Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Making a car look like new. (The other passion).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Making a car look like new. (The other passion).

Finished the paint correction this weekend. Looks like a new car finish on this 15-year-old car. Used a Harbor Freight DA polisher and Meguiar's Microfiber Correction System. Really works slick to remove scratches and swirls. Wheels and tires next.

Re: OT: Making a car look like new. (The other passion).

Meguiars and a DA does wonders to a car finish. I bought a 4 year old Miata a couple of months ago. Its previous owner mistreated the poor thing to no end - at 20,000 miles the paint looked finished. Some light bodywork, Meguiar's polishing compound, clay, paint decontaminant, polish and Black Wax did wonders. A final coat of Carlack 68 made the car look even better than brand new.

I can't believe people not taking care of their cars! They are such a big investment...
    Line Array: IDS-25 Clone, FE-83.
    2-2.5 Way:
    Zaph Audio's winning entry: ZA5+SB29. - Microliths: RS125+RS28. - Small Bangs: TB W4-1658SB+SEAS 27TBFC/G. - Monoliths: Peerless 830884+SEAS 27TBFC/G.
    3-3.5 Way:Miniliths: SEAS P21/CA21REX+Neo8 PDR+Neo3 PDR. - Megaliths: 2xDayton RS270+2xT-B W4-1337SB+SB29. - ZDT3.5 +: 2xDayton RS180+Dayton RS52+Vifa DQ25. Reflexos: OB 4xDayton RS150 + Neo3 PDR.

Comment

LOVE R129 bodies, is that a 500? I'd totally rock one on some '90's Lorinser or Niche wheels.

Comment

You are still missing the one thing every convertible needs... girls in bikinis:D

Comment

Looks great. I agree the Harbor Freight DA w/orange pad and Meguiars Ultimate Compound can do amazing things to an old finish, for very little cash. I didn't care much for Meguiars products until I tried their Ultimate Compound. It cuts like compound should but finishes like a polish.

Comment

Hi Maynard,

That is a beautiful car! Perfect for cruising around Arizona.

Here's a suggestion from an old car dealer. If you want to keep that new appearance, the final step is to wax it with Klasse' Sealant. It's show car wax that I find superior for gloss and durabilty compared to it's competitors. Its made in Germany and only available online as far as I know. It goes on easy but there is a process to follow to get it off. Not bad but a little bit of work. I've used it for several years and found that it easily protects for a full year in Iowas harsh climate. A year after application, water still beads and dirt slides off at the car wash. It's great stuff! I had my own body shop, clean up shop, repair shop etc. when I was in the business and Klasse' is the best product I've found. I think I've tried about everything.

It's available from a lot of places but here's a link to Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...P2JJ4V326QQFP8

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and all is well at home.

Jim

Comment

Boy, does that look good!:D How is your wife doing, Maynard? Hope she's much better.
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                Hi Maynard,

Here's a suggestion from an old car dealer. If you want to keep that new appearance, the final step is to wax it with Klasse' Sealant. It's show car wax that I find superior for gloss and durabilty compared to it's competitors. Its made in Germany and only available online as far as I know
                Yeah, Klasse is actually Carlack 68 with another name! Terrific stuff.
                Line Array: IDS-25 Clone, FE-83.
                2-2.5 Way:
                Zaph Audio's winning entry: ZA5+SB29. - Microliths: RS125+RS28. - Small Bangs: TB W4-1658SB+SEAS 27TBFC/G. - Monoliths: Peerless 830884+SEAS 27TBFC/G.
                3-3.5 Way:Miniliths: SEAS P21/CA21REX+Neo8 PDR+Neo3 PDR. - Megaliths: 2xDayton RS270+2xT-B W4-1337SB+SB29. - ZDT3.5 +: 2xDayton RS180+Dayton RS52+Vifa DQ25. Reflexos: OB 4xDayton RS150 + Neo3 PDR.

Comment

Originally posted by ecj View Post
                  ...until I tried their Ultimate Compound. It cuts like compound should but finishes like a polish.
                  +4000

I grew up watching my dad paint show cars on the weekends, and am familiar with the various "make it shiny" methods. IMHO the Ultimate Compound beats up on anything the "professional" stuff can do.

Also like their carnauba wax
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Gotta love the info, you find on this forum!!!

Comment

BTW, the Harbor Freight DA was pretty noisy, so I packed it full of Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease. Quieted it right down. Really good for the money.

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                      Hi Maynard,

Here's a suggestion from an old car dealer. If you want to keep that new appearance, the final step is to wax it with Klasse' Sealant. It's show car wax that I find superior for gloss and durabilty compared to it's competitors. Its made in Germany and only available online as far as I know. It goes on easy but there is a process to follow to get it off. Not bad but a little bit of work. I've used it for several years and found that it easily protects for a full year in Iowas harsh climate. A year after application, water still beads and dirt slides off at the car wash. It's great stuff! I had my own body shop, clean up shop, repair shop etc. when I was in the business and Klasse' is the best product I've found. I think I've tried about everything.

It's available from a lot of places but here's a link to Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...P2JJ4V326QQFP8

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and all is well at home.

Jim
                      Thanks Jim. I'll give it some thought. In the spring we are participating in a European car tour around AZ. I'd planned to use Poorboys Black Hole as a glaze for that event. Short-lived, but the finish looks sol liquid - amazing really. But I'll look into Klasse as well.

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                      +4000

I grew up watching my dad paint show cars on the weekends, and am familiar with the various "make it shiny" methods. IMHO the Ultimate Compound beats up on anything the "professional" stuff can do.

Also like their carnauba wax
                      The Meguiar's MF system is two step with a correction compound followed by finishing wax. The compound is supposed to be just a bit less aggressive than Ultimate. Worked very well for me. The finishing wax is supposed to have just a tiny bit of cleaning effect. Also worked well. All came in a kit with the backing plate and multiple pads for a good price.

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                      Boy, does that look good!:D How is your wife doing, Maynard? Hope she's much better.
                      Paul
                      MJ is doing very, very well. I am so pleased to have her home So are the dogs! I think they had given up on her return. There was much puppy rejoicing.

Comment

"MJ is doing very, very well. I am so pleased to have her home So are the dogs! I think they had given up on her return. There was much puppy rejoicing."

That's great, Maynard, I'm very happy for you and MJ. It's easy to understand and visualize how happy your dogs were to have their "mom" home again. Did she get home in time to enjoy a nice Thanksgiving? Depending on how long she's been home, I bet the dogs aren't too keen about letting her out of their sight very long.
                        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          "MJ is doing very, very well. I am so pleased to have her home So are the dogs! I think they had given up on her return. There was much puppy rejoicing."

That's great, Maynard, I'm very happy for you and MJ. It's easy to understand and visualize how happy your dogs were to have their "mom" home again. Did she get home in time to enjoy a nice Thanksgiving? Depending on how long she's been home, I bet the dogs aren't too keen about letting her out of their sight very long.
                          Paul

She was in the hospital for 72 days and has been home a couple of weeks. Yes, the dogs would now MUCH rather sit on the sofa with MJ than with me.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                            She was in the hospital for 72 days and has been home a couple of weeks. Yes, the dogs would now MUCH rather sit on the sofa with MJ than with me.
                            I'm very happy you have your beloved home again. The dogs will let you back next to her eventually....give her my love, if it means anything! [emoji6]

Mark
                            You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Thanks, Paul, Mark. It is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X