Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active 2.1 overnight sensations?

Hey guys!

I'm back. Last summer I built a 2.1 Swope setup which I immensely enjoy and impress each and every guest. Thank you so much Paul Carmody.

Next summer is not really that far away and snow will disappear in a month or two. So I am looking for next summer's project:

Desktop computer setup consisting of Overnight Sensations. I want an active setup, and I want to explore the possibilities to build amplification into one of the speakers to power both channels, and hopefully also a sub as well (maybe using the Dayton DC200-8?).

For that I will need a 2.1 amplification board to integrate with one of the OS speakers. On Chinese sites there are several options using the Texas Instruments TPA3116 chip. I just bought a small 2.0 standard stereo amp using the TPA3116 to power my son's speakers that I built and the sound is quite decent for such low price stuff.

HERE is one example from eBay of such a 2.1 board. Do you guys know anything about the TPA3116 2.1 amp boards? Is this a good idea or should I look at other options? It has to be low cost and it has to be decent quality. This 2.1 setup will end up at my office in church so it has to be good. Sound quality is an important working environment issue!

Later guys.
    Last edited by pastorola; 01-26-2015, 09:21 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Thank God the World is bigger than my view of it.

Re: Active 2.1 overnight sensations?

Maybe that was too much text for the first post.

I want to build Overnight Sensations with built-in amplification, looking for a 2.1 amp board to power the OS and a sub. Looking for the best options among the many cheap amp boards. Looking at the boards using the TPA3116 chip, like THIS ONE, and I wonder what you guys have to say about it. Are amp boards like these a good option, or how would you build an active 2.1 setup centered around the Overnight Sensation speakers?

I think the best idea would be to place the amp in one of the OS speakers and connect ordinary speaker cables to the other OS speaker and the passive sub. Or do you have a better idea? I want the volume and sub level knobs easily accessible.

Comment

i built an OS Boombox in a 2.1 configuration . one problem you may have is the OSs are kind of small and it was challenge enough just getting the XOs inside ...
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...s-Build-Thread

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ighlight=tyger

Comment

I was thinking of this too. Most 2.1 amps are kind of mediocre with not very steep crossover slopes between the sub and the mains. This probably won't fit in an Overnight Sensation tho you might be able to fit it in the sub, or just build it as an outboard control box. Either way for the money it's probably going to be the highest quality solution available right now that I'm aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
            I was thinking of this too. Most 2.1 amps are kind of mediocre with not very steep crossover slopes between the sub and the mains. This probably won't fit in an Overnight Sensation tho you might be able to fit it in the sub, or just build it as an outboard control box. Either way for the money it's probably going to be the highest quality solution available right now that I'm aware of.
            THIS amp board is 83x100 mm, what is that in inches? Something like 3,27x3,94 inches? Is that too big to fit inside the Overnight Sensation?

Comment

That looks really interesting, but I'm afraid it might be a little bit too complicated for me. I can solder XO parts and stuff, but have never worked with a PCB like that. I think I need something more ready-made, so I only need to connect power source, input signal (RCA or 3,5 mm) and speaker terminals, if you get the idea... I'm not sure I can pull off a stunt like building Tyger's board.

Comment

Actually I have a computer engineering degree (I constructed a Bluetooth wireless solution for Sony Playstation2 Dualshock2 controllers in 2002 together with two friends (yes that was before Sony implemented Bluetooth in the PS3)) but since I left that path for another profession, those skills are mostly forgotten...

Comment

I just did a sprite build (here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...n-Solid-Cherry) with an on board dayton DTA-2 amp and it was a bit challenging; and I think it's just an OK amp. If I was doing a 2.1 desktop setup, I would mount an external Lepai amp on the back of the sub like like CajunJeff did on his build (see pg 5 of buildthread here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=sprite) rather than do the internal amp. But that's mainly because I prefer the woodworking to the electronics part of this hobby; so soldering crossovers is plenty enough of a challenge for me.
                  Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by pastorola View Post
                    THIS amp board is 83x100 mm, what is that in inches? Something like 3,27x3,94 inches? Is that too big to fit inside the Overnight Sensation?
                    I think that can be made to fit in an Overnight Sensation if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
                      I just did a sprite build (here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...n-Solid-Cherry) with an on board dayton DTA-2 amp and it was a bit challenging; and I think it's just an OK amp. If I was doing a 2.1 desktop setup, I would mount an external Lepai amp on the back of the sub like like CajunJeff did on his build (see pg 5 of buildthread here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=sprite) rather than do the internal amp. But that's mainly because I prefer the woodworking to the electronics part of this hobby; so soldering crossovers is plenty enough of a challenge for me.
                      Yeah, that's an option. Although I'm challenged by the thought of building it in a way that places the knobs on the front of of one of the Overnight Sensation speakers. That would be sooo cool. Just like WWWJD did but in a 2.1 setup.

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
                        I think that can be made to fit in an Overnight Sensation if you want.
                        That's what I thought too. Question is: are these boards any good? You mentioned the sub crossover slope might not be that steep. I read somewhere about the Lepai LP-168 that people thought the bass channel was almost useless due to very flat XO slope...

Comment

Would something like the Dayton 2.1 plate amp work? Part #300-771. You could mount it to the back of your sub and just build the Overnight Sensations to spec.

Comment

I have two 2.1 systems with the Dayton 2.1 plate amp. Very nice setup, but you lose the cool factor of knobs on the speaker. I also have a 2.1 system using Tyger's amp that I linked above. That is a very capable amp that sounded excellent when I hooked it up to some big speakers in my living room. It does not have the flexibility of the Dayton amp as far as adjusting the crossover point. You build in the crossover freq.

Comment

Originally posted by pastorola View Post
                              That's what I thought too. Question is: are these boards any good? You mentioned the sub crossover slope might not be that steep. I read somewhere about the Lepai LP-168 that people thought the bass channel was almost useless due to very flat XO slope...
                              Unfortunately I do not know, hopefully someone does and can chime in, but in my experience most plate amps and sub amps only have a 12db per octave crossover, and when you're trying to cross a sub as high as possible to take as much stress as possible off of smaller woofers the steeper the slope the better in my experience, which is why the MiniDSP or DIY 2.1 amp mentioned in the other thread are such attractive options. They cost a bit more but offer better crossovers including the ability to high pass the mains and also in the case of the MiniDSP and maybe the DIY 2.1 amp the ability to add some EQ to the sub as well to really get the most desired response. I know these things are a bit overkill for a small budget project but once you get used to them it's really hard to go back.

Comment

Working...
                              X