HDMI Receiver Audio woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI Receiver Audio woes

I hope someone can help with this. I've been using a Sony HT receiver for the preamp of an audio system, with FLAC audio content supplied from a hard drive connected to a WDTV media center device. So far, so good.

But having the HDTV screen display showing during listening is driving me crazy. I need to have some kind of a display to be able to control the WDTV box and to select FLAC files to play, but I don't want to look at a TV display while the music is actually playing. Neither the WDTV box nor the HDTV provides any way to blank the screen while music is playing (do any devices even have that feature??).

What I'd ideally like is a media player that can play FLAC files out to HDMI while having its control (and tracklists) display from an Android phone or tablet, rather than use the HDTV to view all that. There are lots of ways to display the screen of an Android onto an HDTV screen, but I can't find any way to do the opposite.

I did read that XBMC boxes can use Androids as controllers, apparently displaying the tracklists to the Android for selection, but I'm not finding any (Android) screenshots showing that happening. Can anyone verify if that's true? And if so, do you have any recommendations for what XMBC box to use? They come in a range of prices, but I really only need it to play FLAC files from a connected drive, I'm not too concerned about Google Play apps or 1080p playback or all the rest.

Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks!
    Free & Free-form simulator/designer for Passive Crossovers
    SynergyCalc 5: design spreadsheet for Wooden horns and DIY Synergy Waveguides
    Super easy and cheap to make high performance sound diffusers

Re: HDMI Receiver Audio woes

I'm using a raspberry PI as media player and control it from my phone.
    If you want to use an attached HD it is quite easy and the raspberry has a HDMI port and is inexpensive.
    My Statement monitors
    My Piccolatas
    My LM3886 amp

Comment

Just wait:
      CES 2015: Google casts audio apps via Chromecast
      http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/c...udio/21276107/

Otherwise, like Silver1omo said. New server and phone. I use a Vortexbox, Sqeezebox, and iPeng app. Very slick. Lots of options.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
      CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Which WD player do you have. The features page for their current model shows a remote control app available for Android and iThing devices.

-Brent

Comment

Brent,

Thanks, but I have that app on my phone. It is essentially just a remote to be used WITH a tv screen, it doesn't display track names on the phone. So I still have to leave the HDTV connected and turned on. :(

I'm leaning toward a XBMC/Kodi box, mostly waiting for someone to suggest a good model to get (there appears to be a lot of them on the market over a range of prices). Any XBMC users out there?
          Free & Free-form simulator/designer for Passive Crossovers
          SynergyCalc 5: design spreadsheet for Wooden horns and DIY Synergy Waveguides
          Super easy and cheap to make high performance sound diffusers

Comment

Using it on a minix neo 7 box right now. So far.. its a little clunky but workable with the official remote app on this tablet. Further work: configure autostart, setup and save a playlist. We shall see!
            The hardware is very capable. Many input/output options including spdif, hdmi, usb, usb otg, analog audio. Wired and decent wireless. I use a wireless mouse for input. An audio tinkerers delight.

Xbmc setup and config will require a monitor. There is no support for seeing the minix screen on the tablet. Its nothing of interest to the android developers so any remote viewing comes from third parties. Very little out there that is robust and price concious.

I also have used airpin cast to send flac and wav to the built in airpin pro server. It works well for playing a folder of music. Have to look into playlists. Airpin server is included with most or all minix boxes. But it is available for low cost if you need to purchse. Waxrain.com. The sender will send to most dlna or upnp devices, works with a denon receiver, and a dvd player and the music player on the minix. The server will recieve from most dlna capable players like bubble, twonky, and others. Its much lighter weight than xbmc. Might be worth looking into.

Originally posted by bwaslo View Post
            Brent,

Thanks, but I have that app on my phone. It is essentially just a remote to be used WITH a tv screen, it doesn't display track names on the phone. So I still have to leave the HDTV connected and turned on. :(

I'm leaning toward a XBMC/Kodi box, mostly waiting for someone to suggest a good model to get (there appears to be a lot of them on the market over a range of prices). Any XBMC users out there?
            ~99%
            Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
            Make me a poster of an old rodeo
            Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
            To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

I switch my tv input to DNLA so I can watch a continuous rotation of my pictures from my computer when I play music though my blue ray player . It's better than watching the cd tracks on the tv .

Comment

Any XBMC users out there?
                You can do headless control via smartphone with XBMC. Here's my setup:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...62#post2037062

I use XBMC mostly for video (it replaced my WDTV Live), and only for music if I am feeling too lazy to switch to Vortexbox/iPeng (whose music file playback and internet radio options I like better). If its just a music server you are after, I would echo others suggestions here and go for a cheap fanless (therefore noiseless) solution, and running Vortexbox over XBMC (personal choice, they both do a fine job, try each the price is FREE after all).

Note Vortexbox will not stream via Airplay if that's a consideration.

Comment

... They come in a range of prices, but I really only need it to play FLAC files from a connected drive, I'm not too concerned about Google Play apps or 1080p playback or all the rest.

Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks!
                  Since the OP is only really interested in playing FLAC files from an attached HD using HDMI and control it with a tablet/phone, A fanless solution would be the best.
                  An MPD solution would be easy, a raspberry pi (or other supported HW) running Volumio or similar would be "easy" to setup and you can either use a MPD app (like mpdroid) or the web page.

I have not used XMBC, so I can't help there.
                  My Statement monitors
                  My Piccolatas
                  My LM3886 amp

Comment

Working...
                  X