Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

DIY Flat Panel Speaker Love

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brewster56 View Post
    Thanks for the EPS supplier link, Unbiased. I talked with a foam manufacturer who has Type IV EPS 1.8 lbs/cubic foot, which is equivalent to the 30 grams/liter for the ultra dense on the UK website. This manufacturer also makes Type XV which is 3 lbs/cubic foot. Do you think that even the higher density as that would be better still? I am going to make a hot wire cutter to make whatever thickness I need. I also asked him about aged EPS, which is used on EIFS stucco. It is aged for 6 weeks, so it can finish outgassing, to minimize shrinking. This would likely be best to do with our DML's before sealing them.
    Yes I believe the higher density would be better but you would have to adjust the thickness of the panel to 1/4inch. (5-7mm)….Stiffer the panel material the thinner you need to make them so that they can bend/flex.

I don't really worry about the aging as by the time the EPS is made and ships to my door step its almost close to 6 weeks. lol

Comment

• Brew... I want to try the Tectonic TEBM35C10-4 first; no good reason other than flat to 20k.
      Will be either a 3 or 4 way. All other exciters will be Dayton DAEX25'S. Good to about 8 -10k for crossing to BMR. Not concerned about hearing above that (old), just want to keep any high freq distortion from the 25's. I'm a firm beliver in eliminating as much dopler distortion as possible.
      Only changing panels' size and materials.
      OB woofer (Klipsch 15). Active 4 way crossover for versitility. No high spl output needed. NO eq ever, never, nada. Stuborn and old school. A lot of times it's the room, not the speaker.
      On 3 or 4, will try to do 3 first; If not satisfactory can do one larger panel and one small. Still using the 25's for both. Means the crossover point should be flawless.
      Keep posting progress. Some of us need all the input possible as you can tell by the # of posters we are a dying breed. I was hoping to spark some opposition from the dyed in the wool full range guys. Pushing any speaker to it's limits is not the answer.
      Heed Unb...'s panel recommendations (post #1179).

Comment

• in regard to tuning the DML panels how would you do it? thanks
        g

Comment

• Ways to tune a panel.

1. Simplest one (but very effective) is damping.

2. Weights. (washers, glue, silicone, putty etc)

3. Groves and channels. (only on the back side of panel)

4. Various thicknesses through out a panel.

5. Panel "SKIN" like paper, paint, mylar, cloth etc....you can even combine different skins on the same panel...Skin needs to be real THIN as well as light. Thinner and lighter the better.

Comment

• thank you, what about a wood panel? Also, I was reading about bracing the exciter to the panel, would you have a picture to share about that?
            Thanks so much for your help and advise. Giorgio

Comment

• You can tune like this. Buy materials from the store. If you aren't happy with the materials return them and try something else. When you're happy make it permanent.

Comment

• Originally posted by giorgioPETALK View Post
                thank you, what about a wood panel? Also, I was reading about bracing the exciter to the panel, would you have a picture to share about that?
                Thanks so much for your help and advise. Giorgio
                Most of those techniques should work on the wood panel as well.....Picture was I think on pg.47

Comment

• Fine tuned my panels and now they sound even better. I bet if Kornbread heard my panels I could make him a believer again. LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X