Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music for an eat-in kitchen

Hi folks,

I've wondered about this for many days and thought I'd poll the experts here. We have an eat-in kitchen and we spend a lot of time there. I have had a Cambridge Soundworks table radio (with its iPod dock) for some time. Also setup an iLive under-the-cabinet unit for Bluetooth. Both these have few pluses and lots of minuses when it comes to the sound quality.

So here is the question : What do you folks do for good sound in an eat-in kitchen?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Music for an eat-in kitchen

I use one of the boomboxes I sell (Harvey Sr.) placed on the counter-top. Other options would be in wall or in ceiling speakers, or possibly bookshelf speakers if you have places for them. Sometimes you can put speakers in or on the space above the cabinets.
    Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

A pair of Overnight Sensations (PE's kit $120 maybe? - haven't looked in a while, as it's not my design ;-) and a $20 Lepai 2020 amp should sound pretty wonderful.

Comment

The Melby Audio Harvey Sr., does look quite interesting. Thanks.

Thanks Chris. Your suggestion is indeed a good one especially if the amp can be mounted somewhere inconspicuous.

But judging from the response to this thread, looks like not many people have systems for the kitchen...

Comment

I'm using an older Teac mini-bookshelf system up on top of a china cabinet and a small garage sale RCA (Radio Shack?) powered subwoofer with the port blocked. Not really a clean install, but functional. My biggest problem is the fm antenna.
          There's a good chance I don't know what I'm talking about.

Comment

My kitchen is next to the Family room with a 5.1 system, a few clicks to 5 channel stereo and the volume and we’re good.
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I have a pair of Wolf's PC speakers paired with a RSS210HF-4 sub (Paul Carmody's "Burro") destined for my kitchen. Power is from a Lepai 2020 and Dayton SA70. Speakers will be wall mounted just above TV, angled down towards the island (I'm still working on the mounting brackets). I can tell you that the setup sounds great in my workshop

Comment

I have the perfect solution...

Click image for larger version

Name:	10712496_984284204918526_5194188103004650302_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1162080
                "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

We spend a fair amount of time in the kitchen.
                  Here is my solution:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415836545.297929.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	1162089
                  The amp and AirPort express are in the coat closet. Music selection and volume controlled by our phones/iPad.
                  Salem

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51673[/ATTACH]
                    I would so do that...speakers I mean.

Comment

Thanks guys. Especially for the "perfect solution"

Im now thinking of something like a OS or Helium or Mariposas for the kithen counter driven by a Lepai and an old iPhone.

Given how few replies to my query, me thinks everyone else on this forum is asked to "stay the hell out of the kitchen with your music" :-)

Comment

Music for an eat-in kitchen

I'm using two of these:
                        http://www.parts-express.com/tectoni...-ohm--297-2156
                        as very small but good sounding speakers in our kitchen/breakfast area. Wall mounted with wire through the wall to the main amp closet.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51673[/ATTACH]
                          "hey hun, can you pull the kitchen-aid outta the cabinet, we're losing a little too much bottom end"

Comment

Originally posted by flyfishingnitin View Post
                            Im now thinking of something like a OS or Helium or Mariposas for the kithen counter driven by a Lepai and an old iPhone.
                            If you have the space for OS enclosures, and don't mind spending a little bit more, I would suggest the Lithium. The Lithium uses the ND-105 so you would get good extension in a compact enclosure. I use the Aura NS3 in Paul's sprite for my garage and absolutely love the bass (powered by the Lepai). It always receives compliments. If that's a bit overkill then the Helium's look pretty good in about the same size enclosure as the Mariposa's. I've been eyeballing them since they were posted.

I actually use the Mariposa's daily at work and think they're great for nearfield. Tyger did a great job, and for $50, why not? They lack the low end though that I would want in other applications.

Comment

Wife likes to listen to the music channels on the kitchen TV with AT&T uverse.
                              She is ok with the TV speakers.
                              Someday I will get her some better speakers, maybe some Minions.

Comment

Working...
                              X