Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kevintomb
    replied
    The extra sensitivity of the "60" version is helpful in speakers with overall higher sensitivities.
    Not so much that it has more output at one watt, but in that the extra output can be padded "Down" a bit more with a series resistor, to keep the overall tweeter impedance out of the really low territory that the "30" version dips into when not padded down much.

Leave a comment:

• davidB
    replied
    No marketing scheming here, the diaphragms are identical, just different and consistent methods of measurement.

Of course, it would help if all manufacturers would show how they measure on their spec sheets.

Leave a comment:

• jcarr
    replied
    Re: Vifa XT25TG30-04 vs XT25BG60-04 measurements

Your experience is helpful, thanks!

Next question is whether similar discrepancies are limited to the ring radiator tweeters, or whether it is prudent to take all of Tymphany's datasheet parameters with a grain of salt.

Leave a comment:

• JasonP
    replied

Trust the scanspeak data. I calculated SD for my 25tg myself and came up with about 5.5 cm2.

Leave a comment:

• jcarr
    replied

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
    I wonder how the Scanspeak R2604/832000 compares?
    XT25TG30-04 datasheet from 2014-10-11 shows the Sd to be 8.2cm2, Xmax 0.5mm (+/-0.25mm?) and fs 436Hz, while the R2604/832000 datasheet lists its Sd as 5.4cm2, Xmax as +/-0.2mm, and fs as 500Hz.

XT25BG60-04 datasheet from 2009-11-06 specifies Sd as 8.2cm2, Xmax as 0.4mm (+/-0.2mm?), and fs as 589Hz. R2604/833000 shows Sd as 5.4cm2, Xmax as +/-0.2mm, and fs as 440Hz.

Do the differences in effective diaphragm diameter mean that Scan-Speak's tweaks are kinda big, or are the differences down to how Tymphany and Scan-Speak measure?

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
    Accept my apologies.
    accepted

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Accept my apologies.

Originally posted by craigk View Post
    if you read post #3 some one ask how the SS version of this driver compared to the Vifa version.

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

How is this relevant to the topic?
    if you read post #3 some one ask how the SS version of this driver compared to the Vifa version.

Leave a comment:

• fatmarley
    replied

Because it's the Scanspeak version of the same tweeter, but with a few added tweaks IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Originally posted by craigk View Post
    the SS measure a little better

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied

.....and in this thread, assuming JohnM is the guy responsible for REW, he says that as long as the calibration file is downloaded from the minidsp website (with "sens factor" in the file), and the version of REW is at least version 5.01 (BETA 14 or newer according to the minidsp website), you're golden. No other calibration is necessary.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...uiet-room.html

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
    Crazy, huh? And these are old XT25TG30's that were compared to the new XT25BG60's.
    the SS measure a little better

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
    I didn't know the Umik was good out of the box (with cal) for SPL amounts, nice.
    Let me try to find where I read that. I'll post a link.

Leave a comment:

• JasonP
    replied

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
    4 inches from the tweeter diaphragm. It's a UMIK-1 microphone with the calibration file loaded into the software. According to what I've read, SPL readings are accurate without any other calibration necessary.

Can anyone confirm this? It seems too good to be true.
    Well that is only 4 inches, so at 1M 110 would be: ~90 db according to my calculator. Measurements seem to be valid to me for that SPL. I didn't know the Umik was good out of the box (with cal) for SPL amounts, nice.

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
    One quick question though, when you provide SPL level is that measured at the mic or a standard distance such as 1M? I am assuming the mic but I figured I'd ask to confirm.
    4 inches from the tweeter diaphragm. It's a UMIK-1 microphone with the calibration file loaded into the software. According to what I've read, SPL readings are accurate without any other calibration necessary.

Can anyone confirm this? It seems too good to be true.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X