Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. Anyone using personal cloud storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Anyone using personal cloud storage?

I saw a coupon for Best Buy for some pretty good prices on 2 to 6 gig cloud storage devices and I've been thinking about doing this for awhile.

I mostly use a laptop to store speaker files, pictures of projects, etc. But also have a ton of stuff on a desktop and even lately have been using an iPad to do some stuff with. I think it would be nice to have an easy way of keeping it all safe and in one place without having to plug stuff in constantly.

Best Buy's really good sales were on Western Digital stuff, although I've heard that their drives were not as good as Seagate's, which is what I've been using as plug-in backup drives.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/wd...eut=1800320334

Do any of you use personal cloud storage, and what do you like/dislike about it?

Thanks for any input,
    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Re: O.T. Anyone using personal cloud storage?

I don't, and never will. It's the 'safe' part of the equation that concerns me. Anything can be hacked.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I've used Dropbox for ages to protect files from accidental PC failure and so on, as well as share them between computers, notebooks, and tablets. I like everything about it, and dislike nothing.
      Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
      Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Big fan of copy.com.
        Used it since its inception - can sync between my PCs and Android devices, plus it can automatically upload any photos from any of my devices directly.
        15G free storage with no limit on file size.
        https://copy.com?r=8jLy2a

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          I don't, and never will. It's the 'safe' part of the equation that concerns me. Anything can be hacked.
          ^^This is my paranoia as well.^^

My internet connection at home is only 768kbps download speed, so I don't really want to have to wait a few minutes for a few MB PDF to open. Also, I don't like the dependency of being on-line to access files.

I have an Intel atom based PC (very low power consumption and very small form factor) that I have set up with a 3 TB enterprise hard drive as a linux backup server. We have 3 laptops and 2 desktop PCs that I backup data to the server regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
            Agree 100%- and fundamentally, I don't have anything requiring instantaneous-access-from-anywhere which I couldn't have in my possession at need; I also don't see it as paranoid to have some ...trepidation about granting phone/tablet apps unfettered access to such info as my contacts and calling history.

Ed Henderson

Comment

The OPs question was about at home storage, not internet services. This is all off topic.
              I happen to be interested in comments about the original question.

Comment

I have 12 terabytes in my tower and 8 terabytes in externals,so that would be my cloud with no need to go to the net.
                I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left ...

Comment

I used to run my own FTP site out of my house before dropbox et al came along for this reason. I like the IDEA of personal cloud storage, but it's just that dropbox is SO EASY. Then there's OneDrive, which is not not quite as easy as dropbox, but is immensely powerful.

A friend of mine showed me how he used a rpi to set up VPN at his house, and then keeps tons of storage behind that firewall. Great idea, but it seems like a lot of work to get up, and probably maintenance to keep up with security updates.

I don't exactly like the fact that Microsoft and Dropbox have my files (but they don't have ALL of them. some I still keep in the house on disconnected storage), but it's hard to beat ease of use.
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I too have limited bandwidth at home so cloud storage is not a viable option for me.

I guess I can see where for some situations it would be advantageous, but my concern is not so much about the privacy issue as it is about control of your data.

I seen an interview with Oracle CEO Larry Ellison back in the 90s, and he hated people owning hard drives so much he was joking about buying Seagate just to shut the production lone down.

A lot of software developers want a steady income stream in addition to the selling price of their software. They would prefer to maintain control over their product and only allow you to access it on a monthly fee basis.

I fear that widespread adoption of cloud based solutions will bring them closer to their dreams of limiting what their consumers do with their products.

Comment

The one advantage to using cloud based storage over home based storage is that if you ever have a disaster at your home, insurance can rebuild it, but if you don't have any off-site data backup, you just lost all your family photos, financial records, etc. There is a separate issue of whether you trust someone else to hold that valuable data.

You can also do home based backups and take them to safe deposit box or a friends house every couple of months.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by msibilia View Post
                        The one advantage to using cloud based storage over home based storage is that if you ever have a disaster at your home, insurance can rebuild it, but if you don't have any off-site data backup, you just lost all your family photos, financial records, etc. There is a separate issue of whether you trust someone else to hold that valuable data.

You can also do home based backups and take them to safe deposit box or a friends house every couple of months.

Marc
                        All my photographs are on at least 2 computers. They are also on my Raid 0 NAS, which is currently disconnected. They are also mostly backed up "in the cloud". And I am thinking about putting a 2.5" hard drive with all the photographs in my parents fire safe which is 100 miles away.

Think I have it covered?
                        -Dan
                        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
                          The OPs question was about at home storage, not internet services. This is all off topic.
                          I happen to be interested in comments about the original question.
                          Doh, I somehow missed the "personal" in front of the cloud storage! *sheepish*
                          Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                          Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I also do not trust the cloud. I run 4x2TB drives in Raid-5 on an ancient controller in my home "server". Started out with 4x1.5TB drives and as they fail I have been replacing them. I would not use an off the shelf product intended for home use; IME the drives they put inside them simply do not last. Enterprise grade drives are worth the extra cost IMO, as is some thought to a proper enclosure with vibration damping and cooling, etc.

Near future plan is to move these drives into a new server running FreeNAS in order to ditch the controller (eliminating a single point vulnerability), and set up offsite backup to a trusted friend's server for the really important stuff. To this end, I'm leaning toward BitTorrent Sync as it looks really straightforward to set up.

Comment

I've deployed the WD MyCloud devices for automatically backing up clients' data files on-site; never used any of the "cloud" features though, basically just using them as (very affordable) NAS.

On my own PCs, I use crashplan.com - backing up my own "irreplaceable" stuff to their cloud (400+ bit encryption is acceptable to me for privacy), and backing up some friend/family PCs to my own HDD.

I have my own W2K8 server (containing two 2TB mirrored arrays) which I use for nightly system image storage, and also provide remote HTTP / FTP access to files (e.g. sharing out work to clients, getting at my music library from a mobile device).

Comment

Working...
                              X