Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper at five-year lows!! Cheaper inductors? No way...why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper at five-year lows!! Cheaper inductors? No way...why?

Anybody notice rapidly declining commodity prices over the last year or so? Anyone notice the price of copper these days?

I for one would love to see those lower prices passed on to the consumer.....the inductor consumer.

But no.

Discuss.
    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Re: Copper at five-year lows!! Cheaper inductors? No way...why?

Eh, we are conditioned to a price point on tangential commodity pricing - we were talking about that at work today, actually. Dropping copper prices means we buy Meanwell power supplies cheaper than last year, but our customers are already budgeted to pay X regardless of our cost. The way the market (outside of gasoline) works, I guess.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Yup. If the consumer keeps paying for it the price will stay the same. Same thing for laborers pay. If we keep accepting lower wages it's partly our fault. Arghh!! Must!! Stop!! Typing!!

Comment

5 years ago was only 2010. Inductors were expensive then, too. :(
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
          5 years ago was only 2010. Inductors were expensive then, too. :(
          That is true, but the neo crunch had not locked copper just yet - meaning we could buy surplus 9.6mH x 2 subwoofer crossovers from PE for less than $4.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Oil is a perishable commodity like vegetables. Plus the cost to store it is greater than it's intrinsic worth. Copper prices take much longer to get "thru the pipeline" to the consumer. The price of copper consumer products will take a year and a half or more to decline IF the commodity price of copper stays at it's current level. Silver dipped low a few years back as bullion, but silver products actually increased in price during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
              Eh, we are conditioned to a price point on tangential commodity pricing - we were talking about that at work today, actually. Dropping copper prices means we buy Meanwell power supplies cheaper than last year, but our customers are already budgeted to pay X regardless of our cost. The way the market (outside of gasoline) works, I guess.
              In a similar fashion... When is the last time you saw prices drop on something because fuel prices have now dropped and they can remove the "fuel surcharge" from your product???

Comment

Here in BC, they changed the tax structure a few years back. Prices jumped immediately on food and restaurants. It also increased their operating costs. Later, when the tax was revoked after a vote, prices did not go down.

Comment

Finished good prices don't always correlate to commodity prices. Steel is a good example of this.
                  Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                    we could buy surplus 9.6mH x 2 subwoofer crossovers from PE for less than $4.
                    I have a couple of those left . . . and wish I'd bought a lot more.

But regarding inductor pricing . . . it's going to take a while for old stock to roll out of inventory. Until it does inductors will continue to be priced based on original acquisition cost. But lower scrap prices will result in lower cost "surplus" wire appearing on the market, so the cost to "roll your own" may come down a bit.
                    "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

Anyboby seen airfare ticket prices lately? Gas is at $2/gallon, so did the airlines pass down the cost to us? Nope.
                      Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                      ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                      LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                      Sonata Soundbar Project
                      The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

A bit off topic, but check out the prices in the 1973 Speakerlab catalog.

18guage speaker wire $.06 per foot

.85 cuft walnut veneered 3/4" plywood speaker cab for $18

http://www.speakerlab.com/catalog_01_1973.html

Comment

Don't know what the future holds for inductor prices.

And also wonder what it means for the petty (and not so petty) copper theft crimes all over the country...

Comment

Remember approximately 35 years ago when the Hunt brothers were manipulation the silver market and the price of silver went through the roof? Eastman Kodak nearly doubled the prices of their films citing this as the cause. However, a little research proved a roll of 24 exposure 126 cartridge film only had 18 cents worth of silver in the emulsion and this was at the higher rate. Did film prices decrease after the Hunt brothers were shot down and silver prices dropped to normal? Nope...
                            "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

I'm sorry but film and halide paper prices crashed with the Hunt Brothers scheme. Tri-X-120 went from nearly $4 a roll back to it's current $2.10. What DID happen was the development of "T-grain" film like Kodak T-400 Pan with the grain structure of about ISO 50 film and the widest density range of any film every made. It stayed at $4 a roll. Electronic photography started and the consumer demand for halide films started declining while the military/astrophoto demand skyrocketed. The cost per square foot of halide film is the same today as it was in 1975, adjusted for size demand and emulsion type. Kodak/Fuji/Rollei(Agfa) and India/China are coating more silver film square footage than ever in history. Bollywood/Brazil/Korea's movie industries are far outstripping Hollywood's draw-down from film. India and Brazil put out 100 "super smash movies" a MONTH for Hollywood's 10 a year in ticket sales. Source: Cine Magazine.

Comment

Working...
                              X