Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

    On another thread I posted this as a reply, but I'll post it here. My best friend, an IT guru for the largest telecom, gave me a Beta (maybe a pre-launch?) copy of Windows 10. This is the long-awaited replacement "Business Windows XP/7) that is really backwardly compatible.
    Healthcare providers have to run XP because Medicare/Medicaid do.
    I ran an old Win95 3.5" floppy drive game under Win10B without making a keystroke and it played perfectly. With 2G RAM and Quad core 2.8 meg Processor (Heybridge 45 watt Intel), it runs superfast.
    I had no use for Win Hate, and Win9 isn't worth $400+ over Win7 to me. Windows 10 give you back the control over your device(s) the way you want to. It took less than 30 minutes to install on my desktop and transfer my data internally from my Win7 HD to the HD I put Win10 on. Slick!

  • #2
    Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

    Hmmmm. So there may be a ray of hope for Lunatic Fringe, that awesome game inside certain editions of the After Dark screen saver. Cool! I've been looking for a W98 machine that isn't yet terminally ill so I can play it again. Yeah, that other stuff is cool if it works, but I really miss that game. I have a Mac that won't run it either. I'm sure there are dozens of us who would gladly pay big money, like even $15, to get it to go. ;)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

      Originally posted by Liberator of Magic Smoke View Post
      Hmmmm. So there may be a ray of hope for Lunatic Fringe, that awesome game inside certain editions of the After Dark screen saver. Cool! I've been looking for a W98 machine that isn't yet terminally ill so I can play it again. Yeah, that other stuff is cool if it works, but I really miss that game. I have a Mac that won't run it either. I'm sure there are dozens of us who would gladly pay big money, like even $15, to get it to go. ;)
      On this note, anybody remember the "Hall of Tortured Souls" game in Excel 95? Archaic, I must say.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

        I'm jazzed because because it doesn't it doesn't eat-up resources "housekeeping" all the time. It detects low usage times and does the "stuff" then. It's like the first time in decades the OS was written by someone who really uses a computer, but can't write his own code or program C++ in his sleep.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

          I'm keeping my fingers crossed for free or uber cheap upgrades for Win XP (which I'm still using), Win 8.1 (on my laptop) and Win 7 (I have a copy of it somewhere around here).
          1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
          2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

            Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
            On another thread I posted this as a reply, but I'll post it here. My best friend, an IT guru for the largest telecom, gave me a Beta (maybe a pre-launch?) copy of Windows 10. This is the long-awaited replacement "Business Windows XP/7) that is really backwardly compatible.
            Healthcare providers have to run XP because Medicare/Medicaid do.
            I ran an old Win95 3.5" floppy drive game under Win10B without making a keystroke and it played perfectly. With 2G RAM and Quad core 2.8 meg Processor (Heybridge 45 watt Intel), it runs superfast.
            I had no use for Win Hate, and Win9 isn't worth $400+ over Win7 to me. Windows 10 give you back the control over your device(s) the way you want to. It took less than 30 minutes to install on my desktop and transfer my data internally from my Win7 HD to the HD I put Win10 on. Slick!
            Win9?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

              Windows 9 is available now from Tiger Direct and Newegg. You have to have Win8.1 installed and the upgrade is $400-ish. Like Win8's big thing was for touch-screens, Win9 is for the new class of super-duper high power laptops that have the low power consumption. It comes installed on the new $8 grand+ laptops. MS hasn't made a big deal about it because if you don't have one of the super laptops/tablets, it really doesn't gain you much that I can see, or that Remy (my friend) thinks is worthwhile.
              MS has announced "end of life support" for Windows 7 on their website. You can pay them a yet to be determined price for "extended support" which I knew was coming. The "life cycle" of each OS is getting shorter and shorter.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

                Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                Windows 9 is available now from Tiger Direct and Newegg. You have to have Win8.1 installed and the upgrade is $400-ish. Like Win8's big thing was for touch-screens, Win9 is for the new class of super-duper high power laptops that have the low power consumption. It comes installed on the new $8 grand+ laptops. MS hasn't made a big deal about it because if you don't have one of the super laptops/tablets, it really doesn't gain you much that I can see, or that Remy (my friend) thinks is worthwhile.
                MS has announced "end of life support" for Windows 7 on their website. You can pay them a yet to be determined price for "extended support" which I knew was coming. The "life cycle" of each OS is getting shorter and shorter.
                Hmm. I searched both of those sites and came up empty. Got a link?
                You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

                ~Pink Floyd

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

                  A dollar says they find a way to screw it up (probably after mandatory input from a division named something along the lines of "accounting engineering"). ...that or a 6 year old in Russia will reveal numerous security flaws that cause MAJOR issues (but only after conveying multiple private warnings directly to MS that were ignored).

                  I'm no computer guru but I have been alive long enough to know better. ...or maybe I'm just bitter that I'm typing this on a Win7 machine and I know what POS Win8 is. My employer gave me a mediocre Win8 tablet/laptop hybrid (after telling us we were all getting MS Surface Pro's). Glad they are going to eat the Win 8 turd sandwich instead of me. Long term I hope they're mistake is a cheap way out for my bridge between W7 and something better.



                  Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                  On another thread I posted this as a reply, but I'll post it here. My best friend, an IT guru for the largest telecom, gave me a Beta (maybe a pre-launch?) copy of Windows 10. This is the long-awaited replacement "Business Windows XP/7) that is really backwardly compatible.
                  Healthcare providers have to run XP because Medicare/Medicaid do.
                  I ran an old Win95 3.5" floppy drive game under Win10B without making a keystroke and it played perfectly. With 2G RAM and Quad core 2.8 meg Processor (Heybridge 45 watt Intel), it runs superfast.
                  I had no use for Win Hate, and Win9 isn't worth $400+ over Win7 to me. Windows 10 give you back the control over your device(s) the way you want to. It took less than 30 minutes to install on my desktop and transfer my data internally from my Win7 HD to the HD I put Win10 on. Slick!
                  Thanks,
                  Aaron

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

                    Will Win10b run my old copy of Mechwarrior3 without errors? that would be the only thing that will get ANY $$ out of me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

                      Mark, really I got them in my e-mails from Newegg and Tiger Direct under "Computer Software". If you have an HP the upgrade is a different price than a Lenova(sp?) or Toshiba, etc. I just now dumped my browser history (no lie man). I just opened the "specials" to see if there was anything I couldn't live without and there it was. I think it's on MS site, but finding it may be a pain.

                      MG, I don't know that game for certain, but Remy told me this is the long awaited business Windows that lets people keep their current servers without 2 billion "patches". Aaron has the points businesses have b**ched about. Amazon and eBay haven't played "new" with MS, and think of the money that's cost MS. It's getting close to the melt-down point with MS. There's XP support from Germany(same company as AVG) and some tiny island in the Mediterranean based company that's good and reasonably priced.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

                        There is nothing wrong with Windows 8/8.1 once you install a simple program to return the Start button. After that, it works just like Windows 7 .. but its faster, more stable, and more secure.

                        This is all you need.

                        http://www.classicshell.net/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

                          Originally posted by rhubarb9999 View Post
                          There is nothing wrong with Windows 8/8.1 once you install a simple program to return the Start button. After that, it works just like Windows 7 .. but its faster, more stable, and more secure.

                          This is all you need.

                          http://www.classicshell.net/
                          Agreed, IMO. No computer techie, me, but I bought an inexpensive laptop a year ago now running Windows 8.1. I like the touchscreen option, though I use the desktop interface most of the time.

                          We bought a Macbook Air for my wife on the recommendation of two of our sons.....maybe I'm too set in my ways, but I can't say I find it any more intuitive or easy to use. I will likely wait for Windows 10 reviews before I would commit to another Apple (I still need a new desktop machine).

                          $1,200 for the MB Air vs. $279 for my cheap laptop! :( The MB Air is very nice hardware, admittedly, with unbeatable battery life for the money, I just can't get used to the interface yet. Hope W10 is better.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

                            My question is will there be problems with drivers if you try to upgrade from 7 to 10? Proprietary drivers too often have issues with upgrades.

                            dlr
                            WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

                            Dave's Speaker Pages

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Good news someday soon from MicroSnot

                              Originally posted by dlr View Post
                              My question is will there be problems with drivers if you try to upgrade from 7 to 10? Proprietary drivers too often have issues with upgrades.
                              Good question. I wouldn't care if they released a new Windows every year if the damn inherent driver issues from moving to a new release would go away forever.
                              Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                              Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X