Wireless music streaming from iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless music streaming from iMac

I seldom post, but frequently check in on TechTalk. My wife's computer died and she wound up with an iMac. I have burned CDs into another computer and moved the music to the iTunes on her computer. She had a bluetooth speaker for her iPad, but it is time to upgrade. With the room set up, I think wireless streaming to a reciever, using an amp I alread have and putting some better speakers in the room is the plan. Probably JKim's Dayton Seas with the in wall crossover option as the speakers will be going near cornerr and on wall.

My question is what is the best option for a wireless format/ receiver. Blutooth could work with the range being about 15 feet, but I think WiFi would be better quality. I am now looking at Airprot express receivers. I have an older dual channel router and my computer is a 6ish y/o Win7 machine that is showing some instability. Wife wants me to get a new computer.

My music was all burned to flac with a vortexbox with squeezebox playback (external dac), but it suddenly quit working and I am looking up how to recover it, Kernel Panic??? I thought the system worked well enough and wouldn't have changed. My brother now works for Apple and my brother-in-law is a long term Mac Maven. Needless to say, I am getting pressure to go all Apple products and use iTunes for music storage and playback. Anyone have experience or thoughts on this route?

Mahalo for your help.
    Steve

Re: Wireless music streaming from iMac

I programmed my first PC in 1979 at 5 years old (TRS-80). I stared at DOS/Windows based apps and hardware for 36 years before I had had enough. In one fail swoop, I sold my server, desktop, laptop and Blackberry. After I culled my computer hardware I began to rebuild with all Apple. My Dad has stared at computers since the UNIVAC 1005 (circa 1968), he culled at the same time as well. I will never go back to PC based computers ever again. Windows is the bane of my existence when I have to use it during the day. I converted no less than 7 coworkers to Apple. My Dad no longer calls me for tech support. For transparency purposes, I work for one of the largest PC companies in the world...

I have had the same Airport Extreme for near 4 years. I don't even know it is there. I run an Airport Express bridged to extend Wifi to the other side of the house. I forget it is there as well. Windows is notorious for Wifi connectivity issue. Throw in a unstable router and it is a recipe for hysteria. The only Wifi issues I have is when my Time Warner router dumps and wakes back up. I have used Airport Express boxes for extended audio. But if you are going to do it, start out with an Apple router as your main router. Bluetooth might work fine for your 15ft distance.
    "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
    The Roxster
    Swopes 5.0
    Acoustic Panels
    Living Room Make Over

Comment

I was a long time Windows user that converted to Mac a few years ago. I received a MacBook Pro to use at work, loved it so much I bought one for myself. It's completely replaced my desktop and never gives me trouble. Now I've got an iPhone, an iPad, an Airport Extreme and a Mac Mini home server. It's solid stuff that I highly recommend for people sick of rebooting things all the time, and especially for technically inclined people who like dropping down to a full Unix command line.

Btw, an Apple TV can take care of your streaming needs if you already have a non-airplay receiver.
      FPGraphTracer

Comment

Originally posted by fprawn View Post
        I was a long time Windows user that converted to Mac a few years ago. I received a MacBook Pro to use at work, loved it so much I bought one for myself. It's completely replaced my desktop and never gives me trouble. Now I've got an iPhone, an iPad, an Airport Extreme and a Mac Mini home server. It's solid stuff that I highly recommend for people sick of rebooting things all the time, and especially for technically inclined people who like dropping down to a full Unix command line.

Btw, an Apple TV can take care of your streaming needs if you already have a non-airplay receiver.
        ^This +1
        "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
        The Roxster
        Swopes 5.0
        Acoustic Panels
        Living Room Make Over

Comment

Apple AirPlay does what you want to achieve. AirPlay is a free app for iPhone or iPOD touch devices and Apple computers . All of the music on your Apple device can be played wirelessly via your home network to a receiver equipped with AirPlay capability. Numerous receivers from most brands these days have AirPlay capability.

I use a Marantz NR1602 receiver (later models are out now) and an iPOD Touch that holds my music. My receiver is connected by ethernet cable to my router. I select music on the iPOD touch and it is streamed over my in-home network to my receiver. My computer isn't required for this process.

Comment

Apple AirPlay runs over wifi, so the range is fantastic. That said, it's also a bit spendy, and Apple as the horrible habit of killing their standards every few years.

My brother streams AirPlay from a Windows laptop to an Android phone running compatibility software.

Comment

Apple Airplay works very well. I Have 7 zones of Airplay audio and video throughout my home with no issues.

Comment

Good to hear several thoughts on how well AirPlay works.
                I have done some reading and looked at options on Amazon from your comments and am encouraged. I have older Emotiva processer and 7 channel amp for my living room music/ home theater (with a projector) that can't take sound from HDMI outputs. I do see AirPlay receivers that are not too expensive that I could add to stream to my existing recievers. I am sensing that I should go to an Apple based music server and Apple Lossless storage. Jim's iPOD touch storage is an appealing option. More for me to read on.
                I think my basic question is well answered, and now I a leaning to scraping my recently nonfunctional vortexbox and aging PC to consider an all Apple household...
                Appreciate everyone's kind input.
                Steve

Comment

I think you mean Apple TV? Airplay is a method and not a device. At any rate, Apple TV is only $99 and works great with any system, wired or wireless. With an already Apple system it's a no-brainer.

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                  Apple AirPlay runs over wifi, so the range is fantastic. That said, it's also a bit spendy, and Apple as the horrible habit of killing their standards every few years.

My brother streams AirPlay from a Windows laptop to an Android phone running compatibility software.
                  I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                  OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                  Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                  Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                  Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                  LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by steveslagle View Post
                    Good to hear several thoughts on how well AirPlay works.
                    I have done some reading and looked at options on Amazon from your comments and am encouraged. I have older Emotiva processer and 7 channel amp for my living room music/ home theater (with a projector) that can't take sound from HDMI outputs. I do see AirPlay receivers that are not too expensive that I could add to stream to my existing recievers. I am sensing that I should go to an Apple based music server and Apple Lossless storage. Jim's iPOD touch storage is an appealing option. More for me to read on.
                    I think my basic question is well answered, and now I a leaning to scraping my recently nonfunctional vortexbox and aging PC to consider an all Apple household...
                    Appreciate everyone's kind input.
                    Steve
                    I would pass on the Airplay receiver......its limited to audio and the functionality is clunky as iOS gets more powerful. The external Add on Apple TV makes much more sense especially when your talking Home Theater. The GUI and content on the Apple TV is excellent.

Comment

Turn any PC (Linux, Windows, Mac) into an audio Airplay receiver for free:
                      http://kodi.tv/

My own host is an HTPC (low power consumption diskless/fanless/noiseless J1900 ITX based, dual audio output, Schiit USB DAC analog audio output for music, HDMI for everything else), running the standalone OpenELEC XBMC distribution (openelec.tv) off a USB stick. Streams all my iTunes/Amazon Prime Music from iPhone via Airplay headlessly, works a treat. I also use the same HTPC to rip CD/DVD/Bluray using Vortexbox when needed (booted from another USB stick), and then use OpenELEC XBMC again for both video and (headless) audio playback.
                      Last edited by rvsixer; 01-09-2015, 10:16 AM. Reason: Add openelec info.

Comment

Working...
                      X