Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

http://www.parts-express.com/solstic...r-kit--300-708

EDIT: This is for a single tower cabinet, not the pair. Seems some missed that.

Later,
    Wolf
    Last edited by Wolf; 12-26-2014, 01:00 PM. Reason: Pricing clarity
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Re: New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff!

That does look really great, and I am sitting here smiling to see Morel getting some love in kit form. Awesome.
    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Very awesome. Looks like a great kit Jeff.
      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Pricepoint is good. Im sure this will be a popular build. I like the baffle its a nice touch.
        My Build Thread's
        Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Thank you. I guess the write-up on the Solstice will be in the January flier which will be out in a couple of weeks.

This was a neat project. The Solstice turned out to be a truly exceptional speaker the really set me back on my heels when I was listening to it. There is no doubt that this really is one of the best two-ways speakers I have ever done. The midwoofer really made me rethink my thoughts about reference standard midrange reproduction. The copper sleeve drivers have amazingly low inductance for such large voice coils. The response on this speaker was incredibly flat, and while the classic Morel tweeter isn't from the Supreme line, it seems to do nothing wrong including handling the low crossover point with real finesse.

The bass system was a surprise to me. This was my first Mass Loaded Transmission Line that I designed myself. I used a combination of software that I wrote myself and near-field port and cone measurements along with impedance measurements to fine tune the design. In the end I got a system with half-space response that's flat to 30 Hz and in my room measures strong to 25 Hz. The bass will surprise you; it's flat, clean, and calls no attention to itself until there's something deep in the recording and then it's there, just like you want it to be. I left my subwoofers off for these and was very happy.

Another interesting thing I discovered when designing this speaker was that the relative acoustic offset between the midwoofers and the tweeter on the tweeter axis was 0. Due to the attachment point of the large voice coil and the sound that radiates from the dome dust cap (it's a one-piece cone) the acoustic center of the woofer is pretty far forward that of other woofers its size. The result was a time-aligned system and a symmetrical crossover with excellent phase tracking. A nice added feature on top of all of the rest.

Jeff
          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I just realized it's $500 for one speaker so add 2 if you want stereo
            My Build Thread's
            Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
              I just realized it's $500 for one speaker so add 2 if you want stereo
              The price on that kit is really good too. Just price out a pair of the woofers at the normal price or from somewhere else and then factor in that you are getting a tweeter, cabinet, crossover, and other parts too. Parts Express was pretty aggressive on the pricing. Kudos to them.

Comment

The Solstice looks really good, Jeff. It's good to see others appreciating the benefits of using the 1/4-wave resonance from the height of a floor-stander designer to optimize the design's performance.
                Paul

Comment

No squiggly lines?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                  return to the source
                  leviathan system thread
                  deadhorse thread
                  shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                    The Solstice looks really good, Jeff. It's good to see others appreciating the benefits of using the 1/4-wave resonance from the height of a floor-stander designer to optimize the design's performance.
                    Paul
                    Well, that resonance is there, so we might as well put it to work for us. It was from listening to your implementations that made me decide to do this. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                      No squiggly lines?
                      That will have to wait until the flyer is published. Then I would be glad to share whatever may be left unanswered.
                      Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                        That will have to wait until the flyer is published. Then I would be glad to share whatever may be left unanswered.
                        Jeff
                        Reminds me of the Dynaudio Focus 260, but at 1/5th the price. Very nice.
                        Eric L.

Comment

Jeff is this an actual 2 way or a 2.5 way?

The kit looks like a killer bargain given the woofer price.
                          http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
                            Jeff is this an actual 2 way or a 2.5 way?

The kit looks like a killer bargain given the woofer price.
                            Like I mentioned above, it is a two-way. I originally considered making it a 2.5 way and did some testing with that, but the whole design works much better as a 2 way, the way it was implemented.

Comment

I want comment that Erich H. at Denovo Audio created the cabinet to my specifications and came up with some very nice flat packs that fit together extremely well with window braces and a shelf/slot port on the back. The driver baffle is of double thickness with the inner holes beveled out for clearance. Erich does a wonderful job with these flat pack designs, as many of you already know. You won't be disappointed with the quality of the cabinet construction.

Comment

Working...
                              X