Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
    Both look usable to 3 khz based on off axis and without a real breakup. Very nice. I'm guessing the copper keeps rising distortion in check.
    The sleeve does make a big difference in the inductance and the distortion. It is a very high-end motor design. The response has more peaking than the provided graphs indicated, I'm afraid. It was easily handled in the crossover though.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
      The sleeve does make a big difference in the inductance and the distortion. It is a very high-end motor design. The response has more peaking than the provided graphs indicated, I'm afraid. It was easily handled in the crossover though.
      Jeff, shhh. You are going to further strain my bank account. These drivers are already on my short list to work with :D
      Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
      Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

You'll have to trust me, I know which woofer it is. They just left a "c" out of the body of text, but they were correct in their links. Why are you making such as issue out of this? Can't you accept that Parts Express is making a very special price on the kit?
        I didn't use the links at the bottom of the page. I entered the incorrect woofer description into PE's search. When I saw a discrepancy in the dollar value in a couple of earlier posts I noticed the math didn't add up. My intention was to state the correct value of the drivers. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that PE had an omission on their driver description.

Please, don't take this personally. I'm not trying to belittle the kit.
        1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
        2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
          Jeff, shhh. You are going to further strain my bank account. These drivers are already on my short list to work with :D
          Jason, you don't even have to "work with them"..... I've already done all the work. ;)

Comment

I did a quicky ML-TL for your design using Morel's small-signal T/S values. Based on PE's listed external cabinet dimensions and descriptions of the Soltice, the cabinet I modeled had internal dimensions of 7.25"W x 8.75"D x 36.5"H. The modeled sensitivity for a paralleled pair of the woofers was a smidgen under 95 dB SPL for 2.83v/1m (without any resistance added in series). which implies a woofer sensitivity of 89 dB for 2.83v/1m, 2 dB higher than specified. Substituting the large-signal T/S values Morel lists dropped the sensitivity by about 1 dB for the paralleled pair. In any event, you stating a sensitivity of 87 dB for 2.83v/1m sounds much more realistic.
            Paul

Not sure where that came from, but it didn't come from me. I supplied a sensitivity rating of 87 dB/2.83v for the system. I would never rate anything at 1W/M anyway.

Comment

How about that thermal capacity with 2 3" voice coils with Titanium formers!

Surprised that PE didn't have something like this done with their Esoteric 7"
              which should perform well based on this:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ot-woofer-ever

I get that this is an all Morel design.

Comment

Jeff, thank you very much and also to Erich for this. I really wanted to do another build for my spare room in my new home, since my Statement Monitors are residing in the living room. My physical abilities to build from scratch now are gone, and I was thinking a kit with flat-pack cabinets like this would be something I might be able to accomplish with a little help. I wanted a higher-end design, something w/o stands and here this design is! I've sold my home out in the sticks, so I wanted to treat myself for all that I have endured the past few years, as a reward. My new place does not have the nice 800 ft2 shop that I used to enjoy, and no room here for my table saw, router stuff, radial-head drill press and my lovely homemade work table. This is a perfect option for me. Guess I'd better get on it! Thanks again for Erich and your efforts.

John A.
                "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                Pioneer TX-9500 II
                Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                Statement Monitors
                Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Jeff, would the Solstice be comparable to say....a Continuum, Karios or Triton with a small sub? (I know this is a BIG BROAD question)!

I guess I am trying to see if I build the Continuum with a sub or would I be getting as good of bass with this great new design.

Thanks,

Robert
                  -Robert

Comment

Originally posted by woodsart View Post
                    Jeff, would the Solstice be comparable to say....a Continuum, Karios or Triton with a small sub? (I know this is a BIG BROAD question)!

I guess I am trying to see if I build the Continuum with a sub or would I be getting as good of bass with this great new design.

Thanks,

Robert
                    It really depends on what someone is after. True subwoofers usually have more output capability in the deep bass than you may get from a pair of 6" woofers. However, if you don't need high SPL's and if getting into the mid- upper 20's in your room with music at moderated levels is all someone needs then the Solstice should make them very happy. It certainly has more extension than my Kairos or Tritons have, and the footprint is about the same as small speaker on stand. With midbass and vocal reproduction that is every bit as good as the Kairos but with deeper bass, this was a very nice speaker.

Comment

Thanks, Jeff!

Edit: The flyer is out and the specs are out! And, for my little knowledge of graphs, these speakers look wonderful.

TWO PAGES....NICE WRITE UP JEFF!!!

And, I do have the WAF acceptance...even though she has not seen the size! (:

It really depends on what someone is after. True subwoofers usually have more output capability in the deep bass than you may get from a pair of 6" woofers. However, if you don't need high SPL's and if getting into the mid- upper 20's in your room with music at moderated levels is all someone needs then the Solstice should make them very happy. It certainly has more extension than my Kairos or Tritons have, and the footprint is about the same as small speaker on stand. With midbass and vocal reproduction that is every bit as good as the Kairos but with deeper bass, this was a very nice speaker.
                      Last edited by woodsart; 12-30-2014, 05:06 PM.
                      -Robert

Comment

Here it is for those who want a link....

https://www.parts-express.com/salesflyer/index.html
                        -Robert

Comment

Originally posted by woodsart View Post
                          Here it is for those who want a link....

https://www.parts-express.com/salesflyer/index.html
                          Thank you, Robert. I had not seen the final spread until now. Looks pretty nice. Here's a response curve that they didn't show. It's a measured frequency response on the tweeter axis calibrated to 2.83V at 1 Meter with the summed Nearfield bass response spliced at 150 Hz for what would be a full-range Quasi-anechoic frequency response. I used 1/48th oct smoothing and an 8 mSec gate.

Comment

Nice job Jeff! The kit seems to support John Arbuckle's famous words.... "You Get What.....
                            Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

When you said "half space response" you mean against a wall?

I desperately need these....

Comment

Originally posted by swinginguitar View Post
                                When you said "half space response" you mean against a wall?

I desperately need these....
                                No, not against a wall. Half space just refers to the way we rate sensitivity on a baffle. However, in this case the speaker has the correct amount of baffle step compensation for free-standing placement 3 -4 feet out from the wall.

Comment

Working...
                                X