Front End Blind Test: $12k vs $700 systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front End Blind Test: $12k vs $700 systems

Not making any personal judgements here, but saw this posted on another forum and though folks here might be interested:

http://matrixhifi.com/contenedor_ppec_eng.htm
    Dan N.

Re: Front End Blind Test: $12k vs $700 systems

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
    Not making any personal judgements here, but saw this posted on another forum and though folks here might be interested:

That's an interesting blog, thanks for sharing. The test results would hugely be dictated by the speakers they used, and I've never heard those speakers before.
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
      That's an interesting blog, thanks for sharing. The test results would hugely be dictated by the speakers they used, and I've never heard those speakers before.
      The speakers are there to act as a constant, however that is not always acceptable to the anti-DBX'ers.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
        The speakers are there to act as a constant, however that is not always acceptable to the anti-DBX'ers.
        I'm not anti DBX at all, but certain speakers aren't capable of playing those subtle differences.
        "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
        "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

They have WAF in Spain.

Comment

Stuff like this makes me smile
            http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
              I'm not anti DBX at all, but certain speakers aren't capable of playing those subtle differences.
              Yup. If there are differences in electronics, it will almost certainly take very revealing speakers to do a proper test.

Francis
              Francis

Comment

Its not like ATC makes low quality speakers... ATC drivers are top notch and that Vifa tweeter has very clean measurements.
                http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
                  Its not like ATC makes low quality speakers... ATC drivers are top notch and that Vifa tweeter has very clean measurements.
                  Yep, very high reputation on the ATC monitors.

The results of this test are definitely not the 50/50 results some might expect - but the results may not be what people want.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post

We've been over this one, poorly designed systems will sound poor.

When I see people can actually set up a proper system, then I will be interested in their results. The 700 dollar system had all the advantages to sound better but it sucks just like the high end system.
                    “Never ask people about your work.”
                    ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

Thanks Dave -

Great article. Good to know before I dropped my 401K money on $$$ components.
                      I think we should do more DBTs at meet-ups - like for capacitors comparisons, for instance.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I'd love to take part in a DBT comparing the various classes of solid state and tube amps!

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                          ... I think we should do more DBTs at meet-ups - like for capacitors comparisons, for instance.
                          Don't forget about audiophile power cables. :D
                          1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                          2: Computer > Schiit Übered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Originally posted by doctormorbius View Post
                            Don't forget about audiophile power cables. :D
                            Those aren't effective unless you use audiophile grade wall outlets ;)

Francis
                            Francis

Comment

Is there a difference between solar, wind, oil, nat gas, coal or nuclear power supplies for audio?
                              Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                              DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X