Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In regards to flat panel love thread....????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In regards to flat panel love thread....????????

I didn't want to hijack so here I am. I have played with the early exciters a little bit on foam core board and they worked surprisingly well but I went to no great lengths to experiment. This new thread from Rmeinke speaking of good bass and high fidelity caught my interest. I guess I have one question and one idea. Question: it looks like the exciters stick to the surface with foam tape, wouldn't that damp some of the energy transferred to the panel? It seems a more rigid attachment would transfer more and more accurate information to any panel, am I missing something? please educate me. Idea: How about a long cone made of foam ala Ohm Walsh speaker flat on the small end to mount an exciter and the large end stuck in something to provide damping, omnidirectional. Just thinking out loud here, input?

Re: In regards to flat panel love thread....????????

The adhesive used on the exciter is not your every day foam tape, it is 3M VHB adhesive, and it is very thin yet extremely bondable to most any surface. The transmission of energy is really not an issue when using this tape as it virtually melds with whatever the material substrate is made of. More on the tape used here: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...4272242&rt=rud

Comment

RichT is definitely right about the 3M tape. Its pretty amazing stuff. But some would say that the high frequency response will improve if you attach the exciter with a very thin, hard glue that transfers every movement. I've peeled off the VHB and glued with a thin/hard glue and the differences were really small but did feel that there was a bit more clarity. Small diff but once your done testing and want a final design I would probably glue the exciter on.

Not sure on the Ohm based approach. These exciters are fun to experiment with so maybe give it a try. Exciters are fairly inexpensive so no harm in trying!!

Comment

I know another guy who went through the 'arms' with drywall screws.

I'm intrigued as well....
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          I'm intrigued as well....
          Wolf
          Ben, you have to build yourself a set of these panels...seriously... mine must finally have broken in. Didn't think a steel spider would improve over time but I'm getting some *very* delightful music from my panels tonight. Under fitty bucks for panels and exciters is absolutely ridiculous...

Oh, and Margo Timmins has visited my listening room tonight and she said Wolf is a fool if you don't try these...

Comment

I'm curious - how do you determine (1) the best dimensions for a panel and (2) the best location for an exciter on the panel? Is ther a simple process involving calculations, or is it all "by ear"?
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Hey Brian, I don't want to hijack Dwights thread here. So I posted a response in the other DML Love thread.

Comment

What about output levels? How loud can these things go without noticeable distortion?

I'm mulling around with a simple build idea in my head, but SWMBO will need to be convinced to allow new speakers, particularly ones made of big panels, into the living room....
                Brian Steele
                www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

What size panel are you thinking and what exciter?

Comment

Working...
                  X