Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSU VTF-3 MK3 side firing or down firing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSU VTF-3 MK3 side firing or down firing?

I am thinking of buying a used HSU VTF-3 MK3 subwoofer. The one for sale is down firing, but the reviews and info I am finding online show the MK3 as a side firing sub.

Does anyone have any info about this? Was the VTF-3 MK3 built both ways? Is one superior to the other (is one of these configurations older, then updated with the sub facing a different direction)? I would think if Hsu changed the configuration that much, they would change the MK number. Maybe the seller changed the amplifier or it was replaced under warranty (The amplifier is the part that has the MK3 part number on it).

Also, do you think the HSU sub would be superior to my RSS315HF-4 in a 2cuft sealed enclosure? I have read fabulous things about these VTF-3 subs. My use would be mainly for HT, but also a little bit for music. If I buy the HSU, I will probably make my own Turbo port extenders for extra LF, just to have some fun with it.
    Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Re: HSU VTF-3 MK3 side firing or down firing?

I'm speculating here but I believe if it's a mk3 then it's side firing. So that's either the original or mk2 maybe? Couldn't tell you what changed between the woofer/box/amp.

The HSU is a solid commercial product. Decent box size, actually tuned to around 20hz, driver with enough xmax to work. There's nothing special about them other then compared to regular commercial products it's a beast. Put your RS 12" in a 4 ft3 20hz box and it will do everything the HSU does.

You can get a flat pack for $110

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-...flat-pack.html
    Last edited by Jay1; 12-14-2014, 11:52 AM.
    http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by john trials View Post
      Also, do you think the HSU sub would be superior to my RSS315HF-4 in a 2cuft sealed enclosure? I have read fabulous things about these VTF-3 subs.
      They're very good subs when compared to typical commercial products, especially those found in the big boxes. Compared to most DIY they're pretty average. Compared to a DIY horn loaded sub it's like bringing a knife to a gunfight. :eek:
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

"Tooting" your own horn Bill? Lol j/k it was too much to pass up.:p
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          They're very good subs when compared to typical commercial products, especially those found in the big boxes. Compared to most DIY they're pretty average. Compared to a DIY horn loaded sub it's like bringing a knife to a gunfight. :eek:
          I have your plans for a Tuba HT sub and they have been haunting me. My wife has been REALLY tolerant of my many projects (not all of them are speakers) but I am pretty sure if I built a Tuba, it would have to remain in the basement or garage. Even I think it would be a bit too much (but really cool!). I mainly got the plans out of curiosity. I just love to build things.

Even buying this HSU would be a bit much (I already have two subs)...but the price is almost too good to pass on it.
          Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Originally posted by john trials View Post
            I have your plans for a Tuba HT sub and they have been haunting me. My wife has been REALLY tolerant of my many projects (not all of them are speakers) but I am pretty sure if I built a Tuba, it would have to remain in the basement or garage. Even I think it would be a bit too much (but really cool!). I mainly got the plans out of curiosity. I just love to build things.

Even buying this HSU would be a bit much (I already have two subs)...but the price is almost too good to pass on it.
            You need to go Infinite Baffle if you have an accessible storage area adjacent to your listening area.....at least IB can be inconspicuous.

Comment

+1
              Most people are fixated merely on driver size and extension when it comes to subs and don't consider (or don't understand) the benefits of horn subwoofers: efficiency, lack of distortion and kick-**** dynamics. Subjectively speaking, I'd pick my little 40 Hz tuba 18 over, say, my 25 Hz 15" Dayton 390HO any day. Karlson come close, if you luck out on a suitable $$$ driver.

I guess I'm the only other horn sub fan on this board (and I've built every known sub type over the past 10 years, except isobaric)

Comment

Originally posted by zobsky View Post
                +1
                Most people are fixated merely on driver size and extension when it comes to subs and don't consider (or don't understand) the benefits of horn subwoofers
                +1. Where subs are concerned size does matter, but it's not the size of the driver, it's the size of the enclosure.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

maybe there is a reason there are only 2 of you that are horn fans ??? I am sure it is superior intelligence. or something like that. sick of all the horn tooting. ;)
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I think most people would end up in the dog house if their sub was the size of a small shed. My 7 ft3 subs are tiny compared to most horn loaded subs. There's something different about ULF capability inside of a house where the building feels like it's coming apart in the middle of some crazy action scene. You cant get that without going below 30hz, and you dont need a fridge to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
                      I think most people would end up in the dog house if their sub was the size of a small shed. My 7 ft3 subs are tiny compared to most horn loaded subs. There's something different about ULF capability inside of a house where the building feels like it's coming apart in the middle of some crazy action scene. You cant get that without going below 30hz, and you dont need a fridge to do it.
                      Hi, completely agree wrt the size issue.
                      That said , my table tuba is about 8 cu ft and hits 25 Hz in my room at high SPL with a mere handful of watts using a $30 MCM 8" driver
                      Tapped horns and tapped TQWT can do this in even more compact form factors with low distortion (but not as much efficiency as true horns). For instance, my brother in law is returning my 4 cuft T-TQWT using a 12" admire shiva that I leant him because the infrasonics make him worry about light fixtures downstairs shaking loose. As an aside, that's why I'm building him the 15" Dayton HO DELIBERATELY tuned higher to 25 Hz witha bit of "non audiophile" pseudo-bass bump built in.

My point is that , compromised horns (smaller than the theoretical refrigerator sized eyesore) , still have a lot to offer. Especially since tapped horns became so much easier to design, courtesy of the TH wizards in hornresp.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                        maybe there is a reason there are only 2 of you that are horn fans ??? I am sure it is superior intelligence. or something like that. sick of all the horn tooting. ;)
                        Not sure if you're joking or trying to be sarcastic, so I'm going to keep this short.

1. The majority is not always correct
                        2. Not so sure about superior intelligence, but definitely more open minded .

I'm out of this thread before it devolves into a mud slinging thread .
                        Enjoy your bass reflex / sealed subs

Comment

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
                          I think most people would end up in the dog house if their sub was the size of a small shed. My 7 ft3 subs are tiny compared to most horn loaded subs. .
                          Mine is 7.8 cu ft.
                          www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by zobsky View Post
                            ...Subjectively speaking, I'd pick my little 40 Hz tuba 18 over, say, my 25 Hz 15" Dayton 390HO any day. ...
                            I also built a T18 and it was not better than the 15" sub I was already using.
                            So it goes...
                            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Mine is 7.8 cu ft.
                              Mine's tuned to 17hz

Comment

Working...
                              X