Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

Thanks Jeff.

The rounded half baffle look was something I had experimented with a couple years ago and thought they would give the Solstice a unique appearance versus other speaker kits out there. I'm glad you liked the look so it could be implemented in this speaker.

Comment

Dang Jeff, you don't have to keep proving you know what your doing! ;) All joking aside, I agree it's nice to see an affordable option with those sweet Morel units!! Nice job, man!
      A mains
      The Ventures
      Open Invit8tions
      RSR
      Sound Troopers
      Acorns
      DGBG's
      The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by cacophonix
        Nice! There is almost $750 worth of drivers in them!
        If you buy 2 of them, yes....

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

In looking at the sensitivity listed by PE for this kit, it's 89 dB for 1w/1m. Since this is a 2-way, the woofers are wired in parallel presumably for a nominal 4-ohm impedance, which implies the sensitivity would be 92 dB for 2.83v/1m. In PE's catalog these woofer's are listed at 87 dB for 2.83v/1m, meaning a paralleled pair would be 93 dB for 2.83v/1m before BSC is applied. Unless my mathematical assumptions or calculations are wrong, or something is listed incorrectly in PE's catalog for the woofers or at the linked kit page, it would appear there's only 1 dB of BSC. Obviously that can't be correct, unless Santa gave you some magic for Xmas that allowed you to ignore the laws of physics and acoustics!
          Paul

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
          Well, that resonance is there, so we might as well put it to work for us. It was from listening to your implementations that made me decide to do this. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
            In looking at the sensitivity listed by PE for this kit, it's 89 dB for 1w/1m. Since this is a 2-way, the woofers are wired in parallel presumably for a nominal 4-ohm impedance, which implies the sensitivity would be 92 dB for 2.83v/1m. In PE's catalog these woofer's are listed at 87 dB for 2.83v/1m, meaning a paralleled pair would be 93 dB for 2.83v/1m before BSC is applied. Unless my mathematical assumptions or calculations are wrong, or something is listed incorrectly in PE's catalog for the woofers or at the linked kit page, it would appear there's only 1 dB of BSC. Obviously that can't be correct, unless Santa gave you some magic for Xmas that allowed you to ignore the laws of physics and acoustics!
            Paul
            Not sure where that came from, but it didn't come from me. I supplied a sensitivity rating of 87 dB/2.83v for the system. I would never rate anything at 1W/M anyway.
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

The price on that kit is really good too. Just price out a pair of the woofers at the normal price or from somewhere else and then factor in that you are getting a tweeter, cabinet, crossover, and other parts too. Parts Express was pretty aggressive on the pricing. Kudos to them.
              Its a killer price its $800 just in woofers. Your getting the crossover and cabs for free basically.
              My Build Thread's
              Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                Its a killer price its $800 just in woofers. Your getting the crossover and cabs for free basically.
                Originally posted by cacophonix
                Nice! There is almost $750 worth of drivers in them!
                $712 worth of drivers leaving $284 for cabinets, crossovers, stuffing and shipping.
                1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Originally posted by doctormorbius View Post
                  $712 worth of drivers leaving $284 for cabinets, crossovers, stuffing and shipping.
                  Are you guys getting special pricing or forgetting to include the tweeters? I'm seeing closer to $900 for just the drivers. What am I missing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers price.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1163018
                  People hear with their eyes.

Comment

I think you might want to revisit your math. The drivers for a pair comes to $869 with the current 20% off Morel sale. Otherwise when the sale ends the drivers themselves will total $1086 for drivers alone. I don't expect them to stay at 20% off for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by DanHine View Post
                      Are you guys getting special pricing or forgetting to include the tweeters? I'm seeing closer to $900 for just the drivers. What am I missing?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53026[/ATTACH]
                      Morel has these sales once or twice a year.

Morel TiW 638Nd: $147.44 x 4 = $589.76

http://www.parts-express.com/morel-t...8-ohm--297-103

Morel Cat308: $61.12 x 2 = 122.24

http://www.parts-express.com/morel-c...eeter--277-082

$589.76 + $122.24 = $712.00 Cost of drivers with 20% off sale & free shipping

EDIT: It appears there are inconsistencies in the description of the kit. In one place they state the woofer is a Morel TiW 638Nd and in another they state the woofer is a Morel TiCW 638Nd. The math above is correct for the drivers in the body of text under Highlights.

Highlights

Mass Loaded Transmission Line enclosure extends low frequency response to 30Hz
                      Designed and fine-tuned by expert designer Jeff Bagby
                      A true no compromise design with 2 Morel TiW 638Nd woofers and Morel Cat 308 tweeter
                      CNC cut cabinet panels make the enclosure easy to assemble with minimal tools
                      Drivers are time and phase aligned which allows for an exceptionally flat frequency response
                      MDF enclosure with extensive bracing and double thick front baffle to reduce cabinet resonances
                      1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                      2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Originally posted by DanHine View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53026[/ATTACH]
                        Keep in mind, through the end of December all Morel drivers are 20% off (which doesn't happen very often)...

So, the kit actually costs less than just the price of the drivers used ($543 for just the 2 woofers and 1 tweeter).... Really a great deal!

Comment

Morel has these sales once or twice a year.

Morel TiW 638Nd: $147.44 x 4 = $589.76

http://www.parts-express.com/morel-t...8-ohm--297-103

Morel Cat308: $61.12 x 2 = 122.24

http://www.parts-express.com/morel-c...eeter--277-082

$589.76 + $122.24 = $712.00 Cost of drivers with 20% off sale & free shipping
                          Wrong woofer, Dr. This is the correct woofer:
                          http://www.parts-express.com/morel-t...8-ohm--297-105

The copper sleeve makes a big difference to me.

Comment

Both look usable to 3 khz based on off axis and without a real breakup. Very nice. I'm guessing the copper keeps rising distortion in check.
                            http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Wrong woofer, Dr. This is the correct woofer:
                              http://www.parts-express.com/morel-t...8-ohm--297-105

The copper sleeve makes a big difference to me.
                              OK, I see that. PE has two different woofer listed in their description. I've already edited my above post.

$869.44 for drivers with 20% off sale using the "C" woofer.

Comment

OK, I see that. PE has two different woofer listed in their description. I've already edited my above post.
                                You'll have to trust me, I know which woofer it is. They just left a "c" out of the body of text, but they were correct in their links. Why are you making such as issue out of this? Can't you accept that Parts Express is making a very special price on the kit?

Comment

Working...
                                X