Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

    Wondering if the Solstice would be to much for my music room. It is a 12x12 bedroom with eight foot ceilings. Could get the speakers three feet from wall, but only six feet till I get to the recliner chair. Speakers would be about four feet apart from each other. Is this enough room ?
    Office System: Core 2 DIY Speaker, Primaluna Prologue One Tube Amp, Rega P1 turntable, Ortofon M2 phono cartridge, Marantz cd5005. Family Room: Tango, Monoprice 50w tube amp, Sony Bdp-6500 Blu Ray player, Denon DVD-1930 SACD, Direct TV HD , Samsung 55 inch 4k tv. Man Cave: Jasmine Redux, Emotiva XSP-1 preamp, XDA 2 dac, Sherbourn cd-1, xpa-200 amp, music hall 5.0 turntable, Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge. Fusion 8100, Overnight Sensations, Polk CS2 center channel, Sony BDP-S6500

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

      Originally posted by kauai82 View Post
      Wondering if the Solstice would be to much for my music room. It is a 12x12 bedroom with eight foot ceilings. Could get the speakers three feet from wall, but only six feet till I get to the recliner chair. Speakers would be about four feet apart from each other. Is this enough room ?
      Would probably not be any more of an issue with these speakers than it is with any other speakers. Personally, I think you will be fine.
      Jeff
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

        Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
        Would probably not be any more of an issue with these speakers than it is with any other speakers. Personally, I think you will be fine.
        Jeff
        Thanks Jeff for the quick reply. I am trying to figure out which kit to go with --the Solstice or your Contiuums. For a smaller room would the continuums matched with a HSU VtF-1mk2 10 inch sub do as well as the Solstice? Or would I be better off waiting for the sub you are working on to go with the Contiuums.
        Office System: Core 2 DIY Speaker, Primaluna Prologue One Tube Amp, Rega P1 turntable, Ortofon M2 phono cartridge, Marantz cd5005. Family Room: Tango, Monoprice 50w tube amp, Sony Bdp-6500 Blu Ray player, Denon DVD-1930 SACD, Direct TV HD , Samsung 55 inch 4k tv. Man Cave: Jasmine Redux, Emotiva XSP-1 preamp, XDA 2 dac, Sherbourn cd-1, xpa-200 amp, music hall 5.0 turntable, Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge. Fusion 8100, Overnight Sensations, Polk CS2 center channel, Sony BDP-S6500

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

          Originally posted by kauai82 View Post
          Thanks Jeff for the quick reply. I am trying to figure out which kit to go with --the Solstice or your Contiuums. For a smaller room would the continuums matched with a HSU VtF-1mk2 10 inch sub do as well as the Solstice? Or would I be better off waiting for the sub you are working on to go with the Contiuums.
          I find the Continuums to be an excellent match with my subwoofer, so I have no reason to believe that they won't match up with your Hsu subwoofer OK too. The Continuums will also perform better in a smaller room simply due to their limited size and displacement.

          However, there is no reason the Solstice won't do well too. They extend quite a bit deeper on their own and have higher sensitivity as well. They will play louder and will have a more dynamic midbass too.

          I think it just comes down to what your expectations are. For 90% of my listening the Continuums and Subwoofer are fantastic. If I really want to rock, then I switch to other speakers that are more efficient and can move more air above the subwoofer's range.
          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

            Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
            I find the Continuums to be an excellent match with my subwoofer, so I have no reason to believe that they won't match up with your Hsu subwoofer OK too. The Continuums will also perform better in a smaller room simply due to their limited size and displacement.

            However, there is no reason the Solstice won't do well too. They extend quite a bit deeper on their own and have higher sensitivity as well. They will play louder and will have a more dynamic midbass too.

            I think it just comes down to what your expectations are. For 90% of my listening the Continuums and Subwoofer are fantastic. If I really want to rock, then I switch to other speakers that are more efficient and can move more air above the subwoofer's range.
            Thanks Jeff, that is exactly what I need to know. Looks like the Solstice will be in my future !
            Office System: Core 2 DIY Speaker, Primaluna Prologue One Tube Amp, Rega P1 turntable, Ortofon M2 phono cartridge, Marantz cd5005. Family Room: Tango, Monoprice 50w tube amp, Sony Bdp-6500 Blu Ray player, Denon DVD-1930 SACD, Direct TV HD , Samsung 55 inch 4k tv. Man Cave: Jasmine Redux, Emotiva XSP-1 preamp, XDA 2 dac, Sherbourn cd-1, xpa-200 amp, music hall 5.0 turntable, Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge. Fusion 8100, Overnight Sensations, Polk CS2 center channel, Sony BDP-S6500

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

              Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
              Hopefully, they should be back soon.
              Thanks Jeff for a great design using all Morel drivers.

              The bad news is the shipping cost for 2 kits to Canada is $379! :(

              I can get the wood locally but I need a few details about the box.

              What are the dimensions of the slot on the back panel? What is the depth of the port shelf (from the inside surface of the back panel) and its height above the bottom panel?

              Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

                Originally posted by Audio Nut View Post
                Thanks Jeff for a great design using all Morel drivers.

                The bad news is the shipping cost for 2 kits to Canada is $379! :(

                I can get the wood locally but I need a few details about the box.

                What are the dimensions of the slot on the back panel? What is the depth of the port shelf (from the inside surface of the back panel) and its height above the bottom panel?

                Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
                Sorry, but this is a kit that I designed for Parts Express. I can't really share the cabinet and crossover details, since this is a kit that they sell exclusively. Its details are not considered public domain and I will honor that. Even if the cabinet dimensions were shared, the crossover is still not available to my knowledge.
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

                  Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                  Sorry, but this is a kit that I designed for Parts Express. I can't really share the cabinet and crossover details, since this is a kit that they sell exclusively. Its details are not considered public domain and I will honor that. Even if the cabinet dimensions were shared, the crossover is still not available to my knowledge.
                  I completed understand your position Jeff. Perhaps PE in the future can offer another version of the kit replacing the MDF with box plans. IMHO, this alternate kit would open the doors to more people.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

                    Originally posted by Audio Nut View Post
                    I completed understand your position Jeff. Perhaps PE in the future can offer another version of the kit replacing the MDF with box plans. IMHO, this alternate kit would open the doors to more people.
                    Due to all parties involved there was an agreement to only sell it as kit with the cabinet.
                    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

                      Jeff
                      You sneaked something in the first post on this thread about TL software you designed yourself. Is there any chance you will make this available with your other software?
                      I have been trying to find TL software. Martin King withdrew his, and the MathCad he used is no longer available. I have downloaded and been looking at leonardaudio.co.uk's software, but comparing it with notes from Paul K I think it is much less capable than the Martin King software. Consequently I would be quite interested in yours. Have you considered this?

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

                        Originally posted by skatz View Post
                        Jeff
                        You sneaked something in the first post on this thread about TL software you designed yourself. Is there any chance you will make this available with your other software?
                        I have been trying to find TL software. Martin King withdrew his, and the MathCad he used is no longer available. I have downloaded and been looking at leonardaudio.co.uk's software, but comparing it with notes from Paul K I think it is much less capable than the Martin King software. Consequently I would be quite interested in yours. Have you considered this?
                        Sorry Steve, but my math was just too incomplete and I would still need to grow in this area of knowledge some before having something I could share. What made it work for me was taking a lot of acoustic and impedance measurements as I went.
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X