k---
                    • Oct 2007

Several years back, I had a pair of SVS, Paradigm Studio 40, Ascend, and DynAudio speakers in my room to compare to CJD's RS150 MTM. They all sounded great in isolation. I could enjoy them all. When I had my Khans packed up for Iowa, I had my old Paradigm Titans temporary in their place, relaxed and did some enjoyment listening, and was starting to question why I upgraded. But get them side by side and you remember. When you really start to critically listen, the good DIY designs pull ahead. Way ahead.

The problem is most people aren't really interested in the finer details of audio. They can be happy with most speakers. Tonal balance, bass, and loudness is all their listening for. I'm probably someone where in between. Then there are a few on this board that are really into the details and can actually tell a difference.

It only costs probably $60 in shipping to try a pair of HSU out. Go for it.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                    CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

• kanemack
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jun 2013

I agree with ---k---. I have had as many as 10 pair in my space to compare. I liked them all for different reasons. When I really think about it, there is only one pair I will go to for every day. Until the next one comes along. The other option for you is since you live in a heavily speaker nerd populated area, find a speaker you're interested in and ask if anyone can demo it for you. In most cases, you won't even have to bring beer. But it helps;)

Comment

• marvin
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Wolf
                        Ya know, Marv- what is it you're looking for- EXACTLY. Seems like you've listened to a lot and haven't really settled on one you like since your in-walls.
                        I know you like the DM Phils, but I'm curious what you are looking for and what it is you want so maybe we can help narrow that down for you.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        My interest in the Phils is based mostly on others reviews, I have not lived with them--only heard them once when something was wrong with an internal connection. I tend to respect voicing by Dennis or CJD, who have real exposure to how instruments sound since they played with orchestras. But last time I compared Matt's ER-18s to the others at the Meniscus GTG, I don't think I will settle for those.

My problem is my ears are not as discerning as yours--I cannot listen at a DIY gathering and say this one is the best one of the group. I am more like ---k---....only when I A-B compare can I recognize which I prefer. As a result, I like to get recommendations from those I trust with more trained ears.

I am looking for a modest size tower (more stable than Modula's on a stand), reasonably efficient, would like to try a 3way, but won't rule out a good 2way, full range capable w/o a sub. I do have a sub available for movies. Prefer not to go MTM--that makes the tower taller than I want.

I listen primarily to 2 channel music, but would like to have good dynamics for the occasional movie viewing (5.1).

The Hsus are appealing because most judge them to be neutral, dynamic, and of course, very reasonably priced.

Appreciate all recommendations.

Marv

Comment

• marvin
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by kanemack
                          I agree with ---k---. I have had as many as 10 pair in my space to compare. I liked them all for different reasons. When I really think about it, there is only one pair I will go to for every day. Until the next one comes along. The other option for you is since you live in a heavily speaker nerd populated area, find a speaker you're interested in and ask if anyone can demo it for you. In most cases, you won't even have to bring beer. But it helps;)
                          :D:D

Which is your favorite for every day?

Comment

• Tin_Ears
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by doctormorbius
                            I have not, but the Hsu ULS-15 sub looks very impressive for the price. The driver is ginormous! :eek:

That "looks" nearly identical to the old Ascendant Audio Avalanche drivers.
                            "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

• ---k---
                              • Oct 2007

Build the boxes, buy the drivers, and then bribe CJD into doing crossovers for you. Usually it just has to be something that peaks his interest. And, you just have to be patient.
                              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                              CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Working...