Simple tweeter solder technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple tweeter solder technique

For those that solder leads to the tweeter terminals, I started doing this simple system a while ago and thought I might share.

1) Fold the leads through the hole in the tweeter terminal loosely.
    2) Pull them back and tape with painters tape to the back of the tweeter.
    3) Optionally compress the wire onto the terminal a bit with needle nose pliers.
    4) Solder.

Like so:

Tweeter solder technique tape and loop
    by JasonP75, on Flickr

It has worked well for me, and just makes life really easy.
    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Re: Simple tweeter solder technique

Placing an alligator or crocodile clip on the terminal between the wire and the terminal mount will act like a heatsink and not overheat and possibly desolder the tinsel leads to the diaphragm.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Placing an alligator or crocodile clip on the terminal between the wire and the terminal mount will act like a heatsink and not overheat and possibly desolder the tinsel leads to the diaphragm.
      Excellent point, I forgot to mention that. I haven't used that trick myself, but I keep the solder time short. Once the solder melts I count to 8 or so. I have heard horror stories of destroyed tweeter tinsel leads by soldering.
      Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)

Comment

Or a bit of wet paper towel. I count to one.

Comment

What temp's do you guys solder at?

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
            Somewhere I read at one point 500 to 550 is good for most common solder so I tend to stick with that. I am actually not sure how accurate that is, since I can't recall where I read it.

Comment

The avionic techs I know all say 700 degrees.

Comment

I'll need to post pictures of my technique - but here's a quick decription:

1 - I use an old solder iron that gets hot enough to melt plastic, but not solder
                2 - Push the solder iron hard against the terminal, in an attempt to get enough heat transfer to melt solder
                3 - Notice plastic frame has melted
                4 - Burn fingers holding terminal in place until plastic cools (needle nose pliers should always just out of reach).
                5 - Pray voice coil lead hasn't de-soldered itself from the terminal.
                6 - Get decent soldering iron and try again.

Comment

Chad, thank you, I needed a laugh today.

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
                    At about 1,000,000 degrees Fahrenheit. Well not really, but I like a good hot iron that allows me to get it done quickly. I hate having to heat the whole thing up, potentially risking the melting of plastic or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      Placing an alligator or crocodile clip. . . .

Later,
                      Wolf
                      Or an actual clip on soldering heatsink, one made of aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by chad1376 View Post
                        I'll need to post pictures of my technique - but here's a quick decription:

1 - I use an old solder iron that gets hot enough to melt plastic, but not solder
                        2 - Push the solder iron hard against the terminal, in an attempt to get enough heat transfer to melt solder
                        3 - Notice plastic frame has melted
                        4 - Burn fingers holding terminal in place until plastic cools (needle nose pliers should always just out of reach).
                        5 - Pray voice coil lead hasn't de-soldered itself from the terminal.
                        6 - Get decent soldering iron and try again.
                        That's hilarious!!! ...and yet true.

Of course heat depends on solder type. The Silver stuff needs more heat. Standard 60/40, I use enough heat to do the job without it being slow. Generally, this equates to about 480* for 60/40, and closer to 500 for the Silver- or more.

Oh yeah- I use a BlackJack Solderworx RoHS compliant unit. I really like it!

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Also use an old roll of tape to set the tweeter on so as not to damage the cone. I also like to tape the leads to the tweeter magnet when done to add a little more support.
                          If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
                          What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
                          It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

After a first-time effort with the tabs getting too hot and releasing themselves from their mounts, I started using Wolf's suggestion of a small alligator clip below the little wire hole on the terminal. Some of those small Audax and Tang Band tweeter terminals at .110 size were a bit tedious, but a small alligator clip did work quite well. I've taken to using that method when soldering to capacitors also. Although I don't use more heat than necessary, a little extra step with the clip has kept me from loosing the tabs and/or tinsel leads ever since. Taping the wire in place is also a great tip.

John A.
                            "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                            Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                            Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                            Pioneer TX-9500 II
                            Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                            Statement Monitors
                            Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                            Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                            Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Good stuff Chad

This is a timely thread after I recently destroyed two DTA-2 amps due to my soldering butchery. 3rd time's the charm tho!

Comment

Working...
                              X