How many hours a day do you listen to music?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JRS
    Midrange Member
    • Dec 2012

How many hours a day do you listen to music?

I'm finding myself on the edge or even in the cold, dark heart of obsession about audio--likely spending 2 or more hours a day here, and many more hours when I can at various websites devouring information, asking questions, seeing what others have done....

Now here's the hard part--to what end? Make no bones about it, I love audio and have been engaged in the dance for 40 years+. But honestly, do I rush home and turn it on? Rarely. my wife and I converse, do dinner, and play games or watch TV. Now the weekends are a bit different--in fact we have had some knock down drag outs over how late I listen and at what volumes--she tends to retire by 10p. (I am always amused by the WAF factor applying only to cosmetics, when in fact it often has more far reaching impact on the above).

But the pleasure of really good reproduced music seems so well worth it--and granted once I get locked in I spend far less time worrying about it.

It does strike me as almost irrational, however, that I (we) devote so much time thinking/debating about it. For the record in the current abode 1 TV, 1 stereo.
  • Wolf
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Sep 2005

Re: How many hours a day do you listen to music?

At home- depends on whether it's OTA TV, Movies, or music. All feed through, so it's always on in some way shape or form while awake.

At work- the Pandora streams, so I listen to music there too for the 8.5+ hours I'm there.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• isaeagle4031
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Jun 2008

Music listening maybe an hour or so a day. Obsessing over builds. Um, er, uh no comments :rolleyes: Currently my listening is in a state of flux. Too many projects sitting in the way, literally.
      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

• Paul K.
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Sep 2005

We always listen to music on my main system during breakfast, lunch and dinner, but it's just background. I will sit down and listen seriously in the evening for the length of one symphony or a couple of shorter pieces, but not every day depending on what might be on TV in sports I want to watch starting in the 7 to 8 PM time frame.
        Paul

Comment

• Sydney
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by JRS
          ...But honestly, do I rush home and turn it on? Rarely. ...
          Neither do i.
          In the car - mp3's usually playing.
          At home - infrequently; Often going days without turning on the sound system.
          A change in the hardware prompts a listening burst(frenzy?).
          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

• mattsk8
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Sep 2011

JRS, I'm the same, irrational is a great way to explain it. I'll probably spend countless hours building my 3 way to replace my music speakers in my pool area, which I honestly haven't listened to that system now for about a month. My shop system gets played a LOT, and that's probably where I should invest my time and money on music speakers. In all honesty, I'll bet my wife listens to music a lot more than I do and I think she couldn't care less what's playing the music.

I do have a half hour+ drive to work everyday and I listen to music on the way, so investing in a car system wouldn't exactly be a waist of time. I'm also in front of my computer at work a lot, so I intend to build a decent office system.
            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

• manu et deo
              • Apr 2012

At work, Pandora thru my Dewalt radio-charger( trying to figure out how to mod it so I can get better drivers in it and still have the charger) 8-12 hrs a day. No work or at home there is a stereo on from sun up to sun down some where in the house all hooked up to my server on shuffle. Only exception is Sunday during football season when TV is on for moment we get home from church till bedtime after last game. My wife who works at home has her system on all day but at low volume in case she get a call(I think that's why this hobby get a little more leeway than the cars or video gaming do).

Comment

• SPLEclipse
                Been Around Awhile
                • Dec 2012

It varies based on my work schedule, but I'd estimate an average of 12 hours a day. That's not critical listening, but I always have music on when I'm at home.

Comment

• rhubarb9999
                  • Apr 2009

not enough :(

Comment

• Squidspeak
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Mar 2012

As far as critical listening not enough but I listen to FM radio everyday on the jobsite, if I am in my shop I can listen to radio or CD's

Comment

• JRS
                      Midrange Member
                      • Dec 2012

Ok, feeling better now. Although maybe not the best place to get a "reality check" :D seems I'm not so different than many of you. Thanks for the reassurance...

Comment

• Silver1omo
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Nov 2010

Almost all the time at work I use headphones.
                        At home, the AVR is almost always on, be it FM or music from the server.
                        My Statement monitors
                        My Piccolatas
                        My LM3886 amp

Comment

• williamrschneider
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • May 2007

I listen at least one disc per night, often more. Those are dedicated listening sessions.

Oddly, when I'm working in the wood shop, I never have anything playing. I find it distracting when working.
                          Bill Schneider
                          -+-+-+-+-
                          www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• eyekode
                            • Jun 2008

All day at work (pandora) and most weekends I casually listen too.
                            And maybe 2 times a month I seriously listen.

Comment

• PWR RYD
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Dec 2009

At my previous two jobs I listened to music almost 8 hours a day every day because I had a private office and could close my door. I have a shared office now and I dislike headphones... so nada at work. At home I dont listen nearly as much as I would like to due to kids and other responsibilities. But when I can escape to my basement work bench at night or weekends to work on an amp project I love to listen to music. Thats why Im constantly building amps I guess :applause:
                              Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Working...